Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2007 * Archive through September 25, 2007 * Taurus hops < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Hallertauer
Intermediate Member
Username: Hallertauer

Post Number: 480
Posted From: 204.104.55.242
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I just harvested a kilo and a half of Taurus hops. I've been trying to find out some of the characteristics of these hops but can't seem to find much info. You can't even buy them at more beer or nothern brewer and a search of this site turned up nothing. Is this hop becoming extinct? Has anyone brewed with it? All I really know is that it is a bitter hop and has an alpha of about 12%. I want to brew a harvest ale with this and use my home grown tettanger and herbrucker for aroma.

TIA

Troglodyte
Username: Troglodyte

Post Number: 124
Posted From: 72.75.118.32
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have no experience with Taurus, but since I'd never heard of them I did some googling. It appears to be a high alpha acid bittering hop grown in Germany for use in hop extracts. If this is the case, is it reasonable to assume it provides a fairly neutral bitterness?

Hallertauer
Intermediate Member
Username: Hallertauer

Post Number: 481
Posted From: 204.104.55.242
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 09:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK thanks trog,

I found this on Skot's web site. Looks like it's a high alph hallertauer variety. In any case I'm gonna guess them to be 13% alpha and brew up a 32 IBU beer with'em in 2 weeks.

German Hallertauer Taurus
Bred at the Institute for Hop research in Hüll and registered in Spring 1995

Characteristics
Aroma:
Cone Structure: Oval, medium-sized, plenty of scales
Lupulin:

Growth & Harvest Information
Growth Habit: Cylindrical to pryramidal compact plant with low lateral arms, does not form a head
Maturity: Late, similar to Hersbrucker Spät
Yield: 2,000 - 2,250 kg./ha.
Pickability:
Drying and Baling:
Storageability:
Disease Reaction: Partly resistant to peronospora and verticillium will, prone to fuscarium and mildew

Acid Composition
Alpha Acid: 12.0 - 15.0% w/w
Beta Acids: 4.0 - 5.0% w/w
Co-Humulone: 23 - 25% of alpha acids

Oil Composition
Total Oil: 1.2 - 1.6 mls/100 grams
Myrcene: 25 - 35% of total oil
Humulene: 25 - 30% of total oil
Caryophyllene: 6 - 10.% of total oil
Farnesene: <1% of total oil

General Trade Perception
Recently released German high-alpha variety with a very promising first impression