Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2007 * Archive through January 25, 2007 * Crooked Tree IPA and Bells problems in WI < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Mike Huss
Username: Mikhu

Post Number: 1512
Posted From: 69.21.247.113
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 01:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A couple things not about homebrewing but beer related nonetheless.

A couple months ago PTA told me that one of the local liquor stores was carrying this IPA called Crooked Tree from Dark Horse brewing. Wow is this stuff good. Any of you fellow hopheads had the chance to try it?

Then, at another liquor store today I asked a buyer if they got or were getting any Bell's Hop Slam. He said we are in bad shape on Bell's beer now too. A different distributer took over the Bell's distribution for us as well and all we can get, at least in this part of Wisconsin, is Amber, Stout, Pale Ale, and Two Hearted. So we aren't hurtin as bad as Illinois, but that still sucks.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 6318
Posted From: 24.57.224.220
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 04:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dark Horse is an interesting little microbrewery in Marshall, Michigan, very near where I grew up. Their beers are not always consistent, but the Crooked Tree IPA is a winner. Even better is their Reserve Special Black Bier, a sort of imperial porter that is unique and worth buying if you happen to see it. Dark Horse's distribtion is spotty, so it's hard to say where their beers will show up.

Tom Burk may chime in here. Dark Horse is in his general area and he knows the people there.

(Message edited by BillPierce on January 21, 2007)

Mike Huss

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been tempted to try the Special Black, we get that one too. Knowing now that it is basically an imperial porter then I most certainly will have to try it.

Jerry Hays
Username: Jlh8643

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 216.176.155.229
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 05:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In NW Indiana we get a few different Dark Horse brews. I've enjoyed Crooked Tree in the past and I'm anxious to try their Double Crooked Tree. The counter person tried to get me to try their Tres, a fruit flavored stout but I passed. They also had their Special Black but I got the Hop Slam instead. One thing that I have noticed about Bells lately is that all of the sixers that I've gotten lately, 2 hearted, double cream, java, hell hath, they all have a ton of sediment. I bottle my HB a ton cleaner than they have been lately. Does anyone know what is going on with that?

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 6320
Posted From: 24.57.224.220
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bell's yeast, supposedly another descendent of the Sierra Nevada strain (Wyesat 1056/White Labs WLP001) like Rogue's Pacman, produces wonderful beers but is rather powdery and unflocculent. In my recollection the bottles have always had an above average amount of yeast sediment.

Mike Huss

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jerry, I agree with Bill. I've always remembered Bell's beers having more than the average amount of yeast sediment. I don't think it's anything new.

Tom Burk
Username: Tomburk

Post Number: 143
Posted From: 66.231.36.140
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aaron wants all of the beers at Dark Horse to have a personality. The IPA and Black beer are good, but I also like the Sapient Tripel and the Thirsty Trout porter. I think the Double Crooked Tree should be released again soon. Sometimes there is a Three Guys Off the Scale Old Ale that comes in at about 15%.
I believe his degree is in graphics and he does his own label design work. They have recently been expanding the brewery to up capacity.
You can kind of get the feel of the place at www.darkhorsebrewery.com
I will be stopping there this week.

Little Dipper
Username: Littledipper

Post Number: 161
Posted From: 69.221.236.60
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The recipe for the thirsty trout porter was published in the March-April 2006 BYO if anyone's after that one.

Jerry Hays
Username: Jlh8643

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 216.176.155.22
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 06:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I see a lot more than just yeast sediment in Bells lately. I hope with all the demand for their beer, they are not getting lazy in their attention to detail with their conditioning and handling.

Tom Burk
Username: Tomburk

Post Number: 144
Posted From: 66.231.35.42
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you find a baby mouse in the bottle you can take it back to the brewery for free beer, it's like the law here in MI.