Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Homebrewery Photo Gallery * Photo Album: Too Weird to Classify * Hop baby pictures! < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

MattK
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2001 - 08:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's my set-up in Western MA. 5 plants, all growing in their 3rd season. Front 2 are eroica, back three northern brewer. If I can keep those damn aphids at bay this year, it should be a nice harvest.
viewnorth

Dave Bowser
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2001 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Matt K,

Check in your area for an organic gardening supply, they probably can lead you to a pest control to use.

Joe Moore
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2001 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I heard that lady bugs love to eat aphids.

Chad
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are my babies. In the first picture, the one on the far right is Willamette, the one in the middle is Mt. Hood and the one not very visible on the left is Cascade. The second picture is from the other side so the order is reversed.

Hops1

Hops2

I am growing these in a slightly raised bed in which I mixed soil with leaf mulch and some peat moss. The "trellis" is pressure treated wood and I think that next season I'll run two strings from each plant, making sort of a V up to the trellis then run them to the shed.

Chad
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are my babies. In the first picture, the one on the far right is Willamette, the one in the middle is Mt. Hood and the one not very visible on the left is Cascade. The second picture is from the other side so the order is reversed.

Hops1

Hops2

I am growing these in a slightly raised bed in which I mixed soil with leaf mulch and some peat moss. The "trellis" is pressure treated wood and I think that next season I'll run two strings from each plant, making sort of a V up to the trellis then run them to the shed.

Chad
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lets try the pictures one at a time - perhaps they're too big together:

Hops1

Chad
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2001 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep, they were too big - sorry! Here's the second one:

Hops2

MattK
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2001 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lookin' good Chad! But methinks you're going to run out of room...are you going to run them out to the building in the background? It could double as a clothesline ;)
MattK

DaveB
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2001 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks great MattK. Hope to do something like this next year, after I move somewhere with a little more open space.

Where are you located in Western Mass.? my wife's family is from the northern part of Berkshire Co. We head up there every few months or so.... any favorite micros up that way that I should look for next time I'm there?

Chad
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2001 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MattK,

I guess it is hard to tell from the picture but the lines are already going out to the shed from the top of the "T".

As of right now the two taller plants are up to the top of the "T"

Hop (66.189.29.250)
Posted on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 12:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My hops, from 2001, also in massachusetts, south of Worcester
http://www.mirageport.com/hopboy/images/hops.jpg
http://www.mirageport.com/hopboy/images/hops2.jpg

mike1234 (206.54.145.254)
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I didn't think you could grow that stuff so far north

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: