Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * The Brewer's Kitchen * An awesome porter/stout Irish Stew recipe < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

JT
Intermediate Member
Username: Jt100

Post Number: 290
Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 02:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you like Irish stew, this ones a good one!! You can use lamb to be authentic, but I prefer beef.

2 tablespoons olive oil (enough to coat the skillet)
3 bay leaves
2 lbs beef stew meat/lamb cut into 1" chunks
1 large yellow onion, peeled,cut in 1/4's 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 large potato cut into chunks
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
2-3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup beef stock
1 cup homebrewed Stout or Porter
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
1/2 lb carrots, sliced
salt and black pepper, freshly ground

4-6 servings
1. Coat the meat with 1/4 cup or so of flour and set aside
2. In an iron skillet or sauce pan add the oil and bay leaves on a stove set to medium high.
3. Cook the bay leaves for 30 sec or so and then add the meat. Brown the meat on all sides until golden brown. Add more olive oil if it becomes too dry.
4. Remove the meat/bay leaves and place in a bowl
5. Add the onion to the skillet and cook for a few minutes until soft. Add a pinch of kosher salt and coursley ground pepper. Add more olive oil if needed.
6. Add the garlic and cook one more minute
7. Dump the meat,bay leaves, onions and garlic into a crockpot (set on low heat) and add the thyme, rosemary and 2-3 tbls flour, stir until well mixed.
8. Add the stout/porter and remaining ingredients stir and cover.
9. Let simmer for at least 4 hours or even all day.
10. Add salt and pepper to taste before serving.
Serve with a big slice of crusty bread topped with roasted garlic and of course your favorite stout or porter.
Enjoy!!

(Message edited by jt100 on December 09, 2004)

(Message edited by jt100 on December 09, 2004)

Patrick C.
Username: Patrickc

Post Number: 223
Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks very similar to my 'award winning' Irish stew from last year's Chili/Stew Cook-off at work. I also threw in some pearled barley, and then had to add more stout to compensate for all the liquid the barley soaked up.

Busted Still Brewery
Advanced Member
Username: Brewlabs

Post Number: 536
Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 11:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wow! that's looks delicious!

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 2546
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 12:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am to receive several pounds of Rocky Mountain Bighorn ewe meat, of which I was a dragger for last month. This recipe will be a good use of that meat.

JT
Intermediate Member
Username: Jt100

Post Number: 293
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 01:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Patrick,
Barley would make a nice addition. I'll try it next time.

ELK
Username: Elkski

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like the perfect thing for some Elk stew meat I cut up...I do hate to waste beer? But ok.
Chumley, you didn't drag it did you? I carry all my meat anymore.

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 2557
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We drug it maybe 50 yards up a hill. Then we loaded it on an ATV.

Jeffery Swearengin
Advanced Member
Username: Beertracker

Post Number: 588
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now we know how far you dragged it, but I'm curious how many beers it took you guys?
CHEERS! Beertracker

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world." ~ Saint Arnold of Metz (580-640) - Patron Saint of Brewers

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: