Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2008 * Archive through July 11, 2008 * Great brew day < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 9006
Posted From: 24.57.225.170
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ever since I got the White Labs WLP515 yeast (courtesy of a longtime B&V reader and occasional poster) I've been waiting to brew an Orval clone. After coming back from the NHC in Cincinnati, on Sunday I made the first yeast starter, which I stepped up again on Monday.

Today I brewed. My friend whose idea it was to brew this beer came along for the ride; he's an all-grain brewer but not familiar with my system, so he was there more for moral support than any real help (although he did empty and rinse out the mash tun).

Some days almost everything goes right. We had the yeast pitched five hours after mashing in, which is quick for me (I tend to be methodical). I was two points below the target O.G., but it's really no problem because the recipe was slightly big for style. Even in late June my tap water is 60 F, and the wort chilled quickly. It was clear and sweet smelling, and there is good activity in the airlock seven hours later.

My only boneheaded move was to turn over my HLT for cleaning with my floating thermometer still in it. Oh well; I've had it nine years, so I really can't complain.

Of course we had to sample a couple of Orvals (I'm culturing the bottle yeast to pitch into the secondary fermenter) for inspiration. The weather was warm (mid 80s F) but the humidity not too high. There was no rain despite the forecast for a 50 percent probability. Life is good when the brewing gods smile on you.

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 5478
Posted From: 71.217.153.195
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 01:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good deal, Bill. I should brew an Orval clone again, that was really an excellent beer. I take it you used the Paul Edwards/Adam W recipe that has been floating around here the past couple of years?

I think I will go smack a pack of WY3068, and hopefully be ready to brew a nice weissbier over the 4th. Then, it will time to brew the Aventinus clone!

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 9007
Posted From: 24.57.225.170
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 02:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I brewed the Paul Edwards/Adam W. recipe. The only substitute for Styrian Goldings was Willamette (in the ballpark but not really the same variety). On the other hand, I had no problem finding Hallertau Hersbrucker for bittering.

Good luck with the Aventinus clone. I'm quite partial to mine; the batch I brewed at the end of February is well over half gone. I substituted Weyermann chocolate wheat malt for the chocolate malt in the recipe. The result is a subtle smoky quality that some judges like a lot. It earned an average score of 40 in one competition. However, it got a score of 29 in another, seemingly because the lead judge objected that it wasn't to style (the other two judges were novices).

(Message edited by BillPierce on June 27, 2008)