Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2006 * Archive through May 22, 2006 * Hop bush < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Hallertauer
Intermediate Member
Username: Hallertauer

Post Number: 378
Posted From: 192.85.16.1
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I planted 2 varieties of hops (hersbrucker and magnum) and they are about a foot high now and seem to be doing well. The only thing that concerns me is that they both are starting to look like bushs instead of vines.

Should I be pruning back everything except one vine? Or should I prune back everything and leave 2 or 3? Or should I not prune at all?

TIA

Paul Erbe
Advanced Member
Username: Perbe

Post Number: 565
Posted From: 12.27.22.67
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Normally people leave 2 or 3. Dont expect a big harvest this year. Let the plants have a nice stressfree summer while their roots grow.

The 2 second year plants I have are already 6 plus feet. Last year they maybe grew 3-4 feet all season.

Vince Turley
Intermediate Member
Username: Vince

Post Number: 269
Posted From: 66.245.90.251
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The first year you are really growing a strong root system. Be sure to use a couple of inches of bark mulch to hold water and protect the roots through next winter. If you fertilize, use a equal-ratio (3-3-3 for example), or high middle number to promote root growth. Stay away from high nitrogen fertilizers (large first number in the ratio), as this will only promote top growth; while it looks nice, it takes away from the roots (and any hops, too!). Foliar feed (i.e. spray) with liquid seaweed as often as once a week, and you will really stay ahead of the bugs as well.

Cory Kelm
Username: Galaxy51

Post Number: 21
Posted From: 72.24.239.45
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Like Paul says, 2-3 vines are most often recomended. If you worry about a possible spider mite or other bug related problems you could remove the leaves on the lower part of the vines. This is supposed to make a difference and I think some of the commercial growers do this. Also hops love a really fertile soil. Mine went in new last year and now most of them are well over 10 foot tall! I dug a fair sized hole for each and mixed in a lot of home made compost with the native soil. Watching these grow is reminds me of the "Jack and the Beanstalk". I admit to having babied them. Considering that it was their first year, at harvest time I took predominately the cones, leaving as much of the leaves and vines as I could. This was a lot of extra work but extended by two months the ability of the plants to keep feeding and growing their root systems. This year I will whack the vines off at ground level.

Chad D.
Intermediate Member
Username: Icehouse

Post Number: 433
Posted From: 162.58.35.101
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 08:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mine just hit the top of their ropes!

That's 14 feet...

All second and third year plants.

Only problem I ever have is with mites, and not really sure of a good way to keep em away. I guess I may try the liquid seaweed and see if that helps.