Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2006 * Archive through October 11, 2006 * Company #1 Red Ale w/Rye. Anyone? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Scott Morales
Username: Smutty

Post Number: 126
Posted From: 208.252.62.130
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have all of the ingredients for PM's Company1 Red save Wheat, however I have plenty of Rye. I was thinking of substituting the Wheat with the Rye and boosting the Carapils & Crystals a bit to compensate for head retention. You guys have any take on this? Good idea gone bad or quite possibly a tasty treat?

TIA
Scott

Richard Nye
Username: Yeasty_boy

Post Number: 1615
Posted From: 68.4.202.69
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd just substitute the wheat with rye and leave the carpils and crystals alone. Or maybe sub half rye and half base malt for the wheat. Rye will help in head retention too, but more carapils and crystals may make it less fermentable. It will have a pretty high FG as it is.

Denny Conn
Username: Denny

Post Number: 5880
Posted From: 140.211.82.4
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How much wheat does the recipe call for? If it's much, using that much rye will alter the taste of the beer.
LIfe begins at 60...1.060, that is.

Tex Brewer
Username: Texbrewer

Post Number: 104
Posted From: 216.62.203.81
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with both Richard and Denny. Rye has a lot of protein and should give good head retention. You may want to add some rice hulls to the mash to avoid sticking, though. If you're in the 5% range, flavor should not be affected, but 10-20% will probably be noticeable.

All of that said, I made a wonderful "heferyezen" with 20% rye (no wheat) and Wyeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat. It had a really cool color, almost bluish. And a great, spicy flavor and aroma, a likely combination of the yeast and rye. Several people told me it's the best beer I've ever made. Hmmm, maybe it's time to make it again...

Richard Nye
Username: Yeasty_boy

Post Number: 1618
Posted From: 68.4.202.69
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The recipe calls for just less than 5% wheat. I'd sub half rye and half barley. You'll never know the difference.

Tex - is that Paul H.'s beer from the Roggen thread? I may have to put that in my lineup.

Tex Brewer
Username: Texbrewer

Post Number: 107
Posted From: 216.62.203.81
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 09:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Indeed, it's Paul H's beer. See my post to that thread.