Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2007 * Archive through August 04, 2007 * Storing StarSan in a corny keg? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Steve Pierson
Intermediate Member
Username: Stevepierson

Post Number: 310
Posted From: 66.162.131.35
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 04:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it ok to store StarSan in a corny keg? The tech sheet on the Five Star website does not have any information on recommended storage containers. Thanks for your advise.
None of us knows more than all of us. - Bill Herzog

Skotrat
Username: Skotrat

Post Number: 54
Posted From: 24.60.78.162
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 05:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I questioned 5 star about this I received a response that was along the lines of: "as long as the diluted starsan does not become cloudy it is still viable"

I was told that storage in a SS vessel was alright but to avoid long term contact with copper.
Support the HBD
Skotrats Homebrew Site
BrewRats Homebrew Club
Skotrats HomeBrew BBS

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 2814
Posted From: 208.49.148.10
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"but to avoid long term contact with copper."

It's a good way to shine up a IC that's oxidized. But the StarSan turns green and thrown away after using it for that.

Bob Wall
Advanced Member
Username: Brewdudebob

Post Number: 978
Posted From: 139.76.128.71
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you mix 1 ounce to 5 gallons, as per the instructions, I can't imagine how it could be harmful to a corny even long-term. But I store my empty cornys on a shelf, so I don't want to have them filled.

You may consider filling a corny with StarSan overnight, then using CO2 to push it out (or into another corny). The few resudial drops shouldn't harm the stainless.
"If ignorance is bliss, this lesson would appear to be a deliberate attempt on your part to deprive me of happiness, the pursuit of which is my unalienable right according to the Declaration of Independence. I therefore assert my patriotic prerogative not to know this material. I'll be out on the playground."
-- Calvin

Skotrat
Username: Skotrat

Post Number: 62
Posted From: 24.60.78.162
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I keep a single 3 or 5 gallon corny of StarSan around pretty much always...

Never know when I will need to sanitize something
Support the HBD
Skotrats Homebrew Site
BrewRats Homebrew Club
Skotrats HomeBrew BBS

Tim Wi
Advanced Member
Username: Riverkeeper

Post Number: 904
Posted From: 24.158.157.254
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, I believe it is ok to store it long term. But I don't know for a fact if it is.

The reason I believe this is that I read some info about re-passivating stainless steel, which is done with a strong nitric acid. I figured a week phosphoric acid would work also, it would just require more time.

SO, I left some old star san at the working solution of 1 oz./5 gallons for about a week in two of my brew kettles that I had recently had couplings welded into.

It worked. I'm thinking it actually repassivated the steel.

Also, Star San is composed of active ingredients that are approved by the FDA as a no-rinse sanitizer in food processing equipment. Specifically mentioned is its use in dairies. The processing equipment is stainless steel. I reason that a no-rinse sanitizer approved for food processing stainless steel would not corrode the steel.

Is there a metalurgist in the house?

Tim

Mike Mayer
Advanced Member
Username: Mmayer

Post Number: 775
Posted From: 68.76.98.120
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I routinely keep star san in my corny's for many months. I can say with confidence that it does no harm.

PaulK
Advanced Member
Username: Paulk

Post Number: 658
Posted From: 68.84.198.40
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 01:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's John Palmer's words on this topic:

http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=46042&st=15&p=528682&#entry528682

Steve Pierson
Intermediate Member
Username: Stevepierson

Post Number: 311
Posted From: 70.58.58.189
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 01:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, all. Seems that it is certainly safe for a week or two. I need to brew more so that each keg never has the StarSan in it for more than a couple of weeks. Yeah ... that's the plan ...
None of us knows more than all of us. - Bill Herzog

Tim Wi
Advanced Member
Username: Riverkeeper

Post Number: 905
Posted From: 24.158.157.254
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 01:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks PaulK, that's good info.

T

Destroyer
Username: Destroyer

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 68.36.6.194
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's awesome. I also store my kegs upside down and open, despite the spiders... And after two years, there were quite a few. Now I feel like I have 'expert' advice to do that.