Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2006 * Archive through December 05, 2006 * Adding maple to secondary < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Tom
Username: Benchbrew

Post Number: 124
Posted From: 71.103.219.62
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 08:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

have a maple porter that Im gonna rack in secondary and add some more maple. Should I just add the maple strait? or add to boiled water to sanitize?

Skotrat
Username: Skotrat

Post Number: 2457
Posted From: 24.128.118.170
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,

Fresh Maple syrup should be at least pasteurized in my opinion. It is not like honey in the sense that nothing bad lives in honey...

Everything that does not live in honey definitely has a comfy home in Maple Syrup. So pasteurize the maple and add it to your secondary.

Maple Porter is Good Good Stuff!

-Scott
"Payday came and with it beer"
- Rudyard Kipling

Tim C.
Username: Timc

Post Number: 106
Posted From: 24.192.6.164
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom

Maple syrup is boiled along time prior to bottling or canning. If it is a fresh un-opened bottle, I would simply add straigh to the beer. WhenI used to make syrup, it went straigh from a final boiling to the bottle or can without any additives. Unopened and sealed bottles will last for a long long time without spoiling. If you did not purchase from a local sugar bush, read the label for any added preservatives. I am not aware if any of the larger productions contain any additives.

Steve Jones
Username: Stevej

Post Number: 244
Posted From: 24.159.40.129
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have added maple syrup directly from the bottle to secondary twice using alcohol on the mouth of the bottle first, and both times I ended up with vinegar. Pasteurize it first.

I just made a maple pecan porter a month or so ago, and when I added the maple syrup and pecans to the secondary I toasted the finely crushed pecans, then poured into a pyrex cup with the maple syrup, then nuked it till it was about 180F. I let it set for about 10 minutes before adding to secondary.

Those that tell you not to boil maple syrup because you will lose the aromatics are nuts. Just think about how maple syrup is made ... take 40 gallons of maple sap and boil the bejeebies out of it till there's a gallon left. Any aromatics left are immune to vaporization.

Hey Scott - I can't believe how damn drinkable the ABC is after 5 weeks! I can't believe it took me this long to get around to making it.

Tom
Username: Benchbrew

Post Number: 125
Posted From: 71.103.219.62
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 07:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve, Maple pecan porter? That sounds yummy! Interested in how he pecan flavor turns out. can you share the receipe on that.

Steve Jones
Username: Stevej

Post Number: 248
Posted From: 24.159.40.129
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,
It is in the keg but not yet carbonated. I'll do so within a week or so. The pecan and maple flavors are very subtle, but are there.

Back in August our club and the only local micro held a competition - not a styles comp, but a 'marketability' comp. We restricted entries to a 100 mile radius as the winning entry would be brewed at the micro by the winner, and marketed as a seasonal specialty by the micro.

The co-winners were a Wit and the Maple Pecan porter. The head brewer at the micro decided to brew the porter this fall and the wit next spring.

Several club members wanted to brew it, so we came up with the idea of a blind comparison at our January meeting. 11 of us ended up brewing it, and none of us have tasted anyone elses - that will be the blind tasting in Jan, where the general membership will vote for their favorite. Everyone was free to tweak the recipe to their liking.

Here is the original winning recipe:

Maple-Pecan Porter
5 gallons
OG 1.048 (+ syrup)
FG 1.012
ABV 4.7% (+ syrup, ~5.8%)

Grain Bill:
8 lb Briess 2-Row Base Malt (for extract recipe, use 5 lb Light DME instead)
1 lb Briess Black Patent Malt
.50 lb Briess 90L
.25 lb Briess Bonlander (2-row munich)
1 oz English Fuggle hops (AA 4.3%) for 90 minutes
1 oz English Fuggle (AA 4.3%) for 40 minutes
2 tsp Gypsum in Mash Water (not necessary for extract)
1 tsp Gypsum in Sparge Water (add to boil for extract)
9 oz Pecans
1.5 lb Pure Dark Amber Maple Syrup

for All Grain:
Mash grains at 150 degrees for 90 minutes at 1.2 qts/lb
Sparge for 40 minutes with 168 degree water, collecting 7 gal. in kettle
for Extract
Steep crushed grains in 150F water for 30 minutes, remove and drain.
Stir DME into this extract water and bring to a boil.
NOTE: If you do a concentrated boil, increase each hop addition by 1/3 oz and add water during the boil to maintain volume

Boil for 90 minutes adding hops at 90,40 minutes.
Add 6 oz crushed pecans last 30 minutes.
Add 1 tsp Irish moss last 15 minutes.
Add 1 tsp Yeast nutrient last 15 minutes.
Whirlpool
Chill wort to 72 degrees and rack to carboy.
Oxygenate
O.G. 1.048

Pitch one vial (35 ml) of White Labs California Ale yeast.
Ferment for 7 days @ 72 degrees
F.G. - 1.012
ABV 4.7%

Transfer to secondary fermenter and add maple syrup and 3 oz. pecans.
A Secondary fermentation starts. Ferment another 7 days.
F.G. 1.013
New ABV 5.8%

Keg & carbonate, or prime with 3/4 cup corn sugar. Condition for 2-3 weeks

--------------------------
As for my variations - if you want them I'll follow up with another post, but I'd suggest waiting until the blind tasting in January when I'll receive the recipe of the one voted best.

(Message edited by stevej on November 26, 2006)