Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * The Brewer's Kitchen * Introduction < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Joakim Ruud
Username: Joques

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I thought I'd introduce myself as a new member to this forum.

I'm Norwegian, 32 years of age and have been brewing for about 2,5 years now. Starting to get in the swing of things, though I still make embarassing newbie mistakes.

Preferances in beer: Just about anything, I even reckon american macrolagers can taste good if the weather's hot and the beer is cold. British pale ales are my favourite though, and they are also incidentally my nemesis. I just can't seem to ever brew them right, sigh.

Joques

Joakim Ruud

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops, posted in the wrong section. Sorry bout that!

Patrick C.
Intermediate Member
Username: Patrickc

Post Number: 433
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No problem, it still shows up on the "Last Day" page. Welcome to the board!

Mark Bushey
Username: Spiff95

Post Number: 152
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 04:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Joakim,

You came to the right place, if not the right discussion!
There are a LOT of really knowledgeable folks here that can help you refine your technique, and everybody is pretty friendly.

Welcome to the B&V!
Mark
--Artificial Intelligence is no match for Organic Stupidity.

Joakim Ruud

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 04:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, I'm looking forward to it!

Fredrik
Username: Fredrik

Post Number: 2661
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 05:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome Joakim :-) I think we have seen each other on the swedish list, right?

This is a really good place to learn with high activity.

I noticed your last mail about the wit effiency. Some details were missing, but as I understood you did a 50C rest on the pilsnermalt only, not the wheat? I would've done the low rest on all of it.

About the pregelatnization I never time it. You can see when it's done, like when you cook a sauce. I like to use flour for that, I don't know how well crushed yours was?

/Fredrik

Joakim Ruud

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 06:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Huh, Fredrik, your message appeared in my mailbox too. How odd!

Anyway, yes, my attempted wit was a disaster, sporting a whopping 31 OG. I never even bothered to pitch my carefully cultivated yeast, saving it instead for today, when I will make another try. I will try cooling the gelatinized wheat and adding it to the protein rest, and also extend the mash time drastically so the poor enzymes can do their job properly.

Joakim

Fredrik
Username: Fredrik

Post Number: 2662
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 07:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello :-)

I never tried as much as 50% unmaltead wheat myself, but I think the beta-gluanase action (apart fomr the protease) is one of the big points to easy up the glue.

Before i cool the pregelled stuff I add some powdered pilsnermalt or amylase powder in the pot, and let it sit at 70C for a while, it reduces viscosity, and probably prevents and gluing or recrystallization. Then having a fine gravy, add it to your low temp mash 40-50.

If I were you I'd mill the wheat to powder ior a fine crush to make it easier.

In case of large amounts perhaps some pilsner malt prior to boil may help too to reduce the viscosity by splitting the starch. but for the small amounts I work on tihs is isn't necessary, I use enough water.

Pure amylase powder is very neat too, you can buy it in powder. I used that to mash unmalted flour w/o malt and it worked very well, though the fermentability is limited due to missing Beta amyalse.

/Fredrik

Joakim Ruud

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 08:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whoops, I replied to the email notification that I got, but I now see that the mail didn't go to you, but to the side admin. Like I said: I'm prone to silly newbie mistales

Re: adding pilsner malt at 70 degrees, I hadn't thought about viscosity. I presumed I could just cool the wheat porridge to 50 degreees, but now I see that might cause it to become "glue".

I've already concluded that the precrushed wheat I bought, probably isn't crushed finely enough. I will mill it myself.

Re: what you said about adding pilsner malt prior to boil: Someone on the Norwegian mailing list advised me to add some pilsner malt (10 %) to the wheat before the boil, and keep it at 50 degrees for 20 minutes, and then boil it. All before adding the wheat to the mash tun. Might this have the same effect as adding powdered malt before cooling? Might I then also mash the bulk of the pilsner separately at 50 degrees, and only add the wheat for the saccharinification (sp??) rest? It seems easier, since I wouldn't have to cool the wheat porridge as much.

(I'm not sure if that last paragraph was coherent or readable )

Joakim.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: