Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2007 * Archive through April 17, 2007 * Triple bock < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

KeepBrewing
Username: Kb7

Post Number: 232
Posted From: 24.184.80.79
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 01:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does any one remember Sam Adams triple bock? Has any one ever brewed a clone of it?
I remember this beer to be as thick as syrup with hints of chocolate maple liquorish and oak. I thought it was a real good beer. Does anyone know how to make it? Or even know what I am talking about?

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 6822
Posted From: 24.57.224.220
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do a search of the archives and you will find quite a bit of discussion about it. The subject comes up periodically. I have never seen a recipe for it.

For my money (it's not cheap) I think SATB is absolutely wretched, something like soy sauce with maple syrup. I suggested it might be all right as a marinade for stir fry, but a friend tried it and said it didn't even work for that.

Paul Edwards
Username: Pedwards

Post Number: 1342
Posted From: 70.236.0.26
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We tried an old bottle the other night at a friend's house. Maple syrup flavored soy sauce is an apt descriptor.

I still have a couple of bottles I paid $1 apiece for when a local bar closed it out of inventory in 1995.

The upside is that one 8.5 ounce bottle serves about 17 people

Hophead
Username: Hophead

Post Number: 2529
Posted From: 68.106.63.184
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 03:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

keepbrew, yer in the minority, atleast around here, on the satb (thx bp for the acronym). soy sauce indeed. now the sa double bock is a great brew IMHO, though I haven't seen it in some time.

The cobalt blue bottles were cool though... :-)

KeepBrewing

Post Number: 233
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok then my memory serves me wrong it was a very long time since I had tried it.
I guess it would go well with Sushi

Hophead

Post Number: 2531
Posted From: 167.4.1.41
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 08:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sorry kb, in retrospect, I shouldn't have put the stuff down! I just remember when it first came out, and it was a big disappointment to me...

Here's what I remember from it if you're gonna give it a shot...

18% alcohol
noble hops
tons of caramalt (I would guess special b)
2-row malt
maple syrup
ale & champagne yeast
age in oak whiskey barrel
uncarbonated

I recall claims of "4X the amount of malt" and "1lb of malt per 8oz bottle" too...

Good luck!

KeepBrewing

Post Number: 235
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 05:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks I am not trying to re make it. Maybe the one I had many years ago was a fresh one. The chocolate bock was a disappointment to me mainly because of the price. The double bock is not that great. As I write this I am trying a Stone IPA and the beer has a fresh kettle hop smell and fresh kettle hop taste. I think this beer is smoking.

Hophead

Post Number: 2533
Posted From: 167.4.1.41
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 04:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"The double bock is not that great."

sacre bleu! :-)

Funny, I was considering a stone IPA clone this weekend, but then I read the SSOS thread (and I have glacier hops), and am leaning towards that now; decisions, decisions...

Tex Brewer
Username: Texbrewer

Post Number: 136
Posted From: 216.62.203.81
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SA Triple Bock is the most revolting beer I ever tried. Five of us split one of those small bottles (8 oz?) and nobody could finish theirs. I almost hurled.

I have made many beers with maple syrup, and it finishes completely dry with a wonderful delicate flavor. SATB does not have that, unless they added it after killing the yeast.

tim roth
Advanced Member
Username: Hopdude

Post Number: 513
Posted From: 12.206.8.165
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SA Triple Bock was terrible. Nice try but, terrybull! cheers,tim
You know I'm on the level because, my bubble is in the middle.