Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2006 * Archive through February 27, 2006 * Fruity apricot-flavored hop in NW IPAs < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Mike Henry
Username: Torpedo

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 208.207.43.2
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know what type of hop is being used to create a fruity apricot flavor in NW IPAs? The Paranoid IPA brewed by Off the Rail Brewery in Forest Grove, OR is the one I have in mind. They say they use Fuggle hops and White Labs California Ale yeast. I've bittered with Fuggle and flavored with Cascade hops, and it didn't have that "apricot" flavor. Any ideas?

Randy McCord
Advanced Member
Username: Mccord

Post Number: 582
Posted From: 216.174.177.138
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 11:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not familiar with the beer you mention, but I will say that my wife and a few others think some of my ales have an apricot flavor to them. The beers they refer to all have Amarillo hops in them.

I don't really notice the "apricot" myself, but I don't remember the last time I had anything that was apricot flavored, so maybe I've forgotten what apricots taste like.

Rob Beck
Username: Robbeck

Post Number: 235
Posted From: 64.218.107.221
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll second Randy, it's probably Amarillos. They have a very fruity, citrusy effect when used late in the boil or in the whirlpool and the presence of lots of hops seems to amplify the apricot nature of them.

Mike Henry
Username: Torpedo

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 208.207.43.2
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 12:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Randy and Rob - I've used Amarillo before, but not along with Fuggle. That's a good suggestion - and maybe the answer to my question. If I don't get any other ideas I'll try that. Thanks. Torpedo Mike