Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2008 * Archive through April 27, 2008 * Two new Brown ales < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Brewtun
Username: Brewtun1

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 65.2.106.196
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was on the road last week & came across a couple of brown ales that were new to me. Georgia Brown from Sweet Water Brewing Company was a typical citrusy hopped American style brown ale that I thought was okay but wouldn't bother buying again. I'll give them an A+ for their slogan though....."Smoother than a Bill Clinton apology".
The other from Mountaineer Brewing in West Verginia is an English style brown that I couldn't get enough of. That one was a really smooth beer that I'll be on the look out for.

dhacker
Username: Dhacker

Post Number: 1404
Posted From: 72.155.200.129
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 02:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just luv me some brown ale!

I too just got back from a road trip . . this time to Knoxville, TN.

Last night the guy I was doing an evaluation project for took me and my son to Calhoun's. Besides wrapping my palate around a rack of their incredible ribs, I had two of the micro brews they serve. The Appalachian pale ale and the (I think) Cherokee Red. They actually had 9 different micros on tap, but being a professional in front of the client, I limited myself to just two. I wish I would have subbed the red ale for the Velas Helles or the Tuckaleeche Porter, though. The Appalachian Pale Ale was good and citrusy-hoppy enough that I got to enjoy it the rest of the evening every time I burped!

But man . . I wish I could make ribs like they do.

Brewtun

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 65.11.254.220
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was about 60 miles up the pike from Knoxville in Rogersville (near the Tri-Cities). Beautiful country but hard to find a good beer.

(Message edited by brewtun1 on April 19, 2008)

Kevin Kowalczyk
Username: Itsfunbrewingbeer

Post Number: 209
Posted From: 67.167.4.225
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

....."Smoother than a Bill Clinton apology".

"I opened the beer bottle and took a sip...but I didn't swallow."

(Neither did Monica)

Connie
Username: Connie

Post Number: 1192
Posted From: 76.17.52.96
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 03:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brewtun, I once owned a house on main street in Rogersville. Nice little town.

Tom Meier
Advanced Member
Username: Brewdawg96

Post Number: 789
Posted From: 75.137.121.197
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 04:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

dhacker, I like to call that good HBF (hop burp factor). Its the gift that keeps on giving - a true sign of quality.

Best brown ale I've ever had is Indian Brown Ale from Terrapin, on tap at 2007 Music City Brewer's Festival.

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 3164
Posted From: 74.7.7.66
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Terrapin has the IBA out currently. Had a couple last weekend.

I agree on the Sweet Ga Brown. It's OK but there are so many other beers that I like better.

Steve Jones
Intermediate Member
Username: Stevej

Post Number: 480
Posted From: 164.89.253.13
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 02:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brewtun,

Rogersville is a quaint little town, but I'm quite surprised you found any craft beer there.

If you come up to this area again, go 30 miles up the road to Kingsport. Holler at me and I'll buy you a beer. Cootie Brown's is a good restaurant with a great beer selection (mostly bottles, tho). Riverfront Seafood has a pretty good selection, too.

Connie, I hope those are homebrewed Lambics in those Lindemann glasses

Brewtun

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 68.223.214.251
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve,there's a convenience store called the Warrior Drive In
1621 E Main St, Rogersville, TN that has a modest selection of Micros & imports. The owner was even willing to take special orders on any beer their distributors handled.

(Message edited by brewtun1 on April 22, 2008)

Steve Jones
Intermediate Member
Username: Stevej

Post Number: 481
Posted From: 76.7.146.246
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 02:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think we all get the same distributors East of Knoxville.

We just lost one in the Tri cities, Knoxville, and Chattanooga. This guy in Asheville, NC had a business model where he distributed in TN only, in the 3 markets mentioned. He supplied Lost Coast, Left Hand, Avery, Great Divide, Duck-Rabbit, French Broad, Thomas Creek, a few other micros, and some imports (Spaten comes to mind).

He just went under 2 weeks ago, and I got the last 2 sixers of Avery IPA last Friday.