Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2008 * Archive through December 17, 2008 * A new FWH thread < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

ChriSto
Intermediate Member
Username: Christo

Post Number: 466
Posted From: 216.176.226.154
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did I miss it or did Denny's/Jamil's article on FWHing ever come out in Zymurgy? I seem to be missing 2 issues at home. Plus I guess I'm getting old because I don't recall reading it.

I had a long talk with the brewmaster at Moon River yesterday (he being in the "FWHing is voodoo" category). Each year Moon River brews the winning BOS beer from our competition and we were perusing the recipe. Of course this year's winner is a FWH'd Pale Ale.

While he plans to make the beer true to the recipe, Pink is still of the opinion that it's a waste of hops. I referenced the discussion here from summer '07 for him to peruse. He still says it's a waste of hops. Now I'm looking for the Zymurgy/BYO articles listed in that thread.

He'll probably still say it's a waste of hops. It looks like the discussion has at least piqued his interest enough, though, that he may do some test trials with his own beer and send in for lab analysis for actual IBU testing. He's actually been doing a lot of experimentation with no boil and short-boil hopping and how much bitterness can be extracted in that manner (kind of a cost- and time-saving maneuver) with some very interesting results.

I think I'm going to talk to our club members about doing our own FWH experiment as our annual club group brew project this year. Do the 60/20/1 hop schedule vs. the FWH/60/1 schedule and do blind tastings for perceived hop flavor and bitterness between 10-12 batches. If we end up unanimous in either direction, maybe we're onto something. I know it's difficult to control the variables at the homebrew level, but if there is a definitive enough trend, then maybe it will be helpful to others.

Denny Conn
Username: Denny

Post Number: 7067
Posted From: 140.211.82.4
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 05:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I never did the article for Zymurgy, but I presented the results at a seminar at NHC last summer. You can find it here...

http://www.beertown.org/events/hbc/presentations/DennyConn.pdf

starting on pg. 29. The results of the decoction experiment are right before it.

If you do the experiment, I'd encourage you to do it like I did. Use ONLY FWH in one beer and ONLY a 60 min. addition in the other. FWIW, I found that the FWH beer measured 10% more IBUs, but tasted like less.

ChriSto
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 467
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gosh. I really am getting old. Not sure how I missed your talk at NHC.

Come to think of it, I can only remember the initial mead talk with the Minnesota guys. After that it's all a blur.

too much time in the hospitality room I guess

Thanks, Denny. I'll check it out on the non-blocked computer at home.

Denny Conn
Username: Denny

Post Number: 7069
Posted From: 140.211.82.4
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The hospitality suite can be dangerous!!

ChriSto
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 468
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Figured it out. We were getting a tour around Cincinnati at that time. Knew I couldn't be slipping that bad!