Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2005 * Archive through November 29, 2005 * Pump and QD's < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Mike Huss
Advanced Member
Username: Mikhu

Post Number: 926
Posted From: 24.123.94.154
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I came across some money to spend and I'm ready to order a pump. I know what to buy there, but I also want to try to cover all the QD's that I'll need. Here are my thoughts:

Male QD straight through coupling insert, 1/2" MPT, (Item #60796), permanently attached - 7 total:

BK out
CFC in
MLT out
Pump in
Pump out
HERMS in (future)
HERMS out (future)

Hoses w/ female QD straight through hose barb bodies (Item #60674) on both ends - 4 total (8 QD's)

Does this look reasonable, or am I missing an insert or two or are 4 hoses not enough? Also, what is the proper hose to buy for the hose assemblies? Is Norprene the good stuff I recall people talking about? $2.89/ft seems awfully expensive. This silicone tubing would be much easier on the wallet at $1.10/ft. I assume it would also be acceptable?

I realize this stuff has all been asked before, but when I searched I got a bunch of threads that talked about all kinds of different stuff, so I wanted to try to catch it in one thread.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 3983
Posted From: 24.57.229.8
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your estimate seems good to me, Mike. I would use reinforced vinyl tubing for everything but the hoses from the kettle to the pump and on to the chiller. For those I would use silicone; the Norprene tubing is very nice but overkill. I've never had any problem with the braided vinyl seriously deforming at mash temperatures. As I see it, that means you could use two reinforced vinyl hoses and two of silicone.

At least that's how I see it. However, as Dan L. says, I could be all wet.

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 2000
Posted From: 208.49.148.10
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Make sure you get the polysulfone QD's because of the higher temp rating. Also I think it best to avoid the QD's with shutoffs as they restrict the flow with a pump. Think I remember that from Moving Brews info. Some of the fittings will have a X in the opening that most folks cut out to avoid getting grain or hops particles caught in them and restricting the flow.

They're not cheap but you will be happy you have them.

Mike Huss
Advanced Member

Post Number: 927
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good call Bill, saves even more money. Thanks!

Vance, the item #'s that I referred to are the polysulfone ones, I remembered those conversations.

Tom Gardner
Advanced Member
Username: Tom

Post Number: 725
Posted From: 162.119.240.105
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 05:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would recommend thicker-walled silicone tubing. I use 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD which works well. Tom

Joseph Listan
Advanced Member
Username: Poonstab

Post Number: 866
Posted From: 66.192.83.65
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike,

Think carefully about your hoses. You probably don't want a QD directly attached to the pump. Instead, the pump has barb fittings attached, which connect to the hoses. Then, at the end of the hoses, you put FEMALE(qd end) x BARBED (hose end) QDs (shutoff QDs here are nice).

So all of your vessels have male qd X male pipe thread, and the two hoses for the pump terminate in female QDs.

Don't forget chiller hookups, which means at least one more male qd X [whatever you do to attach to the chiller input].

Just be absolutely sure you get all the connections figured out perfectly before you order. Then order one extra of each kind.

Mike Huss
Advanced Member

Post Number: 928
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joseph, let me make sure I'm following you here regarding your first paragraph. You are saying instead of having male QD inserts attached to the pump, you would use regular hose barbs and permanently attach hoses to the inlet and the outlet of the pump with female QD's at each end? I guess that makes sense, but if you use shutoff QD's at the end of the hoses how do you prime the pump? There isn't anywhere for the air to go? Or would you use a diverter valve of some sort at the pump exit instead of just a regular ball valve?

RE: your second paragraph - that was my plan.

RE: your third paragraph - I listed the CFC input under my list of male QD x MPT connectors.

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 2003
Posted From: 208.49.148.10
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 10:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vance, the item #'s that I referred to are the polysulfone ones

Good, one of the links you posted had the specs for polyproplene and polysulfone QD's.

Also I found some descrepancies between the USP website and their catelog with the part #'s when I got ready to order. I called them to place the order to make sure I got the right things. Don't remember which place was right or wrong. And after counting and counting again I came up one fitting short.

Brandon Dachel
Username: Brandon

Post Number: 1707
Posted From: 12.161.154.108
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only input I can offer is to use the reinforced tubing. On my system I tend to run into problems where the tubing gets warm and flexible and kinks - restricting flow. Also - order more than you think you need. Unless you have the perfect layout (which I don't yet) you end up bending the hoses more than you'd like which can make kinking worse. Of course, that said, the more hose you have, the more head loss you have and more wort left in the system (and this also affects dough-in volumes).

I think I understand what Joe is getting at...it's an interesting idea.

ELK
Username: Elkski

Post Number: 1215
Posted From: 67.177.25.240
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike can you tally your whole order including part #'s for hte pump and everything and where you plan to order...Then guys like me can copy you or tell the wife for xmas gift..

Mike Huss
Advanced Member

Post Number: 930
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 04:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will do Elk. I'm going to get it all from either B3 or NB, because once I tallied up all the connectors at USP the shipping was going to be $22, which ate up all the savings on the price of the parts. I'll probably order from NB because the pump is a wee bit cheaper than at B3 and shipping from the Twin Cities to here is cheap. After I order I'll post the list.

Mike Huss
Advanced Member

Post Number: 931
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I ordered from NB. Here is the list:

Qty 1 P/N 7351 - March 809-PL-HS Pump
Qty 8 P/N P016 - CPC Fem Disc 1/2" Barb
Qty 7 P/N P017 - CPC Male Disc 1/2" MPT
Qty 10 P/N 7128 - 1/2" Thermoplastic Tubing

They don't carry silicone tubing so I got the high-temp thermoplastic instead. I bought 7 male disconnects so even if I don't use them on the pump I will have a couple to use elsewhere in the future. They are the cheap part of the QD's anyway.

Total with shipping to eastern WI: *gulp* ~$285. B3 would have been about $295.

*edited to add NB part numbers*

(Message edited by mikhu on November 23, 2005)

ELK
Username: Elkski

Post Number: 1216
Posted From: 67.177.25.240
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 12:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You only needed 10' of hose???
I might just tell the wife thats what I need for Xmas and a JD sight glass.

Why1504
Intermediate Member
Username: Why1504

Post Number: 272
Posted From: 68.62.162.49
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joseph,
My pump has threads on it to which I have used couplers to screw in the male QD's. Are you saying I should replace this with barb fittings? If so, why? I really want to disconnect these fittings between brew sessions to allow the interior of the tubing to air dry.

Also, I have read here that I need to remove the X inside the QD's. What is the best method to accomplish this? I have concerns that should I not get a good clean cut it would be a place to harbor gunk and bacteria.

Thanks.

Brandon Dachel
Username: Brandon

Post Number: 1708
Posted From: 12.161.154.108
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

> I have concerns that should I not get a good
> clean cut it would be a place to harbor gunk and
> bacteria.

Well you do plan on cleaning after you brew, right? :-) Regardless, this area will be cleaned of bacteria during recirculation. And if that doesn't do the job, pumping 200F wort through will.

This is the first I've heard about removing the X inside the QD. Must investigate...

Mike Huss
Advanced Member

Post Number: 933
Posted From: 71.98.44.65
Posted on Saturday, November 26, 2005 - 02:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Elk, I only ordered 10' of that hose because I only plan on using it for the boiling temp transfers. That will give me two 5' hoses. I plan on making the other hoses (MLT exit,etc) out of the braided vinyl stuff that I buy locally. I hope it's enough for two hoses, otherwise I guess I'll have an excuse for another order.