Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Homebrewery Photo Gallery * Four crush pictures, help me decide which! < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Darel Matthews
Username: Darel

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got a JSP double-adjusting roller mill for Xmas and I am trying to fine-tune my crush. I will try to post four pictures, in order, 1-4. The first one is the factory setting, which the instructions say is the recommended .045" spacing, however this just looks like flour to me. Please let me know which setting (1,2,3,4, or somewhere in between) I should set my mill at. I personally think #2 looks the best but still a little floury, #3 has all the kernels just about broken in half. I would like opinions from guys with more experience though.

FWIW this is all equal amounts of Maris Otter, crushed into a bucket and shaken just once, just enough to cover the bottom and not pile up.

#1 (factory setting)

jeff wright
Username: Barly

Post Number: 125
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Darel,
the first one looks good to me. Lots of whole husks, and I believe this will give good efficiency.

brew on,
jeff

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 4478
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What Jeff said.

Scott Manning
Username: Liquidbreaddiet

Post Number: 177
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have a jsp mill that is not adjustable and it looks exactly like number 1 - has worked great for me so far!!!

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 2083
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I say #1 as well. Funny though, when I set my Valley Mill to .045 the crush looks more like # 2 or 3.

I took Dan up on his offer of screening some samples recently and found that the .045 setting was very coarse. I re-inforced the legs on my MT and used a finer grind on Friday and everything worked fine.

Phil Lapp
Username: Phil_lapp

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

#1 looks closest to what I get with my JSP.

Dan Listermann
Username: Listermann

Post Number: 2379
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for bringing that up, Vance. The offer to screen grist samples for free still stands for the moment. Just send me about 2 oz of your grist and I will put it through my seives and let you know what they look like. Remember to collect the samples as they fall out of the rollers. Do not collect them from a pile, grist stratifies very quickly and this will throw the data way off.

Dan

--This space is again being left intentionally blank.-

Pascal Desbiens
Username: Aumaitrebrasseur

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Valley Mill gives me the same grist as the first picture too... I love this mill! Mine is mounted with an old washing machine engine and goes at 300 RPM.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: