Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2009 * Archive through May 19, 2009 * Three Floyds Pride and Joy Mild < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Colin Brietzke
Username: Colin

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 67.175.160.65
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 04:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For anyone who has tasted this beer, they know that it is no mild, but that it does completely fit the description for a session beer for hopheads. This is not a bitter beer though... it has the most amazing hop flavor and aroma which I fell in love with all over again last weekend at Goose Island Brewpub (in Chicago) where they now have some guest beers on tap.

So, now I must clone it, but since there is little info on the internet about it I thought I'd tap the brain trust of the forum members.

1. Is this beer made with Amarillo or Amarillo and Cascades?
2. When are the relative proportions of hops added
3. Is it first wort hopped?
4. Thoughts about the grain bill?
5. What yeast (I hear Three Floyds uses the London ESB)
6. What additional questions would you want to ask the brewers (I am going on their brewery tour this Saturday)
7. What makes it so damn good?

Thanks,
Colin

The following were the best thinking I could find on Pride and Joy:
http://www.brewnation.org/2009/03/homebrew-recipe-three-floyds-pride-and-joy-clo ne/

(Message edited by Colin on April 22, 2009)

The Jolly Brewer
Username: Matfink

Post Number: 2166
Posted From: 92.233.31.3
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd ask the brewer all the above!

Colin Brietzke

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 12:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone have any opinions about this beer?

The Jolly Brewer

Post Number: 2168
Posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 08:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry Colin, only that it sounds wonderful but I doubt I'll ever get to try it as very few US beers make it over to England.

Jeff Swearengin
Username: Beertracker

Post Number: 1256
Posted From: 216.97.167.75
Posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it's a fine beer, but it's definitely not a mild. Probably more of an Special Bitter or even a light APA.

Bill Pierce
Username: Billpierce

Post Number: 10227
Posted From: 24.141.103.148
Posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had it the last time I was in Chicago and enjoyed it well enough. I agree that it in no way is a mild ale. It's a style-bender, and Jeff's suggestion of calling it a low gravity (I'd guess the O.G. is about 1.040) APA is as good as any.

Paul Erbe
Username: Perbe

Post Number: 1306
Posted From: 64.233.251.195
Posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know that 3 Floyds uses a lot of the style names that we are accustomed too. I don't think they pay much attention the the "norms" when developing beers.

Steve Anderson
Intermediate Member
Username: Steveinmemphis

Post Number: 294
Posted From: 216.37.68.121
Posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The recipe from the Brewnation website looks close to my "house APA", which evolved from the standard SNPA clone recipe. I started using a mixture of Cascades and Amarillo about 3 batches ago. I started out using equall amounts each, but I found that the Amarillos overwhelm the Cascades. In my most recent batch, I bittered with Perle, and added 2:1 ratio of Cascades:Amarillos at 30 minutes and knockout. I tasted it at kegging time and found the Ammarillos still dominated the aroma, so I hopped the keg with another 1/2 oz of Cascades. It is one of my best APAs ever.

Colin Brietzke

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 02:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jolly... We all have a cross to bear. I have to live with the fact that one cannot get Courage Directors here, but whatchagonnadoaboutit? ;)

Jeff, Bill & Paul. I totally agree that this is not a "mild" in any proper sense but I would vote for the definition of "American Mild" in that the color is about right, it is a great session beer and it is hoppy (though not overwhelmingly so). Three Floyds does nothing "to style" and that is why I am drinking there heavily this weekend.

Steve... tell me how you compare the taste/smell of cascades vs. amarillo. I have seen people describe them as similar, but I don't taste it. Wondering what your thoughts are.

Anyone ever tried to Clone P&J Mild?

Thanks all,
Colin

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 10231
Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 02:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not that it's a flaw, but I'd say Pride and Joy is light (about 9 SRM) for a mild (12 SRM at the lightest). About all I could say about a clone would be to use the general grain bill for an APA (SNPA is a worthy one, of course, or Goose Island Honkers), aim for a color of about 9 SRM, an O.G. of 1.040 and 35 IBUs. My guess about hops (remember, I only had this beer once) would be to bitter with Cascades, use Amarillo for flavor and a light touch of both Amarillo and Cascades for aroma. Then dry hop with Cascades, (half an ounce per 5 gallons) as Steve suggests. It might take a few iterations to dial it in, but you would be drinking good beer in the pursuit of P&J.

Colin Brietzke

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 04:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill, do you think bittering with Cascades will taste noticably different from bittering with Amarillo (or Simcoe for that matter)? I just happen to have a lot of sitting around.

Colin Brietzke

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 04:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm. A and S as abbreviations Amarillo and Simcoe (using an ampersand instead of "and")gets flagged as a naughty word. Interesting.

Bill Pierce

Post Number: 10232
Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 04:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Probably not, Colin. As long as you didn't bitter with something very distinctive such as Chinooks, I don't think you'd notice the difference.

Colin Brietzke

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 05:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any thoughts on the whole first wort hopping for this beer? Just move all of the 30 min additions to the pot as you are running off?

CB

The Jolly Brewer

Post Number: 2170
Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I have to live with the fact that one cannot get Courage Directors here"

There was a time this was a good beer, and it may be that it is again now that Youngs Wells have taken over production of it, but there was a time that it was so bland as to be almost undrinkable.

Bill, just a data point on the colour of mild. In the UK mild can be any colour although dark mild is the norm. Mild is as mentioned to do with hop bitterness and perception. CAMRA run a mild promotion every year and promote dark and light mild. The available beers also run a fairly wide gamut of strengths.

(Message edited by matfink on April 24, 2009)

Jeff Rankert
Username: Hopfenundmalz

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 76.122.147.39
Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

About a year ago I had the Pride and Joy on cask at the Map Room. It was Mild when compared to the other Three Floyds' beers. Not at all like an English Mild, more of an APA as has been stated.

Steve Anderson
Intermediate Member
Username: Steveinmemphis

Post Number: 295
Posted From: 216.37.68.121
Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Colin,
I get a distinct grapefruit flavor and aroma from cascades, and tangerine/candy from amarillo. I have used amarillo to bitter in one of my recipes. I would think it would be better for bittering than cascades simply because it usually has a higher AA rating.

Colin Brietzke

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mmmmm... P&J on caks could be amazing. Anyway, I went to FFF today for their Darklord Day but things were just too busy to bug a brewer. I'll have to think about it next weekend...

CB