Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2006 * Archive through December 05, 2006 * The Pride of CrankandStein < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

dhacker
Advanced Member
Username: Dhacker

Post Number: 588
Posted From: 208.63.189.104
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a few pics of the ALMOST done mill stand. If Bob Wall has 7th grade wood working skills, then mine must be 6th. I'm sure if I were equiped like Norm Abrams I could have made it prettier, but I doubt any more functional!

Note the Superstrut for convenient belt tensioning

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 2531
Posted From: 208.49.148.10
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice. I like the tensioning idea and the yard spreader hopper.

So who won the race? You or Bob?

Skotrat
Username: Skotrat

Post Number: 2440
Posted From: 24.128.118.170
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WHAT???

no propellers!
"Payday came and with it beer"
- Rudyard Kipling

dhacker
Advanced Member

Post Number: 589
Posted From: 66.21.205.94
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So who won the race? You or Bob?

Technically, It's not finished so Bob still has a window of opportunity!

I have to mount the motor run capacitor and the on off switch before she's complete.

. . Oh, and a propeller in the hopper!

Bob Wall
Advanced Member
Username: Brewdudebob

Post Number: 509
Posted From: 24.99.80.253
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 05:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I cut all my wood on my friend Eric's table-saw last weekend. The only thing I need to do is final assembly and measure for the proper length belt.

If anyone is curious what the formula is, here it is:

L = Pitch length of belt
C = Center distance between sheaves
D = Pitch diameter of large sheave
d = Pitch diameter of small sheave

L = 2C + 1.57(D + d) * (D - d)2 / 4C

Grainger has belts available in one inch increments. You can also view the formula at grainger.com. It is on page 243 of their catalog PDF.

Perhaps I should call in sick today and knock it out?
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Bob Wall
Advanced Member

Post Number: 510
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

dhacker,

Does your motor spin counter-clockwise?
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Skotrat

Post Number: 2444
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 05:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob,

You really don't look good today. Here... Have a seat and drink this tea
- Rudyard Kipling

Bob Wall
Advanced Member

Post Number: 511
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it Fermented Barley Tea?

dhacker
Advanced Member

Post Number: 590
Posted From: 74.226.105.156
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does your motor spin counter-clockwise?

It'll do CW or CCW with a quick swapping o' the wires. I haven't finished the wiring, but based on the motor mounting, it should be set to CCW.

Bob Wall
Advanced Member

Post Number: 512
Posted From: 139.76.128.71
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 06:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"based on the motor mounting"

That's why I asked.

And I am at work now. No progress on my mill today.

Mike Huss
Username: Mikhu

Post Number: 1417
Posted From: 24.123.94.154
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob, would you like me to post pictures of the gear motor drive I added to my mill last Saturday? You know, just so you can see another one that's motorized when yours isn't?

Bob Wall
Advanced Member

Post Number: 514
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 07:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure, why not rub it in...

Mike Huss

Post Number: 1418
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 08:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll dig up some rock salt for that wound while I'm at it.

Seriously, I'm not bragging about anything I did. My setup is REALLY cheesy, but it works and that's all that matters at this time. Eventually I'd like to put it on a cart with wheels, but for now it's just mounted to a piece of 3/4" oak plywood I had lying around. I'll try to remember to take some pics tonight.

Bob Wall
Advanced Member

Post Number: 515
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I'll dig up some rock salt for that wound while I'm at it"

Go to the county garage off OO & 41 by the landfill. I am sure they have piles of it there.

Randy Hamm
Username: Hamm

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 12.218.128.67
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 04:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David, grrreat looking set-up, indeed the "pride of crankandstein"

This is more fun than humans are allowed to have!!

Happy Thanksgiving, Randy}

Bob Wall
Advanced Member

Post Number: 521
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 07:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, Made quite a bit of progress on my mill base today. I am making it out of 3/4" MDF and using 1 X 2 Select Pine for shelf bracing. The photos are all showing it in a "dry-fit" stage. MDF comes in 16" Shelves and in 2' X 4' sheets. Since the True Brew Fermenter buckets are about 15" tall and 15" wide, I figured I would make the grain catching area a 16" cube and work around that. Construction is simple. I measured everything out on a 2' X 4' sheet of MDF and cut the 1 X 2 Select Pine to length and screwed and glued the rails to the MDF. Of course, the MDF sides were also cut to size. Now that I have everything basically built, I ordered a 67" belt from McMaster Carr. My centers of the sheaves wound up being exactly 24" apart.

Here is the back of the stand:

Here is the back with the cover on:

Here is the front of the stand with the bucket inside:

Bob Wall
Advanced Member

Post Number: 522
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 07:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have one more pic of a top-view. but the site is not letting me upload now...

dhacker
Advanced Member

Post Number: 596
Posted From: 72.155.215.104
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I concede . .

I may have won the battle, but you won the war!

BEE U TEE FULL!

Bob Wall
Advanced Member

Post Number: 523
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, D.

Once I get the belt, I will do the final assembly and wire it. I am also going to re-work the top hopper mount. Currently, you see the small plywood hopper mount that Crankandstein provides. I am going to re-make it out of MDF so I can add sides. Being as I top-mounted the mill, I am going to need to keep grain from spilling out the sides. I can just use cardboard and duct-tape for now, but that'd be ugly.

The reason I can't just attach sides to the current mount is that they routed the plywood with a roundover bit and I won't get a flush fit. The only challenge will be getting a nice hole for the hopper bored out. There is a slight taper and I will have to use a round file and some elbow grease to get a good fit. Or, I could wrap the hopper base with 80 grit and shape it that way.

I almost forgot to mention I will be mounting it on wheels too.

Mike Huss

Post Number: 1419
Posted From: 69.21.247.113
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 11:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DAYUMMMM Bob! That's purty!! You guys and your pretty mill mounts and drives....

How's this for ghetto?

Skotrat

Post Number: 2460
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 11:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike,

That is pretty much how I will do it...
- Rudyard Kipling

Richard Nye
Username: Yeasty_boy

Post Number: 1800
Posted From: 68.4.202.69
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I only pretend that I've motorized my mill so what do I know....BUT, I think I'd prefer to have the direct drive with gearmotor rather than the sheaves. One less thing for my willie to get caught in. Also, I think the Barley Crusher recommends you don't use a sheave (probably to prevent excessive side loads on the bearings).

Bob Wall
Advanced Member

Post Number: 524
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 12:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a top view:

Ken Anderson
Username: Ken75

Post Number: 1816
Posted From: 69.168.130.193
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 01:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike, mine also looks like yours. Easy enough to swap out pails underneath it, or even to straddle a cooler tun like I do.
As soon as I find a handle, I'm gonna mount it to the side so I can carry it like a brief case. I'll also add a hole at the end (or eyelet or something) so it will hang on the wall and be out of the way. Super portable the way you did it.

(Message edited by Ken75 on November 26, 2006)

dhacker
Advanced Member

Post Number: 597
Posted From: 72.155.211.254
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 01:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay . . Yuv gone too far using a brass switch plate!

Nobody's mill should be pimped to that degree . . .

Richard . . I was a little concerned about the side loads as well. I went with the 1/2" shaft option which hopefully will compensate. I used the mill for the first time today . . Man will that thing chew some grain!

Oh, and as a footnote to the new "Apollo 18 Orville and Wilbur" mash tun maiden voyage . . I am beside myself with joy at how well it worked today! I pushed it to the limit with a 30 pound grain bill and it preformed flawlessly I upped my efficiency by at least 10 points to 86, . .Didn't think it was possible. As far as draining . . might as well have been pure H2O. Just for yuks I opened both ball valves wide open and the wort just rushed out. That manifold is the bomb!

Never opened the lid on the mash tun one time during the whole process. I've made closable ports in the top for the grain to be dumped in and as a result nailed my dough in temp and it stayed there for an hour.

Not meaning to brag, just very, very proud!

Tom Meier
Intermediate Member
Username: Brewdawg96

Post Number: 428
Posted From: 70.146.141.171
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 01:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

quote:

I think the Barley Crusher recommends you don't use a sheave (probably to prevent excessive side loads on the bearings).

yeah, I was wondering how long those brass bushings will last with the tension of the pulley on it... it creates a large radial load that could add to wearing of the bushing.

thats the reason I bought the valley mill, because of the ball bearings instead of bushings, but all the mills have bushings now.

Bob Wall
Advanced Member

Post Number: 525
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 03:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Okay . . Yuv gone too far using a brass switch plate!"

It's actually stainless. I have a $h1tty camera.

dhacker
Advanced Member

Post Number: 598
Posted From: 72.155.201.70
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike,

Ain't nuthin' wrong with your setup! Sometimes I wish I could drive myself to the KISS mentality!

dhacker
Advanced Member

Post Number: 599
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yeah, I was wondering how long those brass bushings will last with the tension of the pulley on it... it creates a large radial load that could add to wearing of the bushing.

Now you guys have me thinking . . I looked on the end of the CnS and there is just enough shaft on the outside of the sheave to attach a 1/2" ball bearing pillow block salvaged from my ball mill. I think I'll mount it to another piece of Superstrut, align it and add it to relieve the excess load on the bronze bushing.

Richard Nye

Post Number: 1802
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

dhacker, I think the 1/2" shaft would be enough to prevent a lot of wear. Just keep a little oil on the bushing and you'll be OK. The BC has a 3/8" shaft.

dhacker
Advanced Member

Post Number: 600
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Richard.

I've wondered about the value of putting a drop or two of oil on those bronze bushings. I thought they were supposed to be impregnated with a "permanent” lubricator. Seems like adding external oil would be like ringing the dinner bell for grit and dust to attack the bushing.

Bob Wall
Advanced Member

Post Number: 526
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you do put a drop or two of oil on your roller bushings, be sure NOT to use 3 & 1 oil. It will act as a solvent over time. Use 30 Weight.

Mike Huss

Post Number: 1420
Posted From: 69.21.247.113
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah Ken, I built it the size I did because it just fits on the bottom shelf of my "brewstand" and yet is big enough to be a stable base. I started with a 2x8 but that was just a little too narrow for my liking. Once I finally build my real stand it will fit on there easily as well, as it will be a little bit bigger than my current shelving unit that I use as a stand.

dhacker, I see CnS's are made with oil impregnated bushings like the BC's. I don't really see any reason to oil those bushings. The pillow block wouldn't be a bad idea to support the radial load, BUT you have to make sure it is aligned very well because three bearings on a shaft can be a very bad thing if they aren't aligned well.

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 2539
Posted From: 208.49.148.10
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Bob, nice stand you've built there. Maybe you should work out a deal with Don and Fred to sell those with the CnS?

Don't know how much you know about MDF though. DO NOT let it GET WET or it dissintergrates. Especially on the cut surfaces. Some companies use it for exterior doors but it seems like a stupid application of it to me. It sure does cut smooth and straight and no warping like with real wood. But I'd keep it far away from the sink or any water source.

Bob Wall
Advanced Member

Post Number: 531
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 07:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the advice Vance.

BTW, I just got my drive-belt from UPS today. Of course, I saw it on my front porch as I was leaving for work. It seems to fit, but may be a little snug. Nothing a couple flat washers under the motor mount can't fix though. That formula in the Grainger catalog really nailed the measurments!

Bob Wall
Advanced Member

Post Number: 552
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 07:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok. I can call my mill stand 98% complete.

The only thing I have to do is re-work the hopper mount with MDF instead of plywood, and add sides to it. Only trouble with this is I have to rely on a buddy with a table saw so I can get a precise cut. Here is the top view complete with the power cord coming out the back:

Here is a low-angle view showing the additional pine-wood added to support the wheels. It also shows the on/off switch and the motor. I had to boost the motor with two washers under each bolt as the belt was a little too tight:

And here is another low-angle shot with the bucket and my brew-rig in the background:

I have to admit once I finished and cleaned up, I spent the next hour or two enjoying a couple Gordon's and admiring my work. I got a-lot of enjoyment out of turning the switch on and off. I even poured some Wheaties into it to see how it would work. Amazing! The whole thing is surprisingly quiet in it's operation.

Another thought just occurred to me. I now have a need for a digital scale. I also need to get some storage bins and I need to order bulk grains.

Pardon me for stealing this phrase, but...I love this hobby!

dhacker
Advanced Member

Post Number: 623
Posted From: 72.155.215.238
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I now have a need for a digital scale. I also need to get some storage bins and I need to order bulk grains.

There's just never any end to it, is there?!

I'll testify . . a digital scale is another "Must Have" tool for brewing. I have the 'My Weigh' 3001. Can't imagine brewing without it.

Richard Nye

Post Number: 1850
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow Bob, that is nicely done! It's got me thinking I should buy a CnS and do the same thing as you, then sell my Barley Crusher when it's complete. I just don't know where I'd store the thing. I'm tight on space.

Bob Wall
Advanced Member

Post Number: 553
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I'm tight on space."

Me too Richard. I really have no more room for the mill stand as it is. I am going to have to get creative. I have no idea where I am going to store my grains, but I'll figure something out.

Skotrat

Post Number: 2531
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 03:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Man...

These look great. I just know though that mine will look pretty ghetto when I am done putting it together...
Beverly Beverly Beverly...
Bark Like a Dog Dear Beverly

Mike Huss

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ghetto is how the cool guys do it Scott!