|Posted on Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 10:06 pm: ||
Crystal Malt Scans
This is a composite post of what I've posted over on the main board under the heading "But is it crystal 60?".
Recently tried my hand at making some caramel/crystal malt (taget of 60L) using the following procedure:
Briefly my procedure for making the caramel malt:
- I put 12 oz 2-row pale ale malt in a quart drink mug (the insulated type that convinience stores will refill) filled with cold water and left in the fridge for 24 hrs.
- Drained the water and put the mug in the microwave and brought it up to 155F. Tried to keep it between 150F and 155F for 1 hr. (it didn't work as well as I thought it would, I had to give it several short bursts to keep the temp up).
- Spread the malt on a recessed cookie tray and placed in the oven. Dried the malt at 225F for 45 minutes and then raised the temp to 350F. After about 10 minutes at 350F the malt started popping, I decided to lower the temp back down to 300F. Popping stopped and I left it there for another 30 minutes. Next time I will dry it longer befor raising the temp.
I then used my computer, scanner, and Paint Shop Pro to quantify the results:
I used some store bought caramel 120L, 60L, and some pale ale malt that is probably 3-4L for comparison purposes. Crushed the grain (fairly fine), put the crushings in clear plasric bags, shook the bags to get most of the hulls to the top, and then scanned the bottom of the bags. I then used PSP's histogram to get the overall lightness:
(Scale of 0=black & 255=white):
3-4L = 188
mine = 123
60L = 106
120L = 99
I'm a little suspicious of the 120L, but that's what it said on the bag (I would have expected a greater difference between it and the 60L). I would guess that the caramel I made is closer to a 30L then the 60L that I was shooting for. The taste of the store bought 60L had a more distinct burnt carmel taste than mine.
|Posted on Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 10:11 pm: ||