Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2008 * Archive through August 26, 2008 * Low original gravity < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Chris oneill
Username: Johannas123

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 161.150.2.57
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

obviously there are many things to go wrong while making beer and i am new to this BB but i just started brewing a few weeks back and the first batch which was a kit worked perfect (nut brown) and after this early success i was super happy. moving on from there we talked to the guy at the local brew shop and he gave us a recipe of his own for an amber ale. well from the start the OG was quite a bit lower than what we wanted and i was wonder what this could be attributed to.

Dan Listermann
Username: Listermann

Post Number: 5743
Posted From: 65.29.223.32
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you did a partial boil, there is a very good chance that the wort was stratified and the hydrometer read low.

What were the ingredients to the kit. Five gallons, right?

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 3334
Posted From: 74.7.7.66
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you didn't boil the entire volume then Dan's got the ticket. Even if you think you completely mixed the wort and water the temperature differences cause stratification.

Unless you're mashing it's almost impossible to not hit the calculated OG. 2 cans of LME or 2 3lb bags of DME are going to give you a gravity close to 1.060.

Chris oneill

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yea 5 gallons we used all dry malt actually used a lot looking for higher gravity dont quote me but i believe that it was 3 bags of pilsen malt two types of crystal (brisse?) for steeping then a couple of different types of hops also a california style yeast sorry if i am not that informative i have the recipe at home and i am at work

Chris oneill

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

now when we talk about boiling the entire volume are we talking about boiling 5 galls for the wort

Michael Boyd
Intermediate Member
Username: Mlboyd

Post Number: 361
Posted From: 69.85.158.6
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris, how many pounds of dry malt? You say Pilsen dry malt? Iíve never heard of it, but that doesnít mean much. The crystal will add very little to the OG, so for your purposes Iíd just take the pounds of malt, for example 5, times 1.46 = 5.23. Divide by the number of gallons to the fermenter, again for example 5, = 1.046 OG.

As Vance says, if youíre not getting calculated OG, itís probably the measuring technique. Post the entire recipe and youíll get lots of help.

Denny Conn
Username: Denny

Post Number: 6869
Posted From: 140.211.82.4
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, since some liquid will evaporate during the boil, you need to boil maybe 6.5-7 gal. for a 5 gal. batch.