Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * The Brewer's Kitchen * Killer beans recipe, anyone? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 7383
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone care to share a killer recipe for beans to be served as a side with barbecue?

Skotrat
Username: Skotrat

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill,

One of the Rats brought the best beans that I have ever had to RatFest a couple years ago. I am sure that others that post here that were at fest will agree.

http://www.skotrat.com/skotrat/webboard/viewtopic.php?p=735#735
Support the HBD
Skotrats Homebrew Site
BrewRats Homebrew Club
Skotrats HomeBrew BBS

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 7386
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks much, Scott.

Connie
Username: Connie

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've gotten into the BBQ thing lately and found this recipe to be a family favorite. Great with pulled pork and ribs...or about anything from the grill. (thanks to Jan)

Cowboy Beans, ver. 2.0

24 servings
Total time: 3 days

2 pounds dried pinto beans, rinsed
2 large pieces of smoked turkey
(wing drummettes are best)
2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 medium onion, chopped and sautéed in butter
2 stalks celery, diced and sautéed with onions in butter
2-3 fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro (about 1/3 bunch)
3-4 Tablespoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce

Rinse dried pinto beans. Remove any damaged or discolored ones. In a large pot or bowl, cover the pinto beans with cold water and soak overnight. Drain beans. Place in large crock pot with fresh water to cover by 1 inch. Cook on low setting all day. Add smoked turkey pieces and continue to cook on low overnight. Next morning remove turkey pieces from pot, remove bones and chop meat. Return turkey meat to pot. Sauté chopped onion, diced celery and garlic in 1-2 tablespoons butter. When tender, add garlic-celery-onion mix to beans. Add chopped tomatoes and bay leaf. Continue to cook on low setting. When beans are perfectly tender, add the Worcestershire sauce, cilantro, and chipotle puree.
Cook all day, stirring occasionally and adding water only if necessary.

Note: if you don’t use the smoked turkey pieces, you may have to add salt to taste.
==========================================
Optional for hard-core carnivores: 1/2 pound chorizo, casing removed
5 to 6 slices smoked bacon, chopped

In a sauté pan over medium heat, cook the chorizo, bacon and onion, stirring occasionally to break up the chorizo, until the bacon is crispy, about 10 minutes. Add to the bean pot at the same time as the onions.

7/7/2007

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 7394
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I made Scott's bean recipe last night and took it to a potluck barbecue today. It was a real hit, with just the right amount of "heat" courtesy of crushed cayenne pepper and cumin. My own inclination would be to cut the brown sugar in half; it was a little on the sweet side.

Connie
Username: Connie

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 01:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, his recipe sounds good, but that one pound of brown sugar is a little out of prorportion for me.
This "Cowboy Beans" recipe has been a big hit for me, just add BBQ & beer :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: