Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * The Brewer's Kitchen * Kalops < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 2574
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a favorite recipe this time of year. Kalops is a Swedish beef stew. I have adapted my grandmother's recipe with American ingredients (venison and beer). Last night I made 10 lbs. of this stuff.

2 lbs. venison, cut into 1/2 - 1 inch cubes (I used elk meat)
flour seasoned with salt and white pepper
butter
1 yellow onion, chopped
can of beef broth
12 oz. of mild (not hoppy) dark beer - mild, vienna, brown ale all work well, but a coffee porter is the best
6 oz. cup of coffee (if not using coffee porter)
dozen or so allspice berries
bay leaf

Cut the venison or beef up into stewing chunks and cover with seasoned flour. Brown in butter with a little oil added to it to keep the butter from burning. Remove the browned meat and place into a casserole. Cook the onion till trnaslucent, and add that to the casserole. Deglaze the pan drippings with the beef broth and add that to the casserole. Add the allspice, bay leaf, beer, until the liquid level reaches the top of the meat. Add coffee (preferred) or water as make up liquid. Bake covered at 350F for 1.5 - 2 hours or until the liquid has reduced to form a gravy. Serve with steamed rice or boiled potatoes.

The allspice gives this dish an awesome flavor. All you deer hunters out there, this is a killer recipe for the hams of your buck.

Marlon Lang
Intermediate Member
Username: Marlonlang

Post Number: 418
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chumley,
I was helping my neighbor skin a white tail doe Sunday and I asked him why he didn't bother with the neck meat. He said it was tough and stringy. Monday, I mentioned this to a co-worker who also regurally kills Bambi and he said that he cleans the neck as a whole piece and cooks it as a roast. Your technique? Would neck meat work in your recipe, also? In chili?

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 2578
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 12:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marlon,
I usually cut the neck meat and put it in the grinding pile for burger/sausage. For deer, I usually grind all of the shoulder meat as well. A coarse grind makes for excellent chili. For the recipe above, though, I would stick with the hams (round steak and roast cuts) and cut it into stewing meat cubes.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: