Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2006 * Archive through February 02, 2006 * What does WP stand for? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Little Dipper
Username: Littledipper

Post Number: 42
Posted From: 69.208.94.28
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. I'm brewing a beer for a competition and the form that I have to fill out with the recipe details includes the following:

KF Volume
KF Gravity
Boil Start/Stop
WP Start/Stop
Rest Start/Stop
KO Start/Stop
KO Temp
KO Gravity

Now I've figured the following: KF means kettle full (or something similar), KO means knock out (as in time, temp and gravity when wort is chilled). But what does WP mean? It's obviously looking for some times when WP starts and stops, but I don't know what that means. Can anyone help me out? Also, I'm assuming the rest is any time between chilling and moving to the fermenter, but I'm not positive on that one either. Sorry if this is a silly question, but this is my first comp. Thanks.

David Woods
Advanced Member
Username: Beericon

Post Number: 726
Posted From: 4.186.147.207
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that WP stands for Whirlpool. It seems correct since it is right after the boil on the sheet.

What competition gets THAT technical? Inquiring minds want to know!

David

Little Dipper

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 12:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good call - I never even thought of that. It's kind of a different comp. They gave us 5 gallons of wort (and the grain bill and temps), then we add the hops and yeast and whatever else. It's a nice way to ease into comps for me. Plus at $10, you can't go wrong. Thanks.

David Woods
Advanced Member
Username: Beericon

Post Number: 728
Posted From: 4.186.147.207
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pretty cool!

If ya don't mind, what did ya do with the wort? Did ya leave it alone or add more fermentables?

Did it make a good beer?

The brewclub that I am in did this but it was the summer before I joined. Sounds like fun.

David

Little Dipper

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 01:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, the rules were that you couldn't add any fruits or adjuncts to raise the gravity. You can add up to 1 lb. of steeped grain and hops and yeast were not restricted.

The recipe they gave us was a real basic pale ale mash, so I hopped the hell out of it. Actually it shouldn't be too over the top, but I'm hoping for lots of hop aroma.