Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * The Brewer's Kitchen * Classic Pot Rost < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

David Birdwell (dyn1-133.offsys.ou.edu - 129.15.17.133)
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Make this to go with your porter, scotch ale or other heavy favorite on a cold day.

Ingredients: (scale this how you want, this one is
big!)

1 Boneless Chuck Roast 3lbs
2 lbs Baby Carrots
3lbs Gold Potatoes
1 Large Sweet Yellow Onion
2 cans Campbell's Beef Broth
1 Box Dried Onion Soup Mix
1/3 Stick Butter
Pepper Mill (Freshly Ground Is A Must)

Large pot that is oven-safe

OK, this is so easy, Open the two packages of onion soup mix and rub them right on the meat. Add some fresh cracked pepper to the rub. This doesn't have to be evenly covered or anything, just try to get some of the seasoning and dry onions to stick to the roast, the rest can just be dumped on top. Heat the butter in your pot on a fairly high setting. Dump the onion-covered roast in the pot and sear the meat for a few minutes on each side trying to get as much of the loose onion soup as possible to encrust the two sides of the roast. RDWHAHB. Heat the oven to 350*. Add the two cans beef broth to the pot and enough hot water to nearly cover the meat. Crack some fresh pepper on top of all this. Cover with a lid and place in the oven for about two hours. Have a few dark beers and watch a christmas movie. After about two hours, remove the pot from the oven and add the carrots, onion (in strips), and large chunks of potato; layer them into the pot. Crack pepper over this, re-cover and place back in the oven for 30-45 minutes or until you can smell the carrots.

Remove when veggies are done to your liking and serve.

If you like, the broth from this makes awesome gravy. Take some of the juices and heat them to boiling or therabouts in a small pan. Add a little milk with some flour suspended in it (stir this very well). Stir the mixture as it boils for a few minutes and it will thicken. When desired thickness is reached, remove from heat and spoon over roast and veggies.

This is great with sweet cornbread. Just make a box of jiffy cornbread and add about 3/4 cup of brown sugar or some honey.

This roast keeps VERY well and can be eaten over a couple week period if refrigirated. After reheating it a time or two the meat and veggies will begin to fall apart. This is when you turn it into stew. Add some of the milk/flour mixture to the whole pot and stir well over heat to make some super stew.

If you want, you can season things differently, this is just the classic pot roast. It is also good with garlic, red pepper, or even dark beer instead of water with the beef broth.

This recipe makes your whole house smell great, I love coming in from a cold day and encountering the rich, warming smell of a nice pot roast. There's something nostalgic about it.

Enjoy, and if you try it, let me know. I think I'll periodically add new cold weather recipes as I get to them.

Dave

Ginger Larson (64-66-217-171.stkn.bigvalley.net - 64.66.217.171)
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2001 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave - We do a version of this pot roast. It's one of the reasons I anticipate fall. Mine uses condensed mushroom soup instead of beef broth, and I add a bottle of Guinness and a cup or so of port. I start by sticking garlic slivers all over the roast, then I put it into one of those baking bags in a 9x13 pan. Sprinkle one envelope of onion soup over the roast, then spoon a can of the mushroom soup over. Throw in the veggies, sprinkle another onion soup packet, add another can of soup, the Guinness and the port. Tie up the bag, throw it in a 350 oven for about 3 hours and leave the house because it smells so good.

Spratt (pppa92-resalebentonharbor1-5r7019.dialinx.net - 4.4.39.249)
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2001 - 11:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Speaking of super-stew........

Does anyone have a venison stew recipe for deer season?????

Steve

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: