Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Homebrewery Photo Gallery * Boil Kettle Stainless Steel Filter - Suggestions? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Jeff McClain (206.207.77.117)
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 03:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I just was wondering what everyone uses to connect their "Bazooka screens" to thier dip tube? I'm making some home made ones shown below, and I'm wondering if regular hose clamps are "sanitary" enough (are they Stainless Steel?) and can resist rusting? Originally, I was just going to hose clamp them, but then, I began thinking maybe it wasn't such a great idea putting hose clamps in my boil kettle?

Basically, this is the stainless steel braiding from the outside of a 1/2" high pressure washer hose with the inner propolyne tubing removed. I then trimmed the pokie (TM) wires a little, and twisted one end with some pliers and then heated it until it glowed red with MAPP gas (it does NOT solder sweat).

Anyway, would really appreciate your views.

1,my stainless steel filters

-Jeff

P.S. and I'm working on my web page that has "work in progress" pictures and my CAD drafts of my plans at Jeff's Home Brew System

Cheers!

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 03:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gads, why does everyone have so much trouble with this? And what does it mean when it says "image sources do not match"????

Trying again.

ss_filter1.jpg

-JM

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 03:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bugger it. Just go to Brew Kettle and look at the bottom picture. Keep getting message about security violation and message sources not matching trying to upload image.

-JM

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 04:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah-ha! Scratch pad actually TELLS me that there is a limit of 100KB for image sizes (why wouldn't it tell me that here?)

stainless steel filter

-JM

davidw (209.107.44.126)
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff,

Yes, there are cheap hose clamps out there, but there are also clamps that are entirely 304 SS, including the screw. Look for those. Being that they are in the kettle, sanitation is obviously not an issue due to the boil.

Michael (24.163.72.167)
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

>>>>I just was wondering what everyone uses to connect their "Bazooka screens" to thier dip tube?>>>>

I use stainless steel hose clamps. FWIW, I used 3/4" braided hoses used for H/W heaters in my MLT. Works like a charm.

Others have posted on here that this setup does not work in the boil kettle, especially if using pellet hops...clogs too easily. I'll probably go with a bazooka for that app.

Jeff McClain (137.201.242.130)
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the responses!

I tried to find larger H/W heater hose, but 1/2" was the largest Lowes had. I sure hope that these work in the boil kettle, since I'm using a false bottom in the MT, and these are headed for the Boil Kettle.

I'll look for some stainless steel hose clamps and maybe try to find some 3/4" braided hose.

CYA,

-JM

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: