Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2007 * Archive through January 09, 2007 * Brix and Plato < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Joakim Ruud
Advanced Member
Username: Joques

Post Number: 512
Posted From: 84.209.10.232
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Considering buying a Brix refractometer, just wondering: Is Brix the exact same thing as Plato? I've read that both Brix and Plato readings equal the percentage of sugar in solution by weight. Is there something I am missing?

For instance, since there is other stuff in beer wort than just water and sugar, do you need to correct the Brix readings to get the correct Plato reading?
For to accuse requires less eloquence, such is man's nature, than to
excuse; and condemnation, than absolution, more resembles justice.
-Hobbes, Leviathan

Paul Edwards aka "Buster"
Username: Pedwards

Post Number: 1223
Posted From: 70.236.28.172
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This might help you:

http://byo.com/mrwizard/730.html

or this

http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue1.3/manning.html

(Message edited by pedwards on January 08, 2007)

Joakim Ruud
Advanced Member
Username: Joques

Post Number: 513
Posted From: 84.209.10.232
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the link! In that one article he talks about a correction factor that you need to use since wort contains stuff other than sugar and water.

And through a US department of agriculture sucrose conversion chart I got from the prodigal, I have gotten confirmation that Brix and Plato are in fact identical. To the last decimal, even. So long as there's only sugar and water, that is

(Message edited by joques on January 08, 2007)
For to accuse requires less eloquence, such is man's nature, than to
excuse; and condemnation, than absolution, more resembles justice.
-Hobbes, Leviathan