Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2009 * Archive through August 24, 2009 * CO2 Cartridge < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

michael atkins
Advanced Member
Username: Mga

Post Number: 722
Posted From: 71.38.64.78
Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have one of those small portable CO2 cartridge devices that fits onto the quick connect for dispensing kegs. It came with 16g cartridges, which I have used, and its supposed to also work with the 12g cartridge.

I bought a box of 12g paint ball cartridges at Wally World, and they don't exactly fit. They leak CO2 all over, however I have found that if I toss a couple of o rings (the keg post size o rings) into the bottom of the device it raises the 12g cartridge enough to make it work.

Also the 12g paint ball one's say "Not For Human Consumption".

Does anyone see a problem with this?

TIA

Dan Listermann
Username: Listermann

Post Number: 6676
Posted From: 74.83.191.159
Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is an adapter to make 12g cartridges work in the 16g bulbs.

I have used any number of Wally World cartridges without issue in minikegs. If there was appreciable oil in the cartridge, head retention would be destroyed.

Vance Barnes
Username: Vancebarnes

Post Number: 3723
Posted From: 69.199.10.66
Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What Dan said. It should come with a white nylon slieve that the smaller cartridge slips into and then both go into the charger housing.

michael atkins
Advanced Member
Username: Mga

Post Number: 723
Posted From: 71.38.64.182
Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Humm - - No white nylon sleeve came with it unless I threw it out with the packaging!

Thanks Dan and Vance.

Chumley
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 5881
Posted From: 71.217.153.90
Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought a package of those "not fit for human consumption" CO2 cartridges.....I wasted one of them, discharging it on a paper towel. It left a bit of oil on the towel....it smelled like household 3 in 1 oil. Not something I wanted in my beer....so I threw the rest of them away.

I would recommend performing a similar test on one of your cartridges. If no oil, they should be good to use.

Hedgie Bartol
Username: Hedgieb

Post Number: 244
Posted From: 75.181.136.29
Posted on Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can also tell you that I used them a couple years ago on our annual beach trip (coming up next week with a nice american ale on tap). There was a definite oil taste from those things... actually pretty nasty... Maybe different manufacturers have different levels...

Paul Edwards
Username: Pedwards

Post Number: 1772
Posted From: 70.236.78.206
Posted on Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A friend had the same thing happen when he used a generic CO2 cartridge to dispense beer.

My LHBS store sells cartridges that are safe for beer use, so he uses those now.

I took the remaining generic ones off his hands to use for fixing flat bicycle tires out on the road.

Belly Buster Bob
Username: Canman

Post Number: 3087
Posted From: 131.137.245.198
Posted on Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

those carts can be used as long as you use them slowly. Fill very slow and the tiny bit of oil in them won't come thru. If you blast it it will impart the oily taste.
I just didn't have the heart to toss 3 cases of these carts away after getting them free (read cheap bast@#$) so I had to find a way to use them. I know.....why bother risking??? well even when I get the oily taste I still drink the beer

Hedgie Bartol
Username: Hedgieb

Post Number: 245
Posted From: 75.181.136.29
Posted on Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh don't get me wrong Bob, the beer found its way down my throat... Oil and all! I may be crazy, but I ain't stupid!

John Thompson
Advanced Member
Username: Jt100

Post Number: 502
Posted From: 72.226.237.77
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My best friend worked at Crosman Airguns for awhile as an engineer. A few years ago, I was serving homebrew from CO2 cartridges and he wouldn't touch it. And he is a craft brew drinker. I don't recall the specifics but he wouldn't even consider drinking the beer. Reason enough for me to stop using them.

PaulK
Advanced Member
Username: Paulk

Post Number: 845
Posted From: 68.63.203.31
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I contacted Crosman about their 12 gram cartridges some time back and they stated that there is NO oil in their cartridges.

Bob Boufford
Intermediate Member
Username: Bobb

Post Number: 433
Posted From: 96.52.216.245
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Crosman 12 gram cartridges I purchased within the last year, definitely had oil or some type of oily tasting substance in them. I gave them to a friend for his paint ball fun.

Since then I order all my mini-keg/TAD cartridges through my LHBS, which are Leland for the 12 and 16 gram and Liss for the 8 gram. The 8 and 16 gram packages are labeled for food/beer dispensing. The Leland 12 gram aren't labeled but I haven't had the taste issues that I had with the Crosman.

Paul Hayslett
Username: Paulhayslett

Post Number: 2240
Posted From: 71.234.45.166
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many years back, I tried making seltzer with 8g cartridges which WERE labeled for food/drink. They definitely had oil or something in them. The seltzer was just nasty. I couldn't understand why anyone would bother making their own.

So it was with great unease that I started using TAD bottles a few years back. Things seem to have gotten better, or maybe the brand I'm getting from my LHBS (ISI) is better, because I have no flavor problems now.

PaulK
Advanced Member
Username: Paulk

Post Number: 847
Posted From: 68.63.203.31
Posted on Friday, August 14, 2009 - 04:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob- Based on my tests where I dispensed entire cartridges on white paper and also getting the official word from Crosman, I feel quite confident there is no oil in their cartridges. I can't explain what off flavors you experienced as I haven't had those issues.

Dan Listermann
Username: Listermann

Post Number: 6735
Posted From: 74.83.191.159
Posted on Friday, August 14, 2009 - 01:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It has been a while, but I recall being told that Daisy cartridges still have oil in them. I was lead to believe that no others do.

Bob Boufford
Intermediate Member
Username: Bobb

Post Number: 434
Posted From: 96.52.216.245
Posted on Saturday, August 15, 2009 - 12:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul- I no longer have the cartridges so can't test them. I do remember they had a "corbra snake" picture on the packaging. They were also purchased in Canada at the local equivalent of Western Auto. As I've been finding with other things, what is said in the States may not apply in other countries, such as certain US-based food products sold in Canada having far more salt than the same product sold in the States.

As I mentioned earlier, I have had very good experience with Leland cartridges that I think my LHBS gets through LD Carlson. So I'm going to stay with my LHBS instead of the local sporting goods or tire store.

John Thompson
Advanced Member
Username: Jt100

Post Number: 503
Posted From: 72.226.237.77
Posted on Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 03:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I talked to my friend more tonight regarding the Crosman cartridges. He was an engineer there in the late 90's and as Paul stated there was NO oil added for gun lubrication. What concerned him was the fact that the cartridges were being treated with Trichloroethylene during the manufacturing process. Granted he said they were trying to get away from it, so he can't say what they are doing now. He also said they were treated with a rust inhibitor and an oil based coolant as the cartridges were being drawn or extruded. There was also concern about "tainting" the CO2 because of a 1/8-1/4" strip at the neck which vaporized the machining oil/rust inhibitor as they were welded and sealed. The cartridges were only cleaned on the outside right before plating. i.e. all the contaminants were still on the inside at the time of sealing. Crosman considered removing the "not for human consumption" label at one point, but due to the expense of "purifying" the manufacturing process decided against it. I'm not an engineer, so if anyone would like more info, he would have no problem providing specifics as he remembers them. He doesn't doubt that Paul was told that there is no oil in the product for gun lubrication but he also said they are branded with the "not for human consumption" label for a reason.

(Message edited by jt100 on August 16, 2009)

(Message edited by jt100 on August 16, 2009)