Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2006 * Archive through February 15, 2006 * Eau de Vie - Starter and Sulfer < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Scott Manning
Username: Liquidbreaddiet

Post Number: 194
Posted From: 70.20.6.164
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As stated yesterday I was planning on making a batch of ABC - This morning when going to bump up my starter, I pulled the airlock out of the flask and practically got my teeth kicked in by the amount of sulfer coming out of it. Is this normal? My starter consisted of 3 bottles of malta goya + 25% water and a tsp of yeast nutrient. Blasted with O2 for about 5 min then on the stirplate all night long. I have never used this strain before so i am unsure what to expect.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 4662
Posted From: 24.57.229.8
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, this strain can produce some sulfur, especially if fermented somewhat warm, as would be the case with a starter. Don't worry about it; the sulfur will dissipate.

Scott Manning

Post Number: 195
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks bill - the smell reminded me of my days in the chem lab. Glad to know it will disipate

Scott Manning

Post Number: 196
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 07:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Woke up this morning to the stench of rotton eggs throughout the house!!!!! Pitched my 1.5 L starter into the ABC at 3pm yesterday and by 6:45pm I saw my first bubble comming out of the blow off tube. It wasn't though till around 6am this morning did I start to notice the rotton egg smell floating up my stairs. When I went down stairs I found my blow off tube pumping bubbles into the bucket of water faster than I had ever seen. I'm talking really violent bursting of huge bubbles causing water to spash out of the 3/4 filled 5 gal bucket. It is by far one of the most spectacular ferments I have ever witnessed on a homebrew level. That being said it is in a stainless container so I can only imagine what is going on inside!!!! I keep the house at 68 degrees so the temp is not overkill for this thing but there is no sign yet of that sulfer smell disappearing. In fact it is stronger than ever, Im thinking about moving it down to my basement - although the temp down there is probably in the 50's. Any thoughts or suggestions? Oh yeah by the way i dumped everything in except 5lbs of honey - OG was 1.120 I will wait a week and dump in the remaining 5 lbs of honey - I would guess that would bump it up several points

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 4667
Posted From: 24.57.229.8
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Myself, I would add the honey in thirds about once a week for a total of three additions.

(Message edited by BillPierce on February 13, 2006)

ELK
Username: Elkski

Post Number: 1456
Posted From: 67.177.25.240
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 01:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"walk softly lest you wake the beast"" I warned ya..
I like the smell for the first 48 hrs then a few bad days and then ok...

Let that bad boy sleep and then feed some honey and repeat