Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2007 * Archive through January 25, 2007 * Putting a lid on it < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Little Dipper
Username: Littledipper

Post Number: 149
Posted From: 206.114.61.199
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm curious to know how many of you keep a lid on your boil - even partially. I've always brewed lid free to prevent DMS. The only time I keep it covered is as I'm coming to a boil to speed things up. However, I'm wondering if I'm losing anything (flavors, aromas) by brewing this way. Should I be keeping a lid partially on or anything like that? Just curious what everyone else does.

Also, I brew in my basement (with electric), so winds are not an issue for me.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 6220
Posted From: 24.57.224.220
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It depends on the situation. With a good burner and in reasonable weather conditions it should not be necessary to partially cover the kettle during the boil. However, there is not anything wrong if your situation requires a partial cover as long as there is a good rolling boil and the majority of the surface remains uncovered to allow for evaporation of DMS presursors and other undesirable volatile fractions.

The Jolly Brewer
Username: Matfink

Post Number: 1381
Posted From: 86.128.164.181
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sometimes I do, I have two elements in my kettle and I like to cut one when it comes to the boil, if it is very cold, i sometimes have to half cover the kettle to keep a good rolling boil with one element.

Richard Nye
Username: Yeasty_boy

Post Number: 1951
Posted From: 68.4.202.69
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I say let the steam loose so you can smell your efforts.