Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Homebrewery Photo Gallery * New Addition to the Brewery < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Bill Tobler (65.66.211.246)
Posted on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 08:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

table
Above photo, regular table, and when you flip the top...

card
You get a card table. Remove the top...

pool
You get bumper pool. This table is all solid oak and Ash. The top is oak plywood. For $150 at Academy, it was a great deal.

Building and Brewing in Texas
Bill Tobler
My Brewery
BrewBayou Club

Bob McCouch (68.81.61.41)
Posted on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 01:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice, Bill! Here's a pic of the table my brilliant engineer buddy helped me build

pokertable

Posted on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should have mentioned: If anyone is ever planning to build a poker table, spend the extra money on nice fabric. I bought $2/yd crappy felt, and after we were finished this beautiful piece of work the fabric started pilling up almost immediately. And we made it so solid that it can't be disassembled to resurface...

What's that they say about hind-sight?

bierslayer (144.92.164.196)
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 12:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very cool Bob! Do you have construction "blueprints" for this table and if so, do you mind sharing them? What are the dimensions of this table?

Thanks,

Mark in Madison

Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark-
Sorry, one of the problems with having a brilliantly talented engineer with carpentry skills as a roommate is that he just kinda does these things off the top of his head. He doesn't really need plans to work from, so I told him what I wanted and we rushed over to Home Depot. A week later, we had the table.

The table measures about 50" across each set of sides (the playing surface made of 3/4" ply is 48" side-to-side, and the 5" pine rail adds the rest). Each playing spot is 24" wide before the bevel leading to the next station.

With a full table, things get a little bit cramped, but this is mostly due to the legs. The table has 3 legs made of 4"x4" cedar, designed so they can detach for storage (lucky for me as the townhouse my wife and I live in now is too small to leave it set up).

The surface is 2 layers of 1/4" cotton batting, stapled down, with the felt stretched over that and stapled around the edge. The pine rail is routed to provide a lip and overhangs onto the table surface to hide the upholstery work. The rail is biscuit joined to the table and to itself all the way around. You can stand on the rail.

Basically, I poked around on the net looking at pictures of commercial products like the beautiful table that Bill bought and came up with ideas. If I was doing it again, I'd make the whole thing a little larger, and build a pedestal stand like on Bill's, rather than the legs. I'd still leave it at 6 spots, as I just don't know enough people who play poker. Frankly, I don't know 6 anymore :-(

That's about as much info as I can provide. Oh, and if your router ever dies in the middle of a project and you go buy a new one, make sure you double check your jig before sticking the new tool in it. Our "quarter" slots ended up WAY too wide because the guide on the new router was different. Oops.

bierslayer (144.92.164.196)
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Bob! That's very useful info. I'll file that away for my next project.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: