Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2006 * Archive through April 06, 2006 * Stout faucet/ sparkler tap - who likes em, who hates em? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Marty Michael
Username: Carwash

Post Number: 62
Posted From: 156.152.45.91
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI guys,
Who likes to use a "stout tap" or "sparkler" on their stouts and who hates that idea. I know many think that sparklers strip the flavor off the beer but others love the creamy head and say it does not affect flavor otherwise.

PS - I have been dispensing my dry stout by carbonting to around 1.8 and then just cracking the faucet to foam out some of the carbonation and put a head on the beer.

Aaron MacDonald
Username: Inveigler

Post Number: 110
Posted From: 167.242.48.42
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll weigh in with a hate'm vote. I despise the flat texture and dry mouthfeel of these beers.

Hophead
Username: Hophead

Post Number: 2150
Posted From: 167.4.1.38
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Like 'em.

Aaron, try carbonating the stout/porter lightly and then pushing with the n2/co2 mix. Makes a huge difference IMHO...

It does not 'strip' the flavor of the beer?!?

Drew Pattison
Username: Droopy

Post Number: 115
Posted From: 143.115.159.53
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like em.

I do think it can affect the flavor - although I'm not sure anything is "stripped".

I brew 10 gal batches and will often put one 5 gal keg on a stout faucet with nitro mix and the other on a regular faucet for comparison sake. There is a difference but I think it is the mouthfeel playing with flavor perceptions more than anything.

I guess I like it both ways

PaulK
Intermediate Member
Username: Paulk

Post Number: 298
Posted From: 68.84.198.40
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just an FYI, stout taps and sparklers are different devices. Sparklers are those things threaded to the end of some handpumps to agitate the beer and create more head. Either way, I hate both nitrogen dispensed stout taps and sparklers on hand pump. Both do damage to aroma IMO.

(Message edited by paulk on March 24, 2006)

Aaron MacDonald
Username: Inveigler

Post Number: 111
Posted From: 167.242.48.41
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 08:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hophead

I'll give that a shot sometime. I just have never enjoyed these beers commercially or at friend's homebrew set-ups. Offer me Guiness with the widget, and without the widget, I'll go widget free every time.

A local beer bar had Old Speckled Hen on the nitro and co2 at the same time. I definitely enjoyed the CO2 better. A nitro beer just tastes dead to me. Something about the co2 brings a beer alive. Your method sounds like it may be a good compromise between the two.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 4915
Posted From: 24.57.229.8
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like dry stout dispensed with a stout faucet and on beer gas. To me it's all part of the presentation and experience of Guinness Draught, which already has plenty of aroma and flavor, and the nitro pour actually enhances the low body. But other beers served this way bore me and seem gimmicky.

(Message edited by BillPierce on March 25, 2006)

Ned Buntline
Username: Ned_buntline

Post Number: 109
Posted From: 141.150.202.90
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill Pierce wrote:

"But other beers served this way bore me and seem gimmicky."

Whoa, Bill. Perhaps you haven't tried a great Porter on a stout faucet? I'm to the point where I won't have it any other way (unless I can get it as a cask-conditioned real ale).

Bob Girolamo
Username: Brewerbob

Post Number: 202
Posted From: 192.91.171.36
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 02:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I love'em. Presently have a DIS on with beer gas and the requisite Guiness Tap. I also have a faucet for Youngs Double Chocolate Stout. Hmmm better get to brewing some DCS
Ask not what your country can brew for you but, what you can brew for your country!

http://www.geocities.com/bob_girolamo

Marlon Lang
Advanced Member
Username: Marlonlang

Post Number: 570
Posted From: 68.155.82.205
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 04:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Funny this should come up. I just came home from my "local" (The Chimes) where I had several "Bodi's", dispensed just like Guinness (nitro). Sure, nitro is a cheap way to build a head, but Guinness and Boddingtons would not be the same any other way. As to the sparkler, it is a matter of taste, but I like cask ale dispensed through a sparkler. YMMV.

Beerboy AKA The Jolly Brewer
Username: Matfink

Post Number: 1050
Posted From: 86.128.123.129
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"but Guinness and Boddingtons would not be the same any other way"

Right, now you've got me! Boddingtons used to be a really good cask conditioned ale. Now it is nitrocrap. No bones about it, it is mass produced, additive laden rubbish. Nitro is just a way to make a totally awful product appeal to the masses. It has been the demise of a good quality traditional ale which has spiraled down into the tasteless orange water that it is now.

As for Guinness ,that seems to be going the same way, it has lost all its roasty bitterness and just seems like a black, sweetish extra cold nebulous beer. Hardly worthy of the history it has behind it. It used to be my 'standby beer' that I could count on if there was not anything decent on offer in a bar, but now I'd have to think twice about ordering one.

As far as the original question, I think it is ok to serve a stout through a sparkler/stout faucet as they generally have enough body and flavour to carry off, and it does look nice. I think what a sparkler ruins is the hop flavours of a beer, it forces all the hop aromatics into the head and out of the actual beer. That is why bitters and other hoppier forms of beer don't benefit from being forced through tiny holes.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 4959
Posted From: 24.57.239.69
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree almost completely with Beerboy. Boddington's bores me to death. Sometime I'll try a porter served on nitro, but otherwise I still think only dry stouts truly benefit from this method.

Richard Nye
Username: Yeasty_boy

Post Number: 1334
Posted From: 68.109.85.19
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just love watching the beer as the bubbles make their way to the top. It looks like waterfalls of beer cascading down. Very cool to watch! I agree that nitro enhances some styles, while detracting from others.