Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2007 * Archive through July 05, 2007 * It never ends... < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Joakim Ruud
Advanced Member
Username: Joques

Post Number: 747
Posted From: 84.209.9.142
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 08:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...this search for possible sources of contamination, I mean. I just discovered that the black "beverage out" connector can be disassembled and cleaned. I took one that I thought I'd cleaned thoroughly by running cleaning solution through it like I always do, broke it apart and lo and behold it still smelled of beer in there. Not stale beer mind you, but still. Not that I think this is a big danger, as O2 and bacteria should find it hard to get in there, but as a possible source for contamination I feel it has to be addressed.

So now I've set up a schedule where once a month I will not only clean the lines and tap handles, but break apart the connectors also.

Phew, it's getting to be a lotta work!
For to accuse requires less eloquence, such is man's nature, than to
excuse; and condemnation, than absolution, more resembles justice.
-Hobbes, Leviathan

The Jolly Brewer
Username: Matfink

Post Number: 1636
Posted From: 86.128.168.7
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 08:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you break apart you kegs and clean the poppets and connectors etc?

I get paranoid every now and again and break everything down and clean and sterilise it. then I just go back to the regular running cleaning solution through everything until the next paranoia attack!

Joakim Ruud
Advanced Member

Post Number: 748
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 08:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Do you break apart you kegs and clean the poppets and connectors etc?"

Every time a keg runs dry... :-)
-Hobbes, Leviathan

Joakim Ruud
Advanced Member

Post Number: 749
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm, starting to think that maybe I panicked too soon on this one...After all, after one year's continuous use it still smelled of fresh beer, and no off odours. It can't possibly be a big deal.

Sorry everybody, I just had a knee-jerk reaction. Nothing to see here, move along... :-)
-Hobbes, Leviathan

The Jolly Brewer

Post Number: 1637
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lol.

It's funny. Different people have different levels of sanitation and cleanliness. Some people would shudder at my methods, yet others would think I was over zealous. We have one guy in our club that we call a 'seat of yer pants' brewer. He does seem to fly in the face of convention with certain of his practices, wrings hops out with his hands, uses old yeast, leaves his hops in the cupboard not the fridge or freezer etc. But in spite of this he brews superb beer.

Joakim Ruud
Advanced Member

Post Number: 750
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good for him! :-)

I guess most of what we do is unnecessary, but it's easy to get caught up in a downward spiral of obsessive cleanliness... It's probably healthy to now and again take a step back and try to see what is necessary and what is over the top.

For my own part, I've stuck my arm into the BK to unclog the drain valve, just days after reading here that somebody else had done the exact same thing. The beer turned out fine.
-Hobbes, Leviathan

The Jolly Brewer

Post Number: 1638
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I've done that too! I've dropped stuff into it too and had to fish them out.

stephen weiss
Username: Emeroid

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 163.246.48.82
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I blow steam cleaner steam for a minute through disconnects and this sterlizes the poppets with out the pain of removing them and them leaking on reassembly.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 7218
Posted From: 24.57.224.220
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have taken apart corny keg quick disconnects on a few occasions and never found any problems. Yes, there is some beer aroma, but I've not seen any mold or other gunk that would give me cause for alarm. As for cleaning the keg poppets, I will disassemble them every few fills. Again I've never seen anything that appeared unsanitary. I'm rather stringent about cleaning the kegs themselves very soon after they run out. I scrub them well and use CO2 to force hot cleaning solution and rinse water through the poppets, and I rinse once again and sanitize prior to filling. I've never had a contaminated keg as far as I could tell.

Joakim Ruud
Advanced Member

Post Number: 751
Posted From: 85.166.4.218
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It seems that every time I dissasemble my kegs, there is a slight residue around the o-rings on the dip tubes. Don't think I'll stop being anal about them anytime soon :-)
-Hobbes, Leviathan

Roger
Intermediate Member
Username: Roger456

Post Number: 352
Posted From: 64.142.50.192
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I dry hop almost all of my beers. I disassemble the whole keg for cleaning, and I often notice hop matter in the poppets.

Tom Gardner
Advanced Member
Username: Tom

Post Number: 989
Posted From: 162.119.232.100
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Me too!

Steve Funk
Intermediate Member
Username: Tundra45

Post Number: 352
Posted From: 209.216.175.114
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also completely disassemble my corny kegs every time when cleaning. Run a brush down the dip tubes as well. I can inspect all the o-rings and apply a little keg lube on them while I'm at it. SOP for me.

Joakim Ruud
Advanced Member

Post Number: 752
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is this "keg lube" I keep hearing about? Is it lubrication for the O-rings?
-Hobbes, Leviathan

robert rulmyr
Advanced Member
Username: Wacobob

Post Number: 926
Posted From: 24.155.102.126
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 06:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, O-ring lube. Are you kidding?

Joakim Ruud
Advanced Member

Post Number: 753
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nope, never seen it here. Is it critical?
-Hobbes, Leviathan

Tim Wi
Advanced Member
Username: Riverkeeper

Post Number: 849
Posted From: 170.141.68.98
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My view is that cleaning/sanitation is one of the top tier items a brewer has in his/her complete control to quality brewing (exceptions noted). Temperature is another.

One unlooked for benefit just occured in my last brew. Split batch of 10 gallons, 1/2 got US56, 1/2 got a WLP of 833.

The US56 did the job within 5 days, the tube of WLP was obviously dead at the end of that time. I almost dumped the lager half of wort thinking there was no way I could have gone that long without tainting the wort by an airborne, even at 51 in the lagering fridge. I thought, what the hell, I've got a clean yest cake, it ought to blast right through, so, I racked the US56 batch to a carboy, then racked the "dead" 5-day old wort onto the 56 yeast cake.

Last night I kegged that "dead" batch, and you know, it was clean.

If I weren't careful with cleaning and sanitation, no doubt I would have had to dump half the original batch, as it was a blonde ale, lightly hopped.

That taught me two things.

1. my sanitation routine is pretty good
2. The first time I have ever used one of those WLP tubes without a starter (time-crunch desperate and with kids) was the only time it happened to be a dead vial, even within the best by used date.

So, I took a shortcut on the lager yeast and could have got burned if had not been for anal sanitation.

A.S. (of the mountain) SAVES THE DAY!!!!

T

Brewzz
Intermediate Member
Username: Brewzz

Post Number: 315
Posted From: 67.94.59.58
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joakim,
Keg lube is just a semi-clear food grade grease that helps keep the o-rings sealed.You should be able to get it somewhere...
Cheers,Brewzz

Cascade Beer and Rum Works
Soon to be Alamo Beer and Rum Works

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 7221
Posted From: 24.57.224.220
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not to be accused of perversion, but K-Y "personal lubricant" works in a pinch and is food safe.

(Message edited by BillPierce on June 07, 2007)

Joakim Ruud
Advanced Member

Post Number: 754
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 06:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, cool! I've sometimes had problems getting a seal with dry O-rings. I'll order some from B3.
-Hobbes, Leviathan

The Jolly Brewer

Post Number: 1639
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would Vaseline do the same thing?

Joakim Ruud
Advanced Member

Post Number: 755
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 08:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Isn't Vaseline an oil/petrochemistry product?
-Hobbes, Leviathan

The Jolly Brewer

Post Number: 1640
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 09:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes, petroleum jelly. You can use it on your body, and I'm sure I've had people say you can use it on the o rings of 5gallon plastic barrels and fermenters to create a proper seal.

Marlon Lang
Username: Marlon_lang

Post Number: 95
Posted From: 70.149.178.236
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gentlemen,
I opine that it would be better not to use petroleum jelly. Oil-based compounds, including soap or detergent, can totally wreck your foam. Do as Bill sez, or use a silicone-based compound.
Just my 2 cents from the kinder, gentler retiree.
Illegitimi non carborundum rectum

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 2783
Posted From: 208.49.148.10
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 09:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ugh, petroleum jelly will work but it will degrade the rubber O-rings. Same reason you're not supposed to use it with condoms. Just less severe consequences with the O-rings

Keg lube is a silicone grease.

Bob Wall
Advanced Member
Username: Brewdudebob

Post Number: 817
Posted From: 139.76.128.71
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So now I know of 2 uses for K-Y jelly.
"If ignorance is bliss, this lesson would appear to be a deliberate attempt on your part to deprive me of happiness, the pursuit of which is my unalienable right according to the Declaration of Independence. I therefore assert my patriotic prerogative not to know this material. I'll be out on the playground."
-- Calvin

Tom Meier
Advanced Member
Username: Brewdawg96

Post Number: 593
Posted From: 74.241.132.29
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 04:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh man. I can see it now; down to just a bit in the tube..

"Sorry honey, it'll have to wait.. I've got a leaky lid on my rye pale that won't seal"

Hallertauer
Intermediate Member
Username: Hallertauer

Post Number: 472
Posted From: 204.104.55.243
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

**Ugh, petroleum jelly will work but it will degrade the rubber O-rings. Same reason you're not supposed to use it with condoms.**

So can I use keg lube on my condoms?

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 2784
Posted From: 208.49.148.10
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"So can I use keg lube on my condoms?"

It's food grade

Not sure what other grades it is though....