Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2008 * Archive through August 26, 2008 * Club tasting of O2 vs. OO beer < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 3312
Posted From: 74.7.7.66
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So on Friday the 8th I'm doing a presentation at the Brewmaster's meeting on the OO debate. I also have the beer that was split with half getting O2 and the other half getting OO instead. I want to do a blind tasting and see if the group can identify which one is which.

I'm looking for the best way to do the tasting. I think the triangle test would be where you have 3 samples, with 2 of them being the same? Get everyone to vote on what sample they think is O2 or OO and why and then compile the results?

Denny Conn
Username: Denny

Post Number: 6861
Posted From: 140.211.82.4
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do a blind triangle test. 2 samples of one beer and one of the other. If people can't identify the different beer, any further responses from them are invalid. If they identify the beer that's different, then ask them which they think is which. Also, ask them questions about the characteristics of the beer. Is one maltier? does one have better mouthfeel. Try to figure out what it is the OO is supposed to be doing and aim your questions at that.

(Message edited by denny on July 30, 2008)

Tom Viemont
Username: Vantas

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 206.105.78.10
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd also suggest that this is best done in a written format, so that you gather the data on paper without fear of one person's opinion making others think they tasted something.

You could do the tasting prior to the meeting and then present your results AT the meeting. If you do this at the meeting, it would really slow the meeting down.

Denny Conn

Post Number: 6862
Posted From: 63.114.138.2
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I used written forms for the tasting experiments I did and it worked well. Vance, if you'd like to see the forms I used to get ideas for your own, shoot me an email.

Vance Barnes

Post Number: 3313
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was thinking of doing some forms. Some how mark which one is the odd/single one. Then which one that was vs the other 2 and list why they think which one(s) OO and which one(s) O2.

I'll email you about the form Denny.

Steve Jones
Advanced Member
Username: Stevej

Post Number: 538
Posted From: 76.7.159.69
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 01:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vance,

Do they all know it is an OO beer vs an O2 beer?

I'm no statistician, but I would think that when the tasters are more 'blind', the conclusions are more valid. If at all possible I'd try NOT to let them know that there were specific process differences.

Vance Barnes

Post Number: 3315
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So far they don't know that it's OO vs. O2. Maybe we do the tasting first and then have the presentation and go over the results?

Denny, thanks for the questionnaires. I may actually incorporate some of the format from both tastings into the tringle.

Denny Conn

Post Number: 6863
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vance, make sure you tell them nothing to start with. When I did the FWH triangle, I just said "Here are 3 beers. They may all be the same, 1 or 2 may be the same, or they may all be different". Then ask them to identify which, if any, is different. Go through the first set of questions. Then tell them which are the same, but nothing else, and ask your second set of questions. Of course, the only responses that count are the ones that correctly identified the different beer.

Bob Wall
Username: Brewdudebob

Post Number: 1613
Posted From: 24.248.74.254
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"So far they don't know that it's OO vs. O2"

I do.

Vance Barnes

Post Number: 3316
Posted From: 66.32.240.193
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob, so glad you volunteered to help me setup and run the tasting.

I guess Craig is now in the volunteer group since he too knows.

Josh Johnson
Username: Msujdog

Post Number: 146
Posted From: 167.73.110.8
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Damn. I just finshed a 10 gallon batch of my Centennial IPA, which I split into two 5g carboys. I wish I would've thought of doing the same thing for my club.

Definitely post the results after the tasting.

Vance Barnes

Post Number: 3328
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 03:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got the questionnaires and will have to enter all the data into XL and then graph the results. Just a quick survey at the meeting had some interesting results though.

About half the group identified the 2 beers that were alike. There were some flavor differences between the 2 batches. Of the people that prefered one over the other, most prefered the O2 over the OO beer. The opposite of what was reported at New Belgian during their experiments. They obviously have more experianced tasters than we did. There were a couple of BJCP rated tasters, some experianced but not BJCP, and a couple of newbies.

Everyone seemed to really enjoy doing the triangle tasting and the presentation. If you're looking for something to do for a club presentation I'd recommend this highly.

Denny Conn

Post Number: 6866
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just read on the B3 forum that NB has stopped using OO because they found it reduced the shelf life of the beer.

Bob G.
Intermediate Member
Username: Brewerbob

Post Number: 449
Posted From: 24.23.19.188
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Going back to good ol 02 for me.

Kevin Kowalczyk
Intermediate Member
Username: Itsfunbrewingbeer

Post Number: 267
Posted From: 67.167.4.225
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 03:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We're waiting!

brett matthews
Intermediate Member
Username: Brettj

Post Number: 289
Posted From: 124.150.127.146
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Denny, by how much was the shelf life reduced? Do you have any data points?
Homebrewers tend to churn through their beers quickly so it may not be such a problem.
I could imagine if normal shelf life of NB beer 6 months but cut down to 5 months it could be a problem.

Denny Conn

Post Number: 6872
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No details yet, Brett. I'll see what I can find and post anything relevant. But combined with Vance's taste tests where a large majority of tasters preferred the O2 beer over the OO beer,it pretty much kills my desire to use OO.

brett matthews
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 290
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd be interested to see if NB detected any decrease or for that matter increase in beer quality and if they conducted their own consumer taste tests.
Vance's test is interesting, but it's only one taste test! As I've mentioned before, the last 2 beers brewed I've used OO, (a dubbel and a ESB) these are the best 2 beers I've brewed for a long time, and a APA that has just finished fermenting tastes amazing. This is a standard brew so I'm well tuned to what it looks like at each stage. This brew is remarkably clean and the hop character appears very fresh. So for me, if I keep getting these results I'll keep using OO.
I'm still staggered at the tunnel visioned attitude to this OO thing. I like this board because of the brewers willingness to take on new ideas but I'm not sure I've seen any topic split the board like OO (I'm sure there has been something in the deep dark past!)
I guess we can stuff around with parallel, triangular, whatever tastings but I think the best way to see if this work is to try it yourself with a standard brew that you know well.

Vance Barnes

Post Number: 3339
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 03:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"(I'm sure there has been something in the deep dark past!)"

HSA? If not here, on the hbd for sure.

Still working on getting the data entered in XL and doing graphs. I've got Part 1 done and may get to start on Part 2.

Denny Conn

Post Number: 6874
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brett, I just don't see how wanting to get something verified amounts to "tunnel vision". If you had done a blind triangle test like Vance did, rather than saying the OO beers were your best, we'd have even more info to evaluate. Skepticism and a desire for proof should not be mistaken for tunnel vision.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 9120
Posted From: 69.157.30.201
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brett, I agree that a simple tasting to decide whether you like a particular batch may be good enough for your own purposes. However, it's hardly an objective evaluation that you can have confidence will stand up over repeated examples by multiple tasters. That's the kind of evidence you're seeking before you can make a blanket statement that a specific technique results in better beer.

Kevin Kowalczyk
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 268
Posted From: 12.165.82.136
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It would help if Vance hurried up and posted the results.

Denny Conn

Post Number: 6875
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, Bill, you were SO much more diplomatic than I was! :-)

Vance Barnes

Post Number: 3343
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Form your own opinions

Marc Rehfuss
Username: Marc_rehfuss

Post Number: 71
Posted From: 199.133.214.221
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone conducted a test with non oxygenated and non oiled wort as a negative control? I wouldn't be surprised if the oil treated batches were the same as the non oxygenated ones.

Is only the starter receiving the treatment, or is the main wort only, or both? Pardon my questions. I'm just curious to try this, once I know what has already been done and what is standard practice.

Kevin Kowalczyk
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 269
Posted From: 12.165.82.136
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It looks like only 7 samplers got the triangular test correct, yet you're showing results for taste, aroma, and oxidation for 11.

brett matthews
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 291
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Denny, I'm just saying give it a shot, surely the best way to verify something is to see for yourself. I'm sure for every example or publication to show the beneifits of OO I can find, you would be able to find those to the contrary. Also, I tend to think we give more credence to those reports that prove for or against OO depending on what bias we have.
I'm certainly not wanting to portray my results as definitave proof that OO is a substitute for aeration, it's hardly that. What I'm saying is that there has been a quantum leap in my beer quality over the last 3 brews. The only thing that has changed is the addition of OO - malt, water treatment, de-chlorination, pitching rates etc have remained unchanged.
To exclude something as fundamental as aeration (and for quite sometime I was under-aerating my wort so I'm know the effect it has) is not something I'd entertain unless I was sure the substitute worked. I tried it once and it worked. Second and third time, worked again. If there was any sign of under-aeration I would immediately go back to the aquarium pump and air stone but I'm certainly not getting any signs of 'flabbiness' that for me anyway, was something I got time and time again when under aerating.
I'm not scientifically minded so I generally take the leap of faith and if something new gives me positive results time and time again I'll run with it. Don't need to know how and why everything works, just need to know that it does.
In the words of one of your great countrymen - 'There are known unknowns and then there are unknown unknowns'

Vance Barnes

Post Number: 3344
Posted From: 66.32.233.58
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kevin, I did enter all the info for the Prt 2 as they were told at that point which 2 were the same but not that they were OO and O2. The results for Part 2 were all over the place it seems anyhow. I will go back and delete the ones that didn't get part 1 right and see if it looks much different.

I don't have the file with the questions here at home with me but I'll post the questions for both parts next week.

Kevin Kowalczyk
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 271
Posted From: 67.167.4.225
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought that was the point of the triangular test, to get results from people who could differentiate between the two samples. I'm not trying to fault your results, I just wonder if it would make a difference. I've never done one of these before myself. Either way, the sample size is too small.

HEU Brewer
Intermediate Member
Username: Heu_brewer

Post Number: 383
Posted From: 146.137.152.40
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So in summary there was not preference between the OO (4 votes) and O2 beers (6 votes).

(Message edited by HEU_Brewer on August 18, 2008)

Denny Conn

Post Number: 6877
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you add the "no preference" and the O2, what it shows is that there was no clear preference for the OO beer.

Vance Barnes

Post Number: 3348
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Part 2 revised

This is the Part 2 data with only the folks that properly identified the 2 that were the same in Part 1. It now shows that the O2 beer had a cleaner taste but the OO beer had better hop flavor.

Vance Barnes

Post Number: 3349
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Part 1
1) These 3 samples are:
- The same
- One is different from the other two
- All three are different from each other

2) If two or more beers are the same, list which they are.

3) If you detected a difference, pick from the list what applied to each sample.
A. More hop flavor and aroma
B. Less hop flavor and aroma
c. More hop bitterness
D. Less hop bitterness
E. Cleaner fermentation flavor
F. More fermentation esters
G. Oxidation
H. No oxidation

Red Sample Yellow Sample Green Sample

4. Did you prefer one or more of the samples? Red, Yellow, Green, No preference

5. If you had a preference(s), what was it that you preferred about it?

Part 2

Identify the 2 samples and re-label as 1 and 2 (Red and Green = 1, Yellow = 2)

1) Thinking of clean taste, did one sample seem to have a cleaner taste?
1 2 No Preference

2) Subjectively describe your impression of the clean taste of each sample

3) Thinking of hop flavor and aroma, did one sample seem to have more?
1 2 No Preference

4) Subjectively describe your impression of the hop flavor and aroma of each sample.

3) Thinking of oxidation, did one sample seem to have any/more?
1 2 No Preference

4) Subjectively describe your impression of the oxidation of each sample.

Part 3

Write any comments you may have on the differences between the 2 samples. Continue on the back if you need to.

HEU Brewer
Intermediate Member
Username: Heu_brewer

Post Number: 384
Posted From: 146.137.152.40
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 09:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So neither method has a "flavor" advantage.

Isn't that what the thesis was to begin with.

brett matthews
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 292
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sure if you lined up a beer that received no aeration or OO for that matter, it would stand out like white balls on a black dog.
What it invariably will come down to is whether you prefer the flavour differences you get from conventional aeration or OO.