Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2008 * Archive through January 31, 2008 * Opinions wanted < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 8397
Posted From: 24.57.225.170
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 05:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Among the issues raised in the long thread titled "HBD News" is one about the occasional brushfires that erupt on the board over individual personalities. The personal sniping and name-calling have caused a number of members to depart (I have had more than a few personal e-mails confirming this). However, a couple of other people point to the suppression of these disputes as a reason for the decline in overall participation. Their claim is that the bickering actually stimulates people to post.

I have tended to side with those who are tired of the personal attacks, believing they have no place in a public forum conducted by adults. As I have pointed out, there has been behavior that I believe most of us wouldn't tolerate in 12-year-olds. But I also have a long history of believing in civil liberties, and censorship disturbs me highly. I don't take kindly to acting the role of middle school principal. There is a reason I teach adults rather than adolescents.

Ryan Messenger (I'm giving him credit rather than singling out any individual for criticism) posed an interesting solution: rather than delete questionable posts, we should create a separate section of the board where they would be moved. Anyone accessing this section would first be presented with a banner noting that the tone and opinions expressed there might very likely be considered obnoxious and offensive, and that by proceeding they were agreeing to be exposed to this.

Another suggestion was to name the section "Liza'a Room" after a certain individual who has been banned from board access. Half in jest, I proposed the name "(Un)Tranquility Base." However, after considering that I'd rather not further personalize the issue, I think a better name might be "The Rubber Room."

The section would not be quite anything-goes. The board software still prevents the use of the most truly offensive four-letter words, but almost all of us know of creative ways to subvert this. And posts that described patently illegal behavior (for example, child exploitation, just to state the obvious) or physical threats against a person would still have to be censored. Both the HBD and Pat Babcock must be legally protected.

Only one major reservation still remains in my mind. Would the creation of a "ghetto trash" section of the board merely encourage the kind of behavior it wishes to marginalize? That is, are there those whose asocial tendencies are so pronounced that they would do almost anything to push the limitations thrown in their way? Would those individuals only take this as a further challenge and make the problem worse rather than better?

Talk amongst yourself, and please, don't make me get verklempt.

Bob Wall
Username: Brewdudebob

Post Number: 1330
Posted From: 71.204.51.87
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No need to change anything. We already have "World Expressions."

As far as the guys who left because of the bickering, I've said it before and I will say it again. If they are so thin-skinned that they cannot tolerate a little bar-room banter, then I say to heck with them. This is an internet chat-room, not a college classroom. I do agree that Liza took it over the top and deserved her banishment, but those self-imposed exiles get no sympathy from me. I don't know what is more childish, the bickering, or the "I'm taking my toys and going home" mentality.

Graham Cox
Username: T2driver

Post Number: 1481
Posted From: 68.32.253.156
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill, there are plenty of venues on the internet for screaming anti-social misanthropic malcontents. While my opinion is to keep things as-is, I don't think creating a romper room amongst all the other rooms would be overly detrimental.

Steve Jones
Intermediate Member
Username: Stevej

Post Number: 427
Posted From: 164.89.253.21
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I fully agree with Bob Wall on the folks who left here because of some of the past incivility. Some here may miss them but I have no sympathy for them.

But it sounds like you're suggesting a 'room' where offensive threads can be moved, and I don't think World Expressions is the proper place. So I would agree that adding such a place could help, and certainly wouldn't hurt.

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 5256
Posted From: 63.118.227.254
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't like the suggested names....how about "chumley's fishing hole"?

dhacker
Username: Dhacker

Post Number: 1317
Posted From: 72.4.22.214
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Bob.

And while I understand what Graham is saying, how will having a separate room prevent a person, who wants to irritate and antagonize, from bringing their antics to the main room . . where it WILL cause the most irritation and antagonism. After all, isn’t that what they’re after? . .a bigger audience for their wares?

Just like big government, you can try to put band aids on everything, but then the band aids start needing band aids, and the end result is worse than the beginning.

Steve Pierson
Intermediate Member
Username: Stevepierson

Post Number: 343
Posted From: 66.162.131.35
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read some sports boards from time to time (college football, mostly). Many of these boards have a "smack talk" section. Many rude (but sometimes funny) threads start there. If discussions in the regular topic area get out of hand (bickering,name calling, etc.), the moderators move the threads to the smack board. If you don't want to see that stuff, you don't have to read it. Most of the threads seem to die fairly quickly without a large audience.

I agree with the above posts, though. If you can't take a little ribbing, or a differing opinion, (from someone you don't even know, in many cases), the Intarweb is not the place for you. I just ignore the rude and childish behavior and get what I can from the information I read here and on other boards.

Dick the Brewzzer
Username: Brewzzer

Post Number: 78
Posted From: 68.42.203.208
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill,

Remember the "star" system? We had it, abused it,and you took it away. Then many people begged for it's return and you returned it. Again, we had it, abused it, and you took it away. Your idea for a rubber room is nothing more than a glorified star system. One big difference, though. At least the star system was anonymous.
Why are you trying to establish a room for bad boys? You'll really never get a grip on it until you accept the fact that alcohol turns many people into 12 year olds. Accept it.

Let the Liza thing die once and for all. She's not here to defend herself against the 12 year olds.

Dan Listermann
Username: Listermann

Post Number: 5253
Posted From: 216.23.55.202
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would be all for such a room so long as it did not appear here and thus be easily ignored.

Skotrat
Advanced Member
Username: Skotrat

Post Number: 523
Posted From: 75.67.98.168
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That room already exists...

It is called "World Expressions"

Little Dipper
Intermediate Member
Username: Littledipper

Post Number: 345
Posted From: 206.114.61.199
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't like the idea of another 'room' either. A lot of the threads that the childishness start up in have a lot of good information in them, still. I'd hate to lose out on any good conversation that happened before the mouthing off began.

I for one can't stand the childish potshots either, but I've learned to ignore it.

Paul Hayslett
Username: Paulhayslett

Post Number: 1529
Posted From: 71.234.46.245
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 07:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To say, "If they can't take a little ribbing, the heck with them" is just too simplistic. There are no all-or-nothing options on the table. It's a matter of choosing a point along a continuum between free-for-all and Miss Manners, and, when necessary, making small adjustments one way or another. Of course, no one point will be acceptable for all board members and some people will feel alienated enough to leave no matter which point is chosen. The key is choosing a point at which the maximum number of members feel comfortable posting and reading.

The out-and-out sociopaths are not really the difficult cases. They are easy to spot and hard to defend. Almost no one wants Liza back, nor bd(tm) nor some of the others from the past. I'm sure the urge to ban them is not universal. But for every 1 who wants them back there are probably 10 who want them to stay gone.

The much harder choices lie in where to draw the line on some of the old battles which have been fought and re-fought for so long we're all sick of them. When the top 3 or 4 threads are all stuffed with "I know you are, but what am I?", people stop reading. It's not a matter of a few thin-skinned people feeling insulted; it's a matter of a whole lot of bystanders feeling bored and turned off. But a complete clampdown on bickering would destroy the board entirely.

Personally, I think things have been great lately and see no reason to change them. The sociopaths are gone and most of the useless bickering has died down. New members are showing up and old ones are returning. Don't mess with success. If things get ugly again, we can revisit all the options.

In the meantime, I urge everyone to go easy on the moderators. It's tough knowing when to step in and we can't always expect them to get it "right" in our eyes.

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 3038
Posted From: 74.7.7.66
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 07:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SMACK DOWN BREWING!!

Would smack talk be too similar to Tech Talk?

Actually things have been fine here lately. And I agree with Bob and others on the easily offended. They need to go hang out at the forum that Richard's on and grow a skin. Although that's going to be a moving target I'd bet.

Mike A.
Intermediate Member
Username: Mike_a

Post Number: 414
Posted From: 128.173.15.155
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wouldn't mind seeing threads that have a higher noise to signal ratio moved to World Expressions, although it hasn't really happened lately.

gregory gettman
Advanced Member
Username: Gregman

Post Number: 627
Posted From: 70.235.80.97
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 07:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Personally I think a time out room could help. But I don't think things have been as bad as in years gone by.

If a thread gets out of hand I just stop reading it. Since the original question "about beer" is no longer talked about anyway. What joy or interest is there in seeing people turn Brews and views into a Jerry Springer show?

However sometimes people have a thin skin to others posts. We all can lighten up, this is beer after all were talking about.......

"Humor distorts nothing, and only false gods are laughed off their earthly pedestals"
Agnes Repplier

Dave Buchter
Username: Rutherford420

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 69.117.223.197
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 08:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some random thoughts, in no particular order:

I used to frequent a rock climbing board that had an "(Almost) Anything goes" room. While I would read the rest of the board religiously, I rarely entered that room. There was rarely anything of value to be found there. So, I'm not sure adding another room would benefit the rest of us. OTOH, a "gripe room" might not be a bad idea: let folks get things off their chest away from the 'useful' posting that goes on here.

Like Gregman said above, if a post gets ridiculous I, too, stop reading, mostly because by then, the useful info has already been disseminated.

I often laugh at those who would leave a discussion board because they were offended by others posts. This is text; it's difficult, if not impossible to glean every nuanced intent from text. Case in point: A very good friend of mine constantly 'texts' his girlfriend all day long. Nearly every day, they argue. At every opportunity, I will tell him not to fight via text, but just call her. In every case, she/he misinterpreted what the other wrote, and the issue is solved. We don't have the luxury of calling each other to confirm/clarify our posts, or our reading of another's post (Anyone here Skype?) and all it takes is one person to get offended, another to respond w/o thinking and the post degrades into a flame war.

Some ribbing, etc., I think is inevitable. It's a rare conversation between my friends and I that doesn't involve some sort of rib-poking; I wouldn't expect it to be very different on a board.

Deciding when to move a post to "the rubber room", (or, for Chumley "The Chum Bucket"), is tricky business. I've never moderated a board, but I imagine weeding thru thousands of garbage posts to find the wee nuggets of gold doesn't seem like fun; less fun than a triple decoction mash, even!

Someone mentioned, in a recent 'welcome' thread, that this is the most cerebral beer board on the net. I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. It's why I now read this board as religiously as I used to read the climbing board.

I've seen some BBS software that allows every user to set up their own 'homepage', that is, only the topics you select would appear on your home page. I'm thinking here of Dan's comment about not seeing the "bad boy" room.

Hophead
Username: Hophead

Post Number: 2694
Posted From: 167.4.1.41
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 09:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leave as is.

As mentioned, the BS will stick wherever there is the biggest audience available.

Brewz is right on with the analogy too..

HEU Brewer
Intermediate Member
Username: Heu_brewer

Post Number: 324
Posted From: 80.78.111.41
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 09:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill

Where would you put posts by certain individuals who keep reminding us that they have a homebrew shop?

When was the "star" system abused???????
If you liked or disliked a post you voted, how was that "abused"

If you have so little self confidence that you are turned away by "1-star" posts you probably have other problems and need medication

Of course I can say this because it is 2:20 AM where I am at and I have had several Balitka's

1-star and a whirlygig for me

HEU Brewer

Edited because I can not spell this early in the AM under these conditions

(Message edited by HEU_Brewer on January 22, 2008)

Bob Wall
Username: Brewdudebob

Post Number: 1332
Posted From: 139.76.224.66
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 09:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

2:20 AM? Are you in Russia?

Paul Hayslett
Username: Paulhayslett

Post Number: 1530
Posted From: 71.234.46.245
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should clarify something: Of the 5 or 6 people who have told me why they stopped coming here, not a single one has left because he was the butt of teasing that he couldn't handle. The whole idea of thin-skinned people leaving because they can't handle some rib-poking is irrelevant.

In all the cases I know of, it was people who had nothing to do with the flame wars who just got tired of having to page down or ignore posts. It wasn't their fight and they just found it tedious and unpleasant to watch someone else's fight. So they stopped coming.

Saying someone "should" be able to take it is also not really relevant. "Should" doesn't matter. No one will ever stay here because they "should". And if too many go elsewhere, Pat is left without advertisers and the board goes dark.

At its best, this place should feel like a friendly bar. Not like a business meeting nor like a battlefield but like somewhere you enjoy spending time. Of course that means some good-natured rib-poking among friends. But it doesn't mean calling people at other tables names and mean-spiritedly poking fun at their clothes. All the rest of the patrons get tired of shouting and the fights and go elsewhere.

HEU Brewer
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 325
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 09:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

2:20 AM? Are you in Russia?

Yes my home away from home

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 5257
Posted From: 63.118.227.254
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

5 stars for HEU Brewer! Those are my sentiments exactly!

Hmmm....can't say I have ever mean-spiritedly poked fun at anyones's clothes here, although I do admit to poking at BP for using the dreaded grecian formula. And I did poke fun at one poster for thinking his pigeons were lesbians, but he seems to have a pretty thick skin.

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 8400
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HEU Brewer, do you ever have the nightmare that someday a terrible disaster, whether of natural or human origin, will ground all the world's airlines, leaving you stranded in the Russian hinterlands with all the Baltika you can drink? With your luck it will be summer and the beer will only be warm.

HEU Brewer
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 326
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In summer the beer is cold because they turn on the beer refigerators, winter the beer is warm because they use the refrigerators as insulators to keep the heat in

At least in some parts of the Urals and Western Siberia they understand that beer is supposed to be served "COLD"!!!!!

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 8401
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

More than 20 years ago I was in Poland (among many other countries) on a bicycle. The country was not unfriendly but I faced a huge language barrier and was mostly ignored. Almost everything was closed on Sundays, and on this particular day my biggest fear was that I would run out of energy because I would find no place to eat or buy food. I had 135 miles to ride in order to catch a ferry (I had booked it from Vienna weeks in advance) and leave the country for Finland.

At about 11:00 in the morning I rode into a small village dominated by a large church. Across from the church was a tavern, which was full of people who had just gotten out of Sunday Mass. They were drinking large quantities of warm (about 65 degrees) beer in bottles. I indicated that I wanted one. People made enough room so that I had a table to myself, and I bought two more, along with the only food they sold, two bags of biscuits that were sort of like animal crackers but not in animal shapes.

No one scowled at me but apparently neither did anyone speak English, so all we exchanged were occasional smiles.

After about 30 minutes I got up and left, resuming my trip. Those beers and biscuits provided enough sustenance for about six hours of riding until I was near the coast and found the unusual restaurant that was open on a Sunday.

Mike A.
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 417
Posted From: 71.171.31.26
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds wild, Bill. What happens next?

How about instead of a star voting we vote to move the thread. Seriously though, leave as is.

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 8403
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are many such tales, Mike A. In the next chapter, at the Youth Hostel in Helsinki I met a rather atypical Danish salesman of women's fashion accessories and spent several crazy days with him in Finland and Sweden, and eventually included his wife and family at home in Denmark.

But of course none of this has anything to do with issues of Brews & Views. On the basis of people's opinions expressed here (thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts) I think I'm going to leave well enough alone. I'm encouraged by the generally good behavior lately and the increase in participation. We'll deal with the bad actors as the problems occur.

Brew on!

Ted Grudzinski
Username: Tgrudzin

Post Number: 226
Posted From: 68.75.55.109
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I say, moderate the board, and like the NBA, fine ($) those who cross lines, the fines made payable to Pat Babcock to support the running of the board. Change the star system to $$$$$. Such as, this post violates the rules of the board, 1($)=1 us & now Canadian dollar. Then again, my back hurts and I am on liquid pain killers. I also think it is important that all poster have real email address, so strong topics could be taken off-line.

Tim C.
Username: Timc

Post Number: 133
Posted From: 67.149.191.46
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 02:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

".....I met a rather atypical Danish salesman of women's fashion accessories...."

I guess this is where the idea for the knee-high stockings as hop bags came from.

PalerThanAle
Username: Palerthanale

Post Number: 1712
Posted From: 69.81.43.40
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 02:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A new "room" would be as popular as the Humor Section or Miller Chill.

PTA

Dick the Brewzzer
Username: Brewzzer

Post Number: 80
Posted From: 68.42.203.208
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 03:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HEU Brewer says: When was the "star" system abused???????
If you liked or disliked a post you voted, how was that "abused"

Yes, indeed. The star system was so successful that it was cancelled twice.

a.k.a. Grog
Username: Kirktech

Post Number: 42
Posted From: 68.106.245.55
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 07:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

IMHO, you (we) have a great board here, and I see no need for a "boxing ring". Of course, I haven't been on this board very long, but I have to agree with some of the other opinions that it would simply create an audience for such behavior. If someone is spouting off simply for attention, a general lack of interest is usually enough motivation to quiet them without having to impose a reprimand.
On the other hand, if we do incorporate a new section, may I suggest the name "The Romper Room" (anyone remember that one?) to reflect it's childish nature.

dhacker
Username: Dhacker

Post Number: 1321
Posted From: 208.63.163.52
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry Grog,

Graham already beat ya with that one!

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 8406
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I'm not planning on playing "Miss Nancy" and leading everyone in the "The Do Bee Song." And somehow I suspect the language would be a little different than what was used on Romper Room.

Mike A.
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 420
Posted From: 128.173.15.155
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill, lead us all in the doobie song, pass down the left

a.k.a. Grog
Username: Kirktech

Post Number: 45
Posted From: 68.106.245.55
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 03:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

opps, my bad. I stand corrected

Tim Wi
Advanced Member
Username: Riverkeeper

Post Number: 968
Posted From: 170.141.68.2
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rubber Room sounds like a good name.

Maybe its a worth a try.

Trying it is the only way to know if its a good idea.

Tim

Cory K.
Username: Galaxy51

Post Number: 134
Posted From: 71.33.29.236
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Primarily I come to this forum for the exchange of information and ideas that I find on the topics of brewing and beer in general. Overall I have found the ratio of good info versus that of info that might be questionable to be better here than on some other forums.
Very few people post here with poor quality or false info on purpose. When someone does make a statement or asks a question that is perceived or known to be false, irrevelant, or even rediculous, the response doesn't have to be and shouldn't be as sarcastic as if its coming from a bully on a playground. After all, regardless of the size of a playground and the quantity, and quality and of its equipment, if a few bullys are allowed to intimidate others, the playground will not be utilized as much as it might be. Unfortunately someone has to monitor our "playground", and it seems Bill has done a pretty good job of doing that and has stepped in only when he feels the need to do so.
I don't think we need a seperate area where we vent our frustrations. I think we all agree that there was a problem and that we know precisely what the problem was. Hopefully we will all make efforts to contribute to this forum in a fashion that should result in reasonable harmony.

Bob G.
Intermediate Member
Username: Brewerbob

Post Number: 394
Posted From: 76.252.250.72
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 06:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheese and Crackers everyone. I've sat on the sidelines for years and have been spectator to many "smack downs, put downs, egocentric blabahthons etc.!

As the Marty Crane of Frasier fame and alas, the torch carrier of Ballantine XXX Ale, would most likely say "Can't we just talk about beer?" I've been many years out of kindergarten and yes, I have to admit, I am a one man adolescent party dude that may be a bit out of control(Bill P. can confirm as some others who post here) but, lets leave our differences at the door and embrace information, experiences and general knowledge that will ultimately lead us closer to that ever elusive pint!