Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2007 * Archive through March 23, 2007 * Olde Man's March tip < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Marlon Lang
Username: Marlon_lang

Post Number: 40
Posted From: 70.149.169.74
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, boys and girls.
"Who's the leader of the gang that's made . . ."
Oops.
This month tip is a two-banger. First, IMHO, hops should be purchased in pound quantities. A pound of Cascade is about $7 and an ounce is $1 - you figure it.
Tip #1: A pound of pellet hops will exactly fill a quart Mason jar (NAYY). The Mason jar is air-tight and can easily be stored in your freezer.

Tip #2: A 1/2" dia, 2-3/4" long prescription bottle holds 1/2 oz of hops. (At least close enough for horse shoes, hand grenades, and homebrewing).

'Til next month, keep saving those box tops to get your secret decoder ring.

tim roth
Advanced Member
Username: Hopdude

Post Number: 505
Posted From: 12.206.8.165
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, thanks Marlon.
I was thinkin' the quart jar thing might be a good idea. Glad to hear it's a proven method.
Any tips on storing leaf hops (other than vacuum sealers)?
I bought a pound of cascade whole hops from hopsdirect and I've used them HEAVILY but, I think I still have a pound leftover. :>) cheers,tim
You know I'm on the level because, my bubble is in the middle.

Marlon Lang

Post Number: 42
Posted From: 70.149.188.6
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tim,
As a matter of fact, I can report that if you cut off the corner of the foil bag from Hops Direct, it can be resealed with seal-a-meal, et al. You have to run the SEAL several times, but you can. Fresh Hops uses a clear, plastic bag and I have not tried to re-seal one. And yes, whole hops take up a lot more space. I am fortunate enough to have a freezer (obtained, free) to store my hops in. YMMV

michael atkins
Advanced Member
Username: Mga

Post Number: 532
Posted From: 65.103.164.231
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 12:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marlon - Great Info! I have an inventory of pellets (bought from my LHBS) and leaf variety from(Hops Direct). I usually buy in quantity, so I am always in the position of having much more hops left over at the end of the brewing season than I ever could possibly use.

Some are from 3-5 years old?

So do you throw them out! Yes I know it's Heresy, but give me your best shot!
Love This Hobby!

http://msnusers.com/micksbrewery

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 6664
Posted From: 24.57.224.220
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gee, Buffalo Bob, I thought you were going to ask what time it is.

Seriously, good tips about hops.

michael atkins
Advanced Member
Username: Mga

Post Number: 533
Posted From: 65.103.164.231
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 01:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok Bill - A real "Howdy Doody" moment.

But seriously - Getting back to my thread Hijack. How long do you keep your hops?
Love This Hobby!

http://msnusers.com/micksbrewery

tim roth
Advanced Member
Username: Hopdude

Post Number: 506
Posted From: 12.206.8.165
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 01:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks again Marlon, I'll give it a shot. cheers,tim
You know I'm on the level because, my bubble is in the middle.

Marlon Lang

Post Number: 43
Posted From: 70.149.188.6
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 01:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Michael:
I brew often enough that I am never faced with "old" hops (not braggin' just fact!). But, here are some posibilities for using older stock:
Mash hop: Pellets/whole hops in the grain, Requires 1/3 more (1.5x) (Denny?)
Mash hop: Whole flowers under the false bottom, if possible.
First Wort hop: Some debate on this, but many feel that 1.1x is required. (Denny ?)
Late hop additions: One ounce at 25, 20, 15, 10 ,5, KO, and dry.

Bob Boufford
Intermediate Member
Username: Bobb

Post Number: 368
Posted From: 68.149.174.16
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 01:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marlon,

Add to your list: Use the really old hops for lambics.

Jim O'Conner
Advanced Member
Username: Roguejim

Post Number: 856
Posted From: 204.16.45.114
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 06:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice idea on the mason jar except you can't remove the O2 from the jar, at least I don't think you can...

Allow me to speak out of turn for Denny again (he loves this) and say that mash hopping is largely overrated, if not a complete waste. Very little return on your investment.
Jim

Mike A.
Intermediate Member
Username: Mike_a

Post Number: 279
Posted From: 128.173.15.155
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was thinking the same thing Jim, if you buy in oz increments they remain sealed and oxygen free until use.

Can you easily purge a mason jar with CO2 or N2?

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 2675
Posted From: 208.49.148.10
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Foodsaver has an attachment for Mason jars but I've never tried to use it.

Steve Funk
Intermediate Member
Username: Tundra45

Post Number: 302
Posted From: 209.216.184.154
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also like to use quart & pint mason jars for hop pellets. An easy method to remove much of the O2 is to purge with CO2 at a slow rate for about 30 seconds. Just hook a CO2 line to a stiff hollow plastic tube like a ball point pen barrel and shove it to the bottom and purge away. I'm not sure of how much difference it makes but it makes me feel better. Loose hop flowers continue to be a problem as I haven't had a lot of luck resealing the foil bags. Even Food Saver bags don't reseal real well once they get coated with lupulin "dust". Hijack: Has anyone considered making their own plugs from loose hops to reduce storage volume?

Hophead
Username: Hophead

Post Number: 2466
Posted From: 167.4.1.41
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

whole leaf vacuum seals very well, though you end up with odd shapes to store. I've got hops upto 2.5 years old, which are fine when vac sealed and in freezer. 5 years might be pushing the limits...

If they're green and smell good, use 'em!

Pacman
Advanced Member
Username: Pacman

Post Number: 825
Posted From: 12.32.159.2
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Foodsaver attachment works beautifully... I have some pellet hops stored like this in the freezer... I don't know if 100% of the air is pulled out or not but when you pry the lid off you get the 'pssssssst' sound of air rushing back in... The lid is pretty hard to pull off too so it provides a pretty good vacuum.....
Damn Brewing's Fun!!!! Kölsch Krusader!

Geoff Buschur
Username: Avmech

Post Number: 1451
Posted From: 208.8.57.2
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm in the Foodsaver whole hops camp.
"I've been drunk for 14 years...my judgment isn't what it used to be."

Jeff Preston
Username: Jeffpreston

Post Number: 245
Posted From: 142.161.184.6
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm with Hophead. If they smell good use them. I vac-seal my whole hops and keep them in the freezer. Good for two years or more in my opinion.