Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Homebrewery Photo Gallery * Brew Magic pictures < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Richard Nye
Username: Yeasty_boy

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just got my Brew Magic and thought you'd like to see some detailed pictures of it. I haven't brewed on it yet, but it's constructed very well and the design seems outstanding.
Here it is on the truck:
On the truck again:
Brew Magic in my garage:
Outside of HLT:
Outside of MT:
Inside of MT:
Outside of BK:
Inside of BK:
Thermocouple:
Outside of control panel:
Inside of control panel:

Pascal Desbiens
Username: Aumaitrebrasseur

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 12:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow!

What a beast! It looks veeeeeeeerrrrrrry nice! Richard, just don't forget to post some comments here when you'll try this beautiful little toy!

Cool...

Why1504
Intermediate Member
Username: Why1504

Post Number: 337
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 02:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard,

Great choice. I am envious.

Beee-yah
Username: Beeeyah

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 06:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks neat. Won't the wort in the sight tube of the BK not boil?

Could you describe how the outlet of the BK is connected to the valve? Couldn't tell from the sabco sight. Looks to be clover, but the ball valve is fpt...

What are you going to make first?

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 4437
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beee-yah, the wort in the sight glass remains below boiling temperature.

Beee-yah
Username: Beeeyah

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 04:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And then that wort doesn't get sanitized....?

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 4445
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It doesn't need to be boiling to be sanitized. The wort in the sight glass reaches 170-180 F, and during a typical boil the time period and temperature are more than sufficient for sanitation.

(Message edited by BillPierce on January 18, 2006)

Richard Nye

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beee-yah...there is a tri-clover fitting between the BK and the valve. I'll agree with Bill that tri-clover fittings are a bit of an overkill for homebrew rigs, but they are easy to disassemble.

My first batch will be a mild. I've never made one and I need something I can drink quick (out of beer). I'll follow that up with my favorite APA recipe.

KeepBrewing
Username: Kb7

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 01:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

GGGGreat set up.

Argie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what a great toy, I am from Argentina and I ve never seen nothing like that, please could tou send a map of it to try to get some similars materials or so to hand make it.
My english is not so good, sorry, I hope you understand what I am trying to say

ELK
Username: Elkski

Post Number: 1380
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill P., Maybe you could take a BM down to Argentina and start a brew pub..I can see it now Bill the "Don" of of some small town.

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 4558
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The smallest commercial system I'd consider would use 55 gal. stainless drums. You could brew 1 bbl. (31 US gal. or 117 liters) batches and keg them in two Sanke kegs. The system would look something like an upsized version of Why1504's. A good-sized restaurant exhaust hood would allow it to be used indoors.

Such a thing would only make sense for a "hobby" connected with a bar or restaurant in a place where there aren't too many licensing restrictions. You certainly couldn't make a living at it.

Richard Nye

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Argie, I don't have a "map" or drawing of it. The best I can do is send you pictures. If you want some detailed pictures of anything I'll take them and email them to you.

Ned Buntline
Username: Ned_buntline

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill Pierce wrote:

"The smallest commercial system I'd consider would use 55 gal. stainless drums."

I was looking over the book that the owner of Dogfish Head Brewery wrote the other day. It seems they started their first establishment with a Brew Magic system. There's a picture of it in the middle of the book.

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 4576
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As nice as the BrewMagic system is, it just seems too small to be usable for a production brewery. In a total of about 10 hours (brewing and racking time) you produce only two corny kegs of beer. That's about one hour of labor per gallon. I'm not an efficiency fanatic, especially about craft brewing, but that just seems absurd to me.

Most brewpubs and microbreweries are so undercaptialized that they have to substitute muscle for technology, but there is a point where you hamstring yourself into paralysis. Time is worth something. Either the proprietor works him/herself to death or pays minimum wage and produces a minimum quality product.

Sean Richens
Intermediate Member
Username: Sean

Post Number: 278
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 02:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hola, Argie.

Probes esto: http://www.brewrats.org/hwb/hwb.html

y esto: http://hbd.org/cdp/

No puedes encontrar "cerveceros1060" que son un club a BA que he conoci hay unos anos. Tal vez el: http://come.to/birraclub los conoce.

Can anyone suggest another nexus of brew systems pages? I met Argentinians who reverse engineered ball-lock keg fittings (in stainless!), made their own crystal malts, so I have no doubt Argie just needs to meet the right people and get a few ideas.

Richard Nye

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, I've brewed 3 11 gal batches so far. A mild, an APA, and a pilsner.

Efficiencies were (measured in the fermenter):
Mild (O.G. 1.040) 93%
APA (O.G. 1.053) 82%
Pils (O.G. 1.048) 80%

The pils had rests at 122F, 140F and 158F. Temperature rise was about 2F/min. The BM held the mash temperatures consistent within 1F, and when I took measurments (with my very accurate Fluke digital thermometer) throughout the mash they were all within 1F of each other. The mash temperature is controlled very, very well.

I had some problem on the first 2 batches during the sparge with the pump loosing prime, but it looks like I've got that worked out. I am going to replace the supplied hose during the sparge with a home-made sprinkler to more gently and evenly sprinkle the water over the grainbed.

The whole brew day is taking me about 6 or 7 hours from start through complete clean up. I've been following Sabco's recommendation of flooding the grain with cold water, letting it sit for 20 minutes, then ramping up to mash temperatures. Next time I'm going to mash into hot liquor to save time.

It's very easy to clean, no problems there. I've been circulating PBW through the pipes, pump and RIMS heater.

After the 3rd brew I took the heating element out and it was pretty crusty. I tried PBW, wire brush and neither worked. Had to soak it in CLR to get in softened up and clean. It took a while to get it out (had to remove 10 screws) then let it soak.

Overall, I'm very happy with the construction quality, ease of operation, and consistency of mash temperatures. It ain't cheap, but it is a pleasure to brew on.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: