Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2007 * Archive through January 09, 2007 * Unusual fruit lambic - advice? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Graham Cox
Advanced Member
Username: T2driver

Post Number: 840
Posted From: 68.32.253.156
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 06:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 15-gallon Hungarian oak barrel full of lambic base. I intend to use it as a solera, pulling a few gallons at a time and replacing them with fresh wort.

I am going to do a fruit lambic in the late spring, but I'd like to do something slightly unusual. There are several fruits in the blackberry/raspberry family that could be used to make a lambic, and I'm open to suggestions. I am considering:

Boysenberry - "A large, long 'blackberry' with few seeds and robust raspberry-like flavor."
Loganberry - "A tangy, purplish-red cross between wild blackberry and red raspberry."
Marionberry - "A variety of blackberry, develped in Oregon, with large fruit and intense flavor."

Additionally, apricot and maybe even cranberry.

I'm also considering getting a family farm in Michigan to overnight me some sour cherries, complete with pits, to make an as-close-to-traditional-as-is-possible-in-the-U.S. kriek.

I prostrate myself upon the altar of your knowledge.

Paul Edwards aka "Buster"
Username: Pedwards

Post Number: 1217
Posted From: 70.236.7.123
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Back in 1996, I had a kriek p-lambic take a 2nd at the AHA Nat's and BoS at BURP's Spirit of Belgium.

I used sour cherry juice that local winery obtained from a cannery in Door County, WI. When the cherries were pitted, the cannery collected the juice and sold it. The local winery got a tanker truck full of juice for an in-house cherry wine, and sold a lot of the juice to hobbyists.

I recall that I used 1 gallon of juice with 4 gallons of the base lambic.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 6194
Posted From: 24.57.224.220
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sour cherry juice concentrate is available from an orchard in northern Michigan, where three-quarters of the world's sour cherry crop comes from. I'm sure I could get the information for you if you wanted; I know they mail order it. A friend of mine got a bottle of it (it's pricey at about $30 for a half-gallon) and we used it to make a stunning mead. The color is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.

Cranberries also make a wonderful pLambic. I'm surprised one of the Belgian lambic breweries hasn't brewed one. Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic is a mere hint of what can be done. The winner of the sour Belgian category at the finals of the 2003 NHC was a cranberry pLambic that I had the good fortune to be able to sample. It was outstanding. I also judged a mead made from varietal cranberry honey from a beekeeper in Wisconsin. I can't begin to describe the subtleties of flavor it had.

(Message edited by billpierce on January 07, 2007)