Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2008 * Archive through March 30, 2008 * Fermentation Problems < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Don Carrier
Username: Don_carrier

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 203.82.126.112
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 06:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Need some help. I've been having trouble getting the wort to ferment out for the last 10 batches. It seems to be getting worse. The last batch (an all-grain Hefeweizen) had an OG of 1.054 and stopped at 1.033 using WLP300 yeast. The 10 batches have been brewed using many different yeasts, water, oxygenation, mash profiles, temperatures, and starters. I moved from Virginia to Japan and still have the problem using RO water and city water. Typically the attenuation is around 55-60%. Help.

Paul Hayslett
Username: Paulhayslett

Post Number: 1614
Posted From: 71.234.46.245
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check all your test equipment, especially if you are using a digital thermometer. Make sure they are showing reasonable values on known inputs (e.g., thermometer reads 0C in ice water, hydrometer reads 1.000 in RO water, etc.). I've had digital thermometers go haywire leading to crazy batches.

Did you check the pH of the mash? Did you test for starch at the end? Both are probably a good idea if your water has changed.

My last suggestion would be the temp of your fermenting area. Could it be too cold?

Cory K.
Username: Galaxy51

Post Number: 197
Posted From: 168.103.130.30
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 04:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul has some very good ideas. If your mash is too hot your results would be what you describe.
Mash temps that error on the cold side are much more tolerable regarding attenuation.

The starch test though, will only indicate whether or not the starches converted to sugars. It will not indicate the ratio of your mash's easily fermentable sugars to that of the less fermentable ones.