Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Homebrewery Photo Gallery * Automated HLT Control for a HERMS < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Wayne M (68.75.67.104)
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 05:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are some pics of my Automated HLT using a Honeywell Direct Spark Module. The Ignitor and Flame sensor are stock Honeywell parts. The ASCO solenoid valve is gas rated with a 24 volt sealed coil. The burner is a Metal Fusion high pressure 4 inch ring burner controlled by a 0-30 psi propane regulator. The 110 volt Rance ETC powers a 24 volt transformer (on and off) to the Direct Spark Module.

The module has a 4 second trial lockout and a flame out lockout for safety. It is a removeable setup to allow for transport and storage.

Works great. No more tending the HLT temp when adding cold makeup water.

top view
side view
Ranco ETC
Metal Fusion
Ignitor Flame rod
Control Box
ASCO valve
Transformer

aquavitae (134.84.195.46)
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And all this time I've just been using a match...Impressively obsessive.

Wayne M (68.75.67.104)
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 01:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Each Wisconsin Winter I try to add something useful to my HERMS Brewery as a winter project. Too cold to brew outside in the middle winter months and I really like to tinker.

I am running out of improvements after this ignitor project...

Kevin LaDue (12.225.60.162)
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 02:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you seen the Dwyer TS series temperature controllers that offer more features than Ranco at 1/2 the price. The only downside of the Dwyer temperature controllers is the lack of an enclosure, there built for panel mounting.

Wayne M (68.75.67.104)
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 12:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have a link to these controllers?

The NEMA 4? enclosures on the RANCO are a nice feature. The 10 foot sensor wire is also a plus. A better metal sensor that is water proof would be on my RANCO wish list though. Better response time and no thermowell.

Kevin LaDue (12.225.60.162)
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 03:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a link to the Dwyer page with the TS series temperature switches.
https://www.dwyer-inst.com/htdocs/temperature/qsseriests.cfm
Currently working on locating a source for compatible ss probes for use with the TS switches. My temporary solution for achieving a watertight seal, was to insert the probe into a short piece of 3/8" teflon tube with probe tip exposed. The tubing was inserted into a 3/8" swagelock fitting for wort temperature monitoring in my system. With my steam heated recirculating wort system, there are three points monitored,hot water/steam generator outlet, wort from pump, and mixed steam/wort temperature to mash tun.

OverTheHill (24.6.101.6)
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about a reference for the Honeywell Direct Spark Module?

Wayne M (68.75.68.136)
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 04:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://customer.honeywell.com/gassystems/products/igmodule/s87.html

You can also get a pdf file of the manual there somewhere in the tech documentation.

They no longer make a dual ignitor/flame sensor so stay away from that single input module.

You need to purchase a separate ignitor and flame sensor so I went with S87D. Find one with the smallest lockout you can find. Your 24 volt gas solenoid valve needs to be less than 2.0 amps. It also has an 24 volt alarm connection for flameout audio warning.

I have fashioned a thermowell for the Ranco sensor out of brass thin walled tubing found and at hobby stores, just crimp and solder the end. Much more responsive that thicker copper tubing.

Wayne M (68.75.68.136)
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 04:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is the pdf link:

http://hbctechlit.honeywell.com/techlit/PDF/68-0000s/68-0039.pdf

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: