Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * The Brewer's Kitchen * Soliciting Rib Recipes/ Secrets < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

dhacker
Username: Dhacker

Post Number: 1405
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Surprisingly, there are none in this section yet . . .

My mind can't stop obsessing on those ribs I had at Calhoun's. I've made ribs, that taste good, have tried numerous methods and recipes, but seem to have difficulty get the tender, fall off the bone character. Is it necessary to pressure cook them first, or is it a function of long, slow, low temp smoking? Wet or dry?

I know one of you guys has the answer!

With warm weather, Memorial Day and July 4th right around the corner, I MUST HAVE SOME MORE RIBS!

Merle
Username: Merle

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My wife cooks baby backs in the oven, double wrapped in foil with a generous amount of BBQ sauce. I would guess 250-275 for two hours. They are like meat sickle, cut'em with fork, fall off the bone good.

Upon further inquiries, the Missus says puts the ribs wrapped in foil in a pan with a quart of water and lets them cook at 275 for three to four hours. She says it works well with pork or beef ribs.

(Message edited by Merle on April 21, 2008)

dhacker

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Merle,

Am I understanding correctly that the ribs themselves aren't actully in contact with the water in the pan, just the foil they are wrapped in?

Merle

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes that's correct.

Merle

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 05:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes that's correct. Just keep the bottom of the pan covered with water

Connie
Username: Connie

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Hacker,
I think the key to fall off the bone tender is the time in tin foil. One book calls for 3-2-1 cooking. Whereas you cook at 225 indirect heat for 3 hours, wrap in foil and cook for 2 hours, unwrap and cook an additional hour...all at 225 and indirect heat-mop/dry rub, your choice-. I've found that's a little long for my setup. Last time I did 1 1/2-1 1/2-1 hours at 225 indirect heat lump charcoal and hickory wood. That worked pretty well for me. (spare ribs st. louis style)
I have a modified older offset smoker from craigslist. See a picture of it a few threads below "buying a smoker" or something along that line~
What kind of cooking device are you using? BBQ Galore has a pretty good off set smoker $225

dhacker

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 09:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What kind of cooking device are you using?

Connie, I think therein lies the problem. I have two grills . . . The compulsory propane grill with lava rock for steaks and other quick turnaround grilled meats, and the venerable Weber charcoal. I imagine I would need a true smoker to accomplish what you're talking about.

Connie

Post Number: 1194
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree. I have four. You are missing the dedicated fish smoker and the true BBQ smoker.
Keep an eye on Craigslist.com///outintheboondocks and eBay for a deal...wish you were closer, I have passed a few at yard sales

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 5398
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 03:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have never tried this foil method, nor even heard of it....interesting.

I have one of those Brinkmann water smokers, that steams and smokes the rack of ribs at the same time. I like to fill the water pan with half water/half raspberry lambic, and use blocks of hickory. A dry rub on the ribs overnight, and start to smoke them at noon. About 6:00 p.m. they come out perfect....falling off the bones tender, nice and smokey.

dhacker

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As a matter of fact, I was looking at one of the Brinkmann's y-day.

Over a 6 hr. period, how much do you have to fuss with the fire/temp?

dhacker

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am also in the first stages of coveting this one, too . . .

http://www.tejassmokers.com/products/2040det.htm

Connie

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...Tejas Smokers model 2040 bbq smoker pit
Wow, I like it. $$$

Skotrat
Advanced Member
Username: Skotrat

Post Number: 671
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hmmm

Personally I would not boil the ribs beforehand. Nor would I ever put any meat that goes into the smoker in tinfoil.

Why par boil something that you spent that much time on.

If you like your ribs wet then rub them with a little oil, salt and pepper and stick them into a smoker that is pre-heated from 225f-275f (depending on the cooktime that you like)

Always put the fat side up.

About 10 minutes before serving time go ahead and flip them.

Then slather them with your Q sauce.

If you are a dry rub rib fan then just use the the above with your favorite rub minus the Q sauce.

When it comes to Dry Rubs... Nothing beats John Henry rubs

Connie

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/index.php?showtopic=1815

Paul Hayslett
Username: Paulhayslett

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dry rub with a mix of salt, black pepper, cumin, thyme, and sage. Then smoke/cook at 225F for 5 - 6 hrs. If anyone wants to ruin their ribs with sauce, give them some to dip in at the table. No need to ruin the whole rack just because a few (mumble mumble) prefer the taste of sauce to the sublime taste of pork.

Skotrat
Advanced Member

Post Number: 672
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree 100% Paul

Merle

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Iím on a low sodium diet and my wife doesnít care for pepper of any kind. That doesnít leave very many ways to spice up a rib. I agree with you guys about wrapping in foil if your going in a smoker or over coals, but my wifeís method of cooking goes in the oven. Water never touches the meat. Maybe this is sacrilege to the BBQ gods but it does make for tender ribs and that was dhackerís original inquiry. If you like sauce add sauce, if not then donít.

dhacker

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One more question . . will any hardwood work?

I know hickory and mesquite have a reputation as the preferred woods, but if maple or oak can be used . . well then, I have a limitless supply.

Skotrat
Advanced Member

Post Number: 688
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not fond of Maple.

Oak works very well.

I also love Pecan, Plum, Cherry and Apple (although... are any of those hardwoods?)

Pecan, Plum, Cherry and Apple cannot be beat for poultry and seafood

Connie

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pecan is considered a hardwood.

dhacker

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent!

If oak will work, my best guess is that, if I smoke meat everyday, I will exhaust my smoking wood supply in the year 2525.

Bill Walton
Username: Vladie

Post Number: 225
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let me know the next time you are going to be in Knoxville and I will show you the real best ribs in town. Calhoun's ribs are tasty, and I have been known to partake of a rack or two in my time, but nothing beats a great roadside stand. Might have to get there early though to make sure they don't run out of food; its that kind of place.

BW

dhacker

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BW . .

Will do . . .

The Jolly Brewer
Username: Matfink

Post Number: 2010
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

mmmmmmm ribs

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: