Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2008 * Archive through December 17, 2008 * Homebrewer needs help < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Paul Hayslett
Username: Paulhayslett

Post Number: 1950
Posted From: 71.234.46.245
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the 'Tis The Season thread, I mentioned that my long-time brew partner came through his hip-replacement surgery well. It turns out I spoke too soon. While I was visiting him in the hospital today, they were getting ready to transfer him to the ICU. He may have a rough road ahead.

Best guess is that the surgery triggered Guillain-Barre Syndrome, as surgery sometimes does. If true, he's looking at 3 - 6 weeks in the hospital, possibly paralyzed for much of it, possibly on a respirator for a week or two. 30% of people who get it need a respirator. Even in the best ICUs, 3% die. 30% still have residual weakness after 3 years.

Rob, Jim, and I have been brewing and drinking together for 6 years. I've only brewed without Rob a few times since '03. He is like family, like an uncle to my kids. I'm not taking this well.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could put in a word on his behalf with the deity of your choice. Rob, being less religious and more sure of the healing power of beer, would probably prefer that you raise a pint of homebrew in his honor. Whichever you choose to do, thank you.

Matt C.
Username: Brewdad

Post Number: 56
Posted From: 98.114.90.28
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You got it Paul. My family will keep him in our prayers.

tim roth
Advanced Member
Username: Hopdude

Post Number: 703
Posted From: 12.214.13.198
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paulie-
Prayer and a glass of wheatwine to your buddy Rob!
cheers,tim

Tom Gardner
Username: Tom

Post Number: 1142
Posted From: 71.56.208.229
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good thoughts and cheers from here!

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 9578
Posted From: 24.150.192.193
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 12:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's not good news, Paul. It makes me even more thankful that I survived hip replacement surgery in 2002 (to correct lingering problems from an injury when I was in my early 20s) with flying colors.

Indeed I'll raise a goblet of my Orval clone to Rob's full recovery. This beer is turning into one of the best I've brewed in a very long time.

Michael
Advanced Member
Username: Hoppop

Post Number: 913
Posted From: 24.74.166.143
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 01:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Raising a toast...thoughts and prayers. As much as there is disagreement in the HB community, it is really all 6 degrees of separation, me thinks.

gregory gettman
Advanced Member
Username: Gregman

Post Number: 695
Posted From: 69.183.222.182
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 01:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul which Hospital?

Paul Hayslett

Post Number: 1953
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 02:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, everyone. I do really appreciate it.

GG, He's at St. Raphael's. I feel a little lost there. We always went to YNHH because that's where my dad worked. But I'm sure I'll get to know it pretty well over the next couple of months.

Bob D
Username: Fl_bob

Post Number: 52
Posted From: 64.12.116.145
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 04:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have done both.

Mike G.
Intermediate Member
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 307
Posted From: 64.68.174.91
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul,

He's in my prayers as well. I will raise a glass, too- which reminds me to get brewin' as supplies are low....

I hope all goes well.

Richard Nye
Username: Yeasty_boy

Post Number: 2106
Posted From: 68.111.68.20
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 02:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Paul,
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I'm sure it's not easy to look forward to the prospect of being in the hospital over the holidays. And in many cases it even harder on friends and family. He's in my prayers and I'll raise a pint to him also. I hope he recovers quicker than expected.

Steve Pierson
Intermediate Member
Username: Stevepierson

Post Number: 404
Posted From: 71.36.18.104
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will keep your friend in my thoughts and raise a pint for him this evening.

jeff wright
Username: Barly

Post Number: 232
Posted From: 24.131.110.190
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 05:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul,
I'll keep both of you in my prayers. Friends are sometimes closer than family, and you sound like you're having a difficult time. May God bless you both.

jeff

Dave Witt
Username: Davew

Post Number: 1199
Posted From: 24.13.28.186
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul, both you and Rob are in my thoughts and prayers and I will raise a pint to you guys getting to brew together again soon.

michael atkins
Advanced Member
Username: Mga

Post Number: 675
Posted From: 216.161.69.207
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 02:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul and Rob we are thinking of you and you are in our prayers.

FWIW I was a Hospital CEO in my former life (several years ago prior to retirement) and I have run across that diagnosis (Guillain-Barre Syndrome which is quite rare)3 different times. All had favorable outcomes.

The last was a 73 year old man that I met last year, that guided me and a friend on a duck hunt and had recovered from "almost wheelchair bound" to "totally asymptomatic", five years ago.

I checked on him this past month (to arrange another duck hunt)and he was laid up with a broken leg from falling out of a tree stand while deer hunting.

So hang in there - Life still goes on!

You will brew with Rob again.

Paul Hayslett

Post Number: 1956
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your prayers and beers must be working. Rob is holding steady at the moment and may even be improving a little. Things are looking good.

As Michael says, GBS is exceedingly rare. I only know about it because one of my wife's patients had it early in her career. His case was bad. He got weaker and weaker for 2 weeks until he could not breathe on his own. He spent 4 weeks on a vent, then 3 more weeks in the hospital, then 3 more weeks after that in rehab rebuilding wasted muscles. He was fine in the end. But it was a long, unpleasant, expensive journey.

Rob seems to have stopped getting weaker. I don't know if it's because he has a mild case, because he was diagnosed early and put on drug therapy, or because of the help and support he's received here. Or all 3. But if he's holding steady now, he may avoid a prolonged hospital stay.

Thank you all again. I can't tell you how much your support means to me.

Ryan Messenger
Username: Rem

Post Number: 134
Posted From: 74.34.7.108
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul, my thoughts and prayers are with Rob. I hope he continues to get better. I can tell you one thing, he is lucky to have a good friend like you to be with him in this difficult time.

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 3490
Posted From: 74.7.7.66
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pints and prayers to you and Rob. You never know the outcome of any surgery. Had a friend go for his second hip replacement several years ago. Came through the surgery fine but then had a stroke and never recovered. But I've got another friend that's been through GBS and has been fine now for years.

Here's hoping for the latter for Rob.

Bierview
Intermediate Member
Username: Bierview

Post Number: 416
Posted From: 67.81.178.93
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Prayers and beer, what a combination. Cheers to Rob........