Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2007 * Archive through January 25, 2007 * Frozen SS ball valve??? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

ELK
Username: Elkski

Post Number: 1758
Posted From: 71.195.244.40
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 04:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I wash the kegs and tip them over to drain and left them outside till I get around to thinking there might be water in the valves and they might be closed. So I check and they both had some water in them and were closed. It was 4 nights in the low 20's. How much pressure does frozen water exert? these valves have 300psi WOG on them?
How do I check them for damage? I remember reading about an exploding ball valve during the boil in here. I don't want one of those.
A beer a day keeps the Mormons away!!

Bob Wall
Advanced Member
Username: Brewdudebob

Post Number: 655
Posted From: 71.204.15.75
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 07:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good question.

Living in Georgia, I sometimes get caught by surprise with an overnight freeze. I have had spray guns on my garden hoses crack from ice expansion before.

I would imagine if after your valves are warmed up, and your ball valve levers still move without unnececessary force, they are ok.

Also give them a visual inspection and see if they leak. Expanding ice can be pretty powerful, but a 300 WOG Parker Stainless Ball Valve is a well crafted piece of engineering. These same valves were used on the Apollo missions to the Moon.

http://www.history.nasa.gov/alsj/alsj-ParkerValve.html
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

ELK
Username: Elkski

Post Number: 1759
Posted From: 71.195.244.40
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well at the least this post may get others to be sure to bleed the valves if leaving the kegs outside.
Man this winter seems cold early. And we are getting a real cold blast friday highs in the teens all weekend and a slow slow warming trend.
A beer a day keeps the Mormons away!!

Connie
Advanced Member
Username: Connie

Post Number: 910
Posted From: 24.98.76.59
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 02:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't let Al Gore hear you say that.
I had one of the brass ball valves freeze on my back deck a couple years ago (also in Georgia). It was obvious when inspected and it leaked.

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 2601
Posted From: 208.49.148.10
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 04:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can have water trapped inside a ball valve with it all the way open too. Not nearly as much as when closed of course. Best to leave them half way open if they're going to be frozen.