Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Homebrewery Photo Gallery * Auto Purge Fermenter < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Bob Southwick (209.193.41.172)
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have created a system that allows me to use the CO2 created during the primary ferment to purge the oxygen from the secondary fermenter.

autopurge.jpg

If I didn't add the image files correctly then you can see the set up at
http://www.walknbob.com/beer/autopurge.htm

WalknBob Southwick

Richard Shaffer (208.44.74.226)
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Bob,

That is very clever. I think your idea is a great idea. Very simple and straight forward. I think I might try maybe installing a racking cane into the purged carboy, that way the co2 enters from the bottom forcing the lighter air out the top. Success is 90% fermentation, 10% insperation. Good job. Richard.

Bob Southwick (24.237.152.164)
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 10:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard

Thanks for the kudo... appreciated. I do have canes in each of the fermenters, though they may not be clearly visible in the pictures.

I was concerned that maybe the CO2 might not completely purge the voids, as you suggest. However I found that the fermenters are both completely purged after about the second day.

I ran a little test. I got some of the wicking material used for an oil lamp. Attached it to the end of a length of baleing wire (which I had sterilized with flame) soaked the wick in rubbing alcohol and lit it.

The wick went out the instant it passed the lip of the carboy. Which indicates to me that there was CO2 all the way to the top since CO2 is heavier (as you said) if there was any oxygen in the carboy it would be at the top.

Cheers

WalknBob

jake (128.163.110.72)
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beer gives off more than CO2 while fermenting, which you can easily tell by the smell. I wouldn't want a lot of those compounds in my secondary.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: