Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Homebrewery Photo Gallery * 3 liter cabonator/dispenser < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

just_brewit (66.81.17.12)
Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dang it! I'll try again.

just_brewit (206.117.18.6)
Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah fudge!

Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phooey

Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used a cheap digital camera set on high resolution to take these pics for a gadget page for my web site. The pics came out so poor I wasn't going to bother putting the page together but seeing how a similar thread has been brought up on the HBD I thought that maybe posting them here would help someone.

The parts were used to create a 3-liter big mouth PET carbonator/dispenser bottle. It could also be used on a 2-liter PET with the standard cap.

The dispenser works great for taking to club meetings rather than filling up a bunch of bottles or having to take a keg.

Cost about $15 and requires simple drilling and cutting.

Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

parts.jpg

Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Parts list:

1-.219 OD standard wall micro (hypodermic) tubing - generally sold in 12" length
1-5/16 CMP X 1/8 MPT angle valve
1-1/8 threaded brass tee
1-metal Schrader valve (tire valve) - use the metal stem type not the rubber type
1-1/8 threaded brass nipple
1-3/8 ID X 1/2 OD rubber grommet
cap from PET bottle
short length of 5/16 SS tubing (cornie dip tube)

Also needed:

Standard QD tire/shop air filler valve. (I use QD to change back-and-forth from air valve to keg valve fittings).

Notes:

You can see the hole cut thru the smaller cap. The metal piece below the smaller cap is about a 1/2" long waste piece cut from the end of the valve stem. If a smaller than 3-liter PET is used the micro tubing needs to be cut. If the tubing is bent to about a 30 deg. angle about 3" from the end the bottle can be layed down to dispense.

Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 08:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1.jpg

Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cut off approx. 1/2" from the base end of the valve stem. To be safe remove the valve core prior to cutting. Drill out the threads of the perpendicular leg of the tee with a 25/64" drill. Solder the valve in the hole.

Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

2.jpg

Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Assymble the pieces. The short length of 5/16 tubing goes in the compression fitting of the angle valve. Its best to make this length about an inch longer than half the diameter of the bottle.

The micro tubing is a press fit into the smaller opening on the angle valve.

Slide the tee with soldered valve onto the micro tubing. Take a 2-3 inch length of teflon plumbing tape and cut in half length-wise and wrap threads of valve and screw tee onto angle valve.

Slide nipple onto micro tubing, wrap threads on one end with other piece of teflon, and screw into tee.

Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

3.jpg

Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cut a 1/2" hole in PET cap (I poked a hole thru using as awl and enlarged it with a rat tail file. A Forstner bit also works). Insert grommet into hole. Slide cap onto micro tubing and over other end of nipple. Secure cap with washer and nut from Schrader valve.

Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

4.jpg

Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fill bottle approx. half full with non-carbonated beer. Screw on cap. Set regulator on CO2 bottle to approx. 30psi and fill bottle via Schrader valve with CO2. Gently back off cap to release air from bottle. Retighten cap and fill again with CO2. Evacuate and refill a couple more times. Secure cap and shake well. Refill with CO2 again and place in freezer for approx. 1-1/2 - 2 hours.

Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

5.jpg

Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Remove bottle from freezer and place on shelf in fridge.

Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

disp.jpg

Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RDWHAHB and dispense carbonated beer.

Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

glass.jpg

Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 09:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't get too overly concerned about the beer getting oxidized, it doesn't last that long anyway but I do try to remove as much air as possible for carbonation and if the bottle is going to be transported where it might get shaken about. I rigged up this little filler to help reduce oxidation.

Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 09:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

botfill.jpg

just_brewit (66.81.28.230)
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 11:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you run out of pressure you can give it another blast of CO2 at about 15psi. If you run out of pressure and don't have CO2 you can always use a tire pump. And then of course you could always pour right from the bottle.

One small note of caution. If you bent the micro tubing and it scrapes around the inside of the bottle, straighten it out a bit because you don't want the end of the tubing to keep scoring a line around each time it gets put on and taken off as it will probably weaken the bottle and cause it to separate while under pressure.

Well, it looks like I got that gadget web page now. Have a good brew, Justin

Wayne D. Page (192.222.69.2)
Posted on Friday, May 31, 2002 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

2(well, maybe three) questions:

Where did you get the micro tubing? McMaster-Carr?

Why only half full?

Looks nice

Wayne

just_brewit (66.81.22.21)
Posted on Saturday, June 01, 2002 - 06:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, its from McMaster C. In my catalog its listed in the index under "thin wall" tubing.

I can get a greater volumn of CO2 when its half full and it carbonates easy that way. I only shake it for about 30 seconds. I suppose you might fill it a bit more.

Fairly simple to build, I've made several and pass them out to friends and any one who has helped out with welding and machining etc.

just_brewit (66.81.31.166)
Posted on Saturday, June 01, 2002 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another reason for only filling approx. half full is to leave a space for CO2 to dispense with. I've found if I fill much more than half way I'll run out of pressure and the remaining beer won't flow.

just_brewit (66.81.22.178)
Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To make it easier to obtain parts small diameter vinyl tubing might be substituted for the SS micro tubing.

As seen in the pic below a mini CO2 dispenser can be attached to the air valve to maintain pressure. Make sure you use a CO2 dispenser made for brewing as others may leak after the cartridge has been punctured.

a

just_brewit (66.81.22.178)
Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a

Adonis Neal (24.79.79.246)
Posted on Friday, September 06, 2002 - 01:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A couple more questions for you

>Is this bottle glass or plastic.
>Is it 3 litres
>do you have any problems with putting 30 lbs of pressure on it
> would I be able to put the bottle into a vacum to remove the air befor i co2, or will it colapse

Looks great, I want one I want one

Bill Pierce (12.249.111.122)
Posted on Monday, September 09, 2002 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adonis, these are plastic 3 liter soda bottles. I would say that 30 psi is at the upper end of the safe range for them. They would collapse in a vacuum (glass could be more dangerous), but this is not necessary. You can flush them with CO2 before filling, which will displace the air.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: