Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2008 * Archive through July 11, 2008 * Beer and politics < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Paul Hayslett
Username: Paulhayslett

Post Number: 1675
Posted From: 71.234.46.245
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know I seem like "Mr. Link" these days, but I thought some of our US readers might find this interesting. It was in my local paper yesterday. It makes me wonder if the Democrats have just written off the Southern Baptist vote entirely.

http://tinyurl.com/6pucj8

Bob D
Username: Fl_bob

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 64.12.116.145
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the answer is obvious. Beer pong to settle once and for all who gets the nomination.

Colby Enck
Advanced Member
Username: Thecheese

Post Number: 539
Posted From: 24.229.200.120
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have "Obama's Small-Town Bitter" in the fermenter as we speak.

Dan Listermann
Username: Listermann

Post Number: 5607
Posted From: 74.215.70.152
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That vote is not really for the Democrats to lose for all sorts of reasons. The best they can hope for is to not do anything to really excite them into a bigger turnout for the Republicans.

Robert
Username: Okierat

Post Number: 169
Posted From: 32.97.110.142
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We will see how that play's out here in Oklahoma Dan. Yea, I know OK has voted Republican for as long as I can remember for as far as the president goes. But there are alot of Southern Baptists like my Grandmother who used to say "You vote Democrat and "NO" on all questions." Down in southern OK known around here as "Little Dixe" it is still very much that way.

Mike Huss
Username: Mikhu

Post Number: 1914
Posted From: 24.123.94.154
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 05:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have "Obama's Small-Town Bitter" in the fermenter as we speak.

Skotrat
Advanced Member
Username: Skotrat

Post Number: 707
Posted From: 75.67.98.168
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

shouldn't this be moved to world expressions?

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 8939
Posted From: 24.57.225.170
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 12:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, the thread is beer-related, so I'm inclined to leave it here unless Pat decides otherwise.

Frankly, as much as I would relish a one-on-one conversation with any of the major candidates, all of this strikes me as election posturing. Are any of them really "regular joes or janes" who knock back shots and/or beers? Probably not, and why should this be held against them?

The only candidate of whom I have any personal knowledge is Hillary Clinton, and that is limited to stories from a friend who knew her casually about the time she and Bill were married. According to that source she would be more likely to have a glass of white wine than a boilermaker. As for Obama and McCain, perhaps they also relax over drinks of one kind or another at social and family occasions.

At any rate, in my opinion it all seems highly contrived and artificial to think we know any more about these people based on how they are depicted on the campaign trail.

(Message edited by BillPierce on June 03, 2008)

Paul Hayslett
Username: Paulhayslett

Post Number: 1678
Posted From: 71.234.46.245
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 02:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe it's more of a Northeast thing than I thought. I was as stunned as Faith Middleton to see candidates drink in public. Around here, politicians DO NOT DRINK IN PUBLIC (except, just possibly, one glass of wine with dinner). To see either Democratic candidate holding a beer is kind of shocking, like some age-old taboo has suddenly been broken. But maybe it's less of an issue elsewhere?

David S
Username: Dsundberg

Post Number: 232
Posted From: 12.191.191.60
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 03:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hillary could sit at a table with me, slam down a dozen of the best beers and I still wouldn't vote for her.

That family NEEDS to be out of our government.

Graham Cox
Username: T2driver

Post Number: 1696
Posted From: 68.32.253.156
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 03:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You know, maybe it's a calculated gamble.

I think Joe Sixpack probably views all of these clowns for what they are - multi-millionaires who have little connection to us "little people" out here. Maybe Joe is conflicted about who to vote for. Maybe Joe is more concerned about how he's going to pay for his next $70 fillup of his Ford F-150 with the gunrack in the back window. Maybe Joe likes to have an Anheuser-Busch product or two on occasion (and throw the empty can into the bed of said F-150 - not terribly bright, but hey, it's Joe.) Maybe Joe sees Hillary knocking back a boilermaker, contrived though it may be, and maybe he oombines that with Granny's "always vote Democrat" mantra, even though the Democrat platform left Granny's core beliefs 40 years ago, and Joe isn't bright enough to have picked up on that in the brief interim. (Hey, admittedly, 40 year isn't really that long. )

I don't like McCain politically, although I'd enjoy having a beer with him. I'd enjoy pouring a (bad) beer over Hillary or Hussein. At any rate, anything to do with beer in relation to any of these three clowns is utterly contrived. Vote your convictions, but don't do it based on any idiotic photo op.

Sand
Intermediate Member
Username: Sand

Post Number: 391
Posted From: 66.209.141.17
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 03:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey graham, what about joe millionaires that want a libritarian guy? I think you might like us.

(Message edited by Sand on June 03, 2008)

Ryan Messenger
Username: Rem

Post Number: 100
Posted From: 74.34.7.108
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 03:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I have "Obama's Small-Town Bitter" in the fermenter as we speak."

Colby, that is great, thanks for posting it! Anyhow, the actions of both Obama and Clinton are calculated to gain support at the polls. Anything staged in front of a camara tells us little, other than that they want to win the election.

Colby Enck
Advanced Member
Username: Thecheese

Post Number: 542
Posted From: 24.229.200.120
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 07:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not related to this issue, but next up is "Rachel Ray's Arabica Stout." The beans are Sunni, so it won't taste like Shi'ite.

Nyuk nyuk.

bill king
Username: Kingwj

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 68.80.1.27
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Then the "Al Sharpton Brown Nut Ale"?

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 8943
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about "Clinton's ESB"?

dhacker
Username: Dhacker

Post Number: 1454
Posted From: 74.226.104.157
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"McCain's Alt"

Denny Conn
Username: Denny

Post Number: 6789
Posted From: 63.114.138.2
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hussein??????

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 8947
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

His full name is Barack Hussein Obama, Denny. Be prepared (it already has made the rounds of the far-right talk shows) for claims that he is really a Muslim with a hidden agenda for America. He is named after his father. The facts are that his father was educated in Christian schools but became interested in and converted to Islam as a young man. By the time he died when he was in his 40s he was said to have turned against all religions.

I'm surprised more isn't made of the fact that Obama's father also became an alcoholic. He was partially paralyzed as the result of one auto accident, allegedly while driving drunk, and died from the complications of a second accident. Of course being the child of an alcoholic places Obama in the company of several presidents, including Reagan.

Denny Conn
Username: Denny

Post Number: 6790
Posted From: 63.114.138.2
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, Bill, I'm aware of that...I listen to the right wing talk shows where they disingenuously say "But that's his middle name, isn't it?". Well, then why don't they use the middle names of ALL the candidates? It's a slam against Obama and they don't have the honesty to admit it. I'd hope that the level of discourse would rise above that.

FlatWaterBrewer
Username: Flatwaterbrewer

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 68.189.230.34
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I have "Obama's Small-Town Bitter" in the fermenter as we speak."

That sounds like an awesome beer to shotgun, praise God.

Graham Cox
Username: T2driver

Post Number: 1707
Posted From: 68.32.253.156
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 09:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)