Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Homebrewery Photo Gallery * KB 's ....Brewery < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

KB (24.186.153.19)
Posted on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 02:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

38.jpg
Mash kettle and Boiler. With this pump there is no need for a grant.

KB (24.186.153.19)
Posted on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 02:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

10jpg
pump set up

kb7 (24.186.153.19)
Posted on Saturday, May 04, 2002 - 03:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1,beertogo

View of garage brewery

kb7 (24.186.153.19)
Posted on Saturday, May 04, 2002 - 03:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1,f-alask2

View of ferment

KB (24.186.153.19)
Posted on Saturday, May 04, 2002 - 03:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

View of mash

KB (24.186.153.19)
Posted on Saturday, May 04, 2002 - 03:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

26.jpg
Collecting sparge run off

KB (24.186.153.19)
Posted on Saturday, May 04, 2002 - 04:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

222.jpg
Fermenting

Codewarrior (150.169.165.87)
Posted on Monday, May 06, 2002 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice setup.

How do you get the carboys in and out of the chest freezer?

What is the ball valve at the top of the mash tun for?

Could you also explain the inputs and outputs of your pump?

Code

KB (24.186.153.19)
Posted on Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 03:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Q:How do you get the carboys in and out of the chest freezer?
A: Very carefully. I just pull em out

Q: What is the ball valve at the top of the mash tun for?

A: It is the return to mash kettle from herms in the HLT. With it I can control the return
flow rate. But, it is usually at full port. if you look at the MASH photo you will see the other side of the return. The extract flowes in with a gentile whirlpool.

Q: Could you also explain the inputs and outputs of your pump?

A: The pump is a "March" model 809. My mash kettle is equipped with a false bottom. At full port I gravity down to the input of the
pump.(bottom)
It is then pumped up to HERMS or over to the boiler.
The valve at the boiler controls the
flow rate to the boiler.
It is used during SPARGE.
The other valve at the boiler is the drain for after knock out.

Kurt Schweter (12.3.208.130)
Posted on Friday, July 26, 2002 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

any clogging problems with running
( what looks like ) 3/8ths tubing ?

murphdog (151.24.160.178)
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 07:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you had any problems pumping for your lauter, Any set filtrations or overcompactions?
Do you just watch the outflow to know when to stop the vorlauf,
I'm thinking of adding somthing like this to my brewery, Would you suggest using gravity into a grant and a pump from the grant this way you don't suck out the wort.
I've seen nice expensive breweries with a closed grant where you look into it , the grant fills with a light behind it, when is full a small pump returns it to the lauter, Thats a little too much but would be nice.

Brew-man (24.186.156.4)
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kert no problem with clogging how ever. the pump I use (although quiet) gloggs with high gravity extracts 1.080 - 1.110. The sugar sticks the impeller. So, I use a stonger pump for high gravity beer. (loud)

Brew-man (24.186.156.4)
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Merph dog
I use gravity for lautering. But, I am going to make a 1 tier rig soon.
I stop varloff when extract becomes clear. 5-10 minutes.
The MARCH 809 is a gentle pump . Good for regular gravity beer 1.030-1.070 No need for a grant with this pump. Because I do not use a grant I cant really say. Try with out first and see. I think brewrats have info on those grants. to answer the question No i don't use a grant. And I have no problem with stuck recirculation.

Posted on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I went with hose I got for free - Pepsi -
gets a little soft at boiling temps but works well
reinforced, thick and the id is somewhere between 3/8ths and 1/2

Brew-man (24.186.156.4)
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 01:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

not sure I follow you kurt. Are you talking about hose connections to a pump? boiling? I use gravity after boiling. the extract runs through a hopback and then a counterflow chiller to the fermenter all on gravity. I use reinforced tubing to the hopback unless it is not available. And regular tubing after the chiller. :)

Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was refering to the ? about what size hose you
were using- 3/8ths or 1/2 for the fittings and hoses - most people use 1/2 and it appeared to me thart you use 3/8 - the pepsi stuff works good

Brew-man (24.186.156.4)
Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kurt
Ohh.....I use 1/2 inch on all but the return to mash tun from the HERMS. My old computer crashed and I am currently unable to up load a photo of the return.
The 3/8ths on the return adds a little more push... back into the mash kettle. It is ok to run a bigger tube into a smaller one , But not the other way around.
The 1/2 inch From MASH (to pump) feeds into T type mixing valve.
From there it can go full port into HERMS. ......OR...Full port into a bypass tube (copper) ..or... I can mix both HERMS/bypass.

The out port is where the extract from HERMS and Bypass meet. At this point there is a thermometer for extract readings From there it flows through a 3/8 tube back to the mash.

I will do what I can to get a photo up.

KeepBrewing (24.186.156.4)
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 03:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I must have been drunk when I wrote that responce?

KeepBrewing
Username: Kb7

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HERMS

KeepBrewing

Post Number: 172
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bypass loop with mixing valve

KeepBrewing

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Inside HLT

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: