Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2008 * Archive through December 17, 2008 * New hop extract < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Little Dipper
Intermediate Member
Username: Littledipper

Post Number: 455
Posted From: 70.230.238.85
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The future is here!

http://www.northernbrewer.com/hopshot.html

Paul Hayslett
Username: Paulhayslett

Post Number: 1937
Posted From: 71.234.46.245
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like the fact that it comes in a syringe. Now you can mainline IBUs directly when you need a hit. No need to fuss with beer as a delivery mechanism!

Layne Rossi
Username: Manwithbeers

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 208.181.172.132
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Extract brewers go nuts... Putting Hop Extract into my All Grain Wort just doesn't feel right.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 9563
Posted From: 24.150.192.193
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not laughing too hard. After all, a number of Belgian brewers, including Chimay, use hop extract. Hops are not the distinguishing characteristic of most Belgian beers.

They don't mention the hop variety the extract is made from. For the ultimate solution for extract brewers they also need to offer various hop oils (Cascade, Fuggles, Saaz, Tettnanger, etc.) for aroma additions.

Denny Conn
Username: Denny

Post Number: 7068
Posted From: 140.211.82.4
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They sent me 10 of those to test before they were put on the market. It's interesting stuff, and I haven't made up my mind whether I like it or not. The bittering seems very mellow, kinda like using Magnum for bittering. The word is that it's made from a blend of hops using a CO2 extraction technique. That means it's not isomerized like other hop extracts I've used in the past. It has a great aroma to it, though.

Shane Mock
Username: Zlatypivo

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 69.95.122.241
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Give me Saaz Hop Extract now!!!!!!!!!!

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 3477
Posted From: 74.7.7.66
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"it's not isomerized"

Was wondering about the 60 minute boil but that explains it.

Bill, I think it's Hoptech that does offer several varieties of non-isomerized hop oils for late hop flavor and aroma. I know I've bought Cascade oil and tried it. Decided I liked dryhopping better. Although this new double hop french press method may become my new fav.

bierslayer
Username: Bierslayer

Post Number: 102
Posted From: 128.104.92.246
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Although this new double hop french press method may become my new fav."

Can you elaborate on this? I haven't been around much lately.

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 3484
Posted From: 74.7.7.66
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

See the Double Hop Usage in BYO thread

Michael
Advanced Member
Username: Hoppop

Post Number: 911
Posted From: 24.74.166.143
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trainspotting...or, in this case, Hopspotting...

She - "Honey, it is great that you are homebrewing....a great home hobby...I love your Bock...but...

He - "Yes, the Bock was excellent....the guys at the Bowling league who don't like that fancy stuff...they liked the Bock...."

She - "I understand the 20 corny kegs...the eight sacks of grain in the garage...but, a syringe....a syringe? My God, where has this gone...."

He - "Did I tell you Billy spared a turkey last league night?..."

IMO, the whole point of homebrewing is starting with the basics...malt, water, yeast, hops...at their most basic form....mashing....sparging...boiling...fermenting....and finally a great pint in your hand.

Hey...adding REAL hops is part of the fun...this product gentrifies the process more..IMO...