Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2007 * Archive through March 23, 2007 * Craft Brewers Conference < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Dan Listermann
Username: Listermann

Post Number: 4119
Posted From: 216.23.59.245
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anybody ever been to one of these? Toying with making a RV trip to Austin, TX for it this year. It is coming up real quick next month.

Dan

--This space is STILL being left intentionally blank.-

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 6644
Posted From: 24.57.224.220
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was at the 2000 Craft Brewers Conference in Milwaukee for a day (I happened to be there visiting friends). I didn't have credentials to attend the technical sessions, but I could roam the booths on the main floor. I ran into some people I knew from Siebel. In all, it was interesting, but I'm not sure I would make it a destination trip unless I could get someone else to pay for it.

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 4122
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 05:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looking at the schedule, I would only have interest in the technical side and there is not much there that I really feel a deep need to jump all over. If I decide to go, it would probably have to be justified as a social / contact development point of view. I am not sure that I want to bore the wife for three days for that. It is bad enough that I have to bore her an afternoon to attend a beer judging this coming weekend in Columbus.

John Ferens
Username: John_ferens

Post Number: 188
Posted From: 71.60.245.60
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan,

Austin, TX is a wonderful destination on it's own and there are a surprising number of very good area/regional craft breweries whose wares are available in a number of local establishments (the Ginger Man comes to mind). I've been fortunate to visit Austin a few times on business and wouldn't hesitate volunteering for another trip there.

John.

Mike Rotert
Username: Mike_rotert

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 216.160.130.214
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm going this year for the first time. I'm going to take in a couple of the technical topics, but mostly will be on the floor. I'm also looking forward to the Gingerman and some bbq!

davidw
Username: Davidw

Post Number: 1717
Posted From: 65.163.6.62
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Columbus this weekend, Dan?!!?

You can not miss:

http://www.schmidthaus.com/

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 4125
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An excellent suggestion! I have heard about the Schmidthaus from the time I was in ninth grade German class. "Herr Mertens" would rave about it. It may not take much to attract the wife's attention.

What is their beer selection like?

davidw
Username: Davidw

Post Number: 1718
Posted From: 65.163.6.62
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not bad at all. We were there last summer and they had four or five German beers on tap and also have their own offerings, brewed by Elevator Brewing Co. I believe, that were rather good if not generic in name. In other words you could order either an amber lager or dark lager and you got just that. However, each had enough character to make it appealing. The atmosphere itself is well worth the visit. If memory serves the building is an old stable so there are multiple rooms to wander through. Also, you can't miss the meat counter when you walk in. A line to purchase brauts persisted the entire time we were there having lunch. The sausage stew is incredible!

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 4126
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have talked Her into it!

Dan

Michael Boyd
Intermediate Member
Username: Mlboyd

Post Number: 323
Posted From: 69.85.158.6
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any lame excuse I could come up with would be all I'd need for a trip to Austin. It is the new capitol of country music. Google around, there is tons of music to be heard there. Not to mention the beer and bbq.

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 4130
Posted From: 69.58.15.129
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We stopped into the Schmidthaus last night. I had the Weiner schnitzel and She had the Hofbrau schnitzel. Both were very good. The beer selection was pedestrian for a nice place like that. I had a Paulaner Oktoberfest and a Hoster Lager ( brewed in Toledo ). Good live "Umm Pa" music to get ethnic about.

On the way out She spotted a sweat shirt that had a drawing of Santa splayed out on the ground and Rudholph crash landed on an outhouse. Santa said,"Damn it, Rudolph, I said, 'the Schmidthaus!'" She has a cousin named "Schmidt" so we bought it for him.

Dan Listermann

Post Number: 4135
Posted From: 69.58.15.129
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 04:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

keeping with the Columbus, Ohio tangent, we stopped at "Barley's" on High Street today to have their cask served rye IPA. It was very nice with a huge Santium dry hop nose. The only rye aspect that could be noted was a very full body but no earthiness that rye seems to produce.

Dan

Graham Cox
Advanced Member
Username: T2driver

Post Number: 985
Posted From: 68.32.253.156
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 04:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've stumbled out of Barley's a couple of times in the last couple of months.