Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2007 * Archive through January 25, 2007 * Corriander, Zest, and American Wheat < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Peter Roman
Advanced Member
Username: Lilbordr

Post Number: 941
Posted From: 12.2.115.11
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings,
I was hoping you fine gents could give me a quick overview on the use of corriander and citrus zest and how they can be used in brewing american wheats. I had Carolina Blond's Cottonwood America Wheat last night at the pub and really liked it. There was a citrus aftertaste that really complimented the beer. The bartender told me that they use coriander and lemon (I'm assuming extract due to the large volume). I've heard of brewers zesting lemons and oranges and I'm wondering how I can do this. Does Hogarden use the same method?
Thanks!
Peter 'the kid' Roman

Anthony Catencamp
Username: Reddog

Post Number: 49
Posted From: 216.170.141.133
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 07:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter,

I've tried dried bitter orange peel in conjunction with corriander and I didn't care for it. It gave the wit a kind of hammy taste. I believe that Hoegaarden uses the bitter orange peel in their recipe. When I brewed my next American Wheat, I used the zest from four large navel oranges (10 gallon batch) and the flavor from the oranges came through much better. Although, it wasn't a fair comparison because the Am. Wheat recipe made use of Amarillo's and the yeast was US-56 instead of the WLP400. After brewing a number of Hefe's, I got kind of burnt out on wheat beers, but the American Wheat I brewed brought me back very quickly. It is also a beer that got a few neighbors interested in other beers they might not have tried otherwise.

Randy Hamm
Username: Hamm

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 12.218.128.67
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter,

I brewed an american wheat on tuesday and am trying the orange zest. On a 10 gal batch I used Perle hops for bittering (60 min) and fresh ground corriander and dried bitter orange peel (15 min) and at flame out added the zest of four large oranges. I did clean the oranges and put them in a container w/star san solution for a few minutes prior to zesting, (I used the fine grate of a cheese grater).

The batch was split into two fermenters, one with Wyeast 1056 and the other with Wyeast 1010.

I do have a question for you, since you have lived in colder climates.The fermenters are in my garage with an ambient temperature of ~60-65f. Fermentation started rather slow and with colder weather coming, garage temp may drop to the mid to low 50's. Will 1056 and/or 1010 do OK with the low temp or should I move to an inside closet?

Randy