Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Homebrewery Photo Gallery * Photo Album: Too Weird to Classify * . . . a Wonder to Behold! < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

D. Timothy Price
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2001 - 10:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ms. Kent Golding making her appearance known!

kent golding

Worthog

Drew T.
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 05:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Tim,
What is your geographic location?
I am in Virginia and don't know when to expect mine. 'Course I just planted 'em last week.

Drew

D. Timothy Price
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 05:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Southern Oregon here. Ms. Golding has been in for about three weeks but had a bit of a 'head start'. She was budding when planted. The Cascades, Liberty, Mt.Hood, and Nugget are just visible. I'll post some pix of them soon. I went directly to Freshops and bought them as they were being trimmed. I was treated to a wonderful brown ale as my purchase was being collected - a very cool experience indeed! Picked up 10 oz. of dried hop flowers, too.

Good luck with yours! Our weather has been relatively cool and wet (thankfully, as we expect a drought this summer) so yours shouldn't be too much longer.

Worthog

Drew T.
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 05:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Tim!

Drew

Denny Conn
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, Freshops actually let you go there to pick them up??? When I asked them about that last year they said no way, just order them. Did you just drop in unannounced, or have they changed their tune?

D. Timothy Price
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I called ahead of time and asked directions. Perhaps I hit them at just the right time. I was prepared for a huge operation with hop arbors all over the place and a large modern production facility. I was quite pleasantly surprised by the down-home modesty and back-country simplicity of their place. Truthfully, I had a little difficulty finding them!

I was invited to join in the trimming and separating of the rhysomes. I declined as I had already driven 400 miles that day and had another 200 to go. Next time, though, I'll know to take a bit more time.

Dave Wills, the owner, is also involved with the Oregon Trail Brewery in Corvallis, about ten miles away. The nut brown he served up for me was an Oregon Trail product and was perhaps the best I've ever tasted!

It was a very positive, educational experience.

Worthog

P.S. - NAYY with either Freshops or Oregon Trail other than being a VERY satisfied customer!

D. Timothy Price
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2001 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mt.Hood, just peaking through!

Mt. Hood

Worthog

kurt schweter
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 01:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

here in So. Cal
the hops from last year are already in the 3 foot range

Brent Hornberger
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 02:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are my galena hops. I live in St. Louis, MO

Brent

hops2001.jpg

and

2hops2001.jpg

Drew T.
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 02:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Brent,
When did you plant your hops? They are already so tall!

Drew

Brent Hornberger
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 02:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those were planted last spring 2000. That is off of one root. I just transplanted and split up about 5 other roots, they are just comming up on the other side of the yard. Those suckers root fast. I remeber last year planting the 3 rhysomes, they were only about 6" in length, but after seperating them, I must of had about 48" of roots.

later

D. Timothy Price
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 03:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very cool - let's all share our hop baby pix!

Worthog

P.S. - more to come from here, too!

ron
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brent,
Where in St. Louis are you? I'm in the city and have considered planting some hops - not this year, too much other work to do on the yard, but I'd be interested in seeing your setup.

Brent Hornberger
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A little update on the hops. Here are two pics from the last time I posted pics a few mesages up.

1,hops1
2,hops2

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: